2018-19 Blackhawks Roster Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Bickell's contract wouldn't have been bad at all if he had stayed healthy. No way to foresee MS doing what it did to his career. He was coming off a dominant playoff run, and if he had maintained that(I know, consistency was his biggest issue) then he would have been great on that contract. And even if he didn't stay entirely consistent at that playoff level, the contract would have been movable without losing TT, easily.
I agree, that if he was healthy he would have been easier to move. Or if they caught the MS in CHI that we could have LTIRd him. But they lost TT, the contract ending up hurting pretty bad in the end. If we have TT right now, we could afford to trade a younger player for a pretty good Dman.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I agree, that if he was healthy he would have been easier to move. Or if they caught the MS in CHI that we could have LTIRd him. But they lost TT, the contract ending up hurting pretty bad in the end. If we have TT right now, we could afford to trade a younger player for a pretty good Dman.

I don't disagree. I just think Bickell is a hard one to dump on Bowman, considering the MS diagnosis derailing his career. He was a solid bottom 6 guy when in his prime/healthy. You could expect 25-30 points, solid defense, solid possession, and some physicality to go with it.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't disagree. I just think Bickell is a hard one to dump on Bowman, considering the MS diagnosis derailing his career.
At the time I thought they should re-sign him,but 4mil was too much. Quite a few people thought they should let him go, which probably would have been the right move at the time. Could have kept Leddy too, probably. Hindsight, again, is 20/20, but Bowman has done a lot of good for the team in the past, just not much lately.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
At the time I thought they should re-sign him,but 4mil was too much. Quite a few people thought they should let him go, which probably would have been the right move at the time. Could have kept Leddy too, probably. Hindsight, again, is 20/20, but Bowman has done a lot of good for the team in the past, just not much lately.

Yeah, he was overpaid at 4m. I wanted him resigned around 3m or so, maybe slightly less if they could convince him of that. Was overpaid by about 1m. In hindsight, though, I'm actually happy he was overpaid, at this point. He got more money to set himself up for taking care of his health and his family after he couldn't play anymore once the MS diagnosis was confirmed.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
yes the T&K signings happened, were they overpaid? one of them was for sure.

this was the beginning of the fall and as I said earlier when Stan signed Seabrook, the three contracts of 10.5, 10.5 and 6.85 together was a clear signal that the demise of the hawks was sealed.

27.85 million per year for a 6-7 Dman that gets walked on a daily basis, a checking C that scores 50 or so points per year and an offensive gifted superstar is too much to spend and will saddle the team moving forward and that is what we are witnessing.

Captain Hindsight to the rescue!

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

I think he had a period of poor performance (late 2015 to 2016/17) while still drafting well surrounded by good performance. He has been much better lately. The team did not perform last year. Toews, Saad, and Keith playing like shit and then Crow getting hurt are not something you can predict.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If the Hawks are attempting to spread out scoring amongst the lines, like they did last year, these lines could work:

Kahun-Toews-Saad
DeBrincat-Anisimov-Kane
Sikura-Schmaltz-Hayden
Kunitz-Kruger-Kampf

It could even things out if they don't want to go top heavy. Kahun is a playmaker and Saad's shooting percentage should be back to normal. Second line is a copy of what we had when Panarin was here. Third line could do a lot of damage against weak matchups. Fourth is what it is.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
If the Hawks are attempting to spread out scoring amongst the lines, like they did last year, these lines could work:

Kahun-Toews-Saad
DeBrincat-Anisimov-Kane
Sikura-Schmaltz-Hayden
Kunitz-Kruger-Kampf

It could even things out if they don't want to go top heavy. Kahun is a playmaker and Saad's shooting percentage should be back to normal. Second line is a copy of what we had when Panarin was here. Third line could do a lot of damage against weak matchups. Fourth is what it is.

I like those lines, despite Toews and Saad paired together but maybe Kahun could fit

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Kahun-Toews-Saad
DeBrincat-Anisimov-Kane
Sikura-Schmaltz-Hayden
Kunitz-Kruger-Kampf

I’d swap Kahun and DeBrincat, but that’s because I really want to see DeBrincat-Toews-Saad as a top line that gets the toughest matchups.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Toews contract
Bickell contract
Free Space
Seabrook contract

It's only 9:45 and I'm only a "Toews diet" away from offseason Bingo!

(The season really needs to start)

The only bad contract at the time was Seabs.

Toews was young, had not likely even entered his prime yet (based upon age) and should have been expected to have 3 great seasons left in him and couple more good one s after that. No one could have predicted that he was basically done at age 28 --- Toews dropped off the cliff some 3-4 years earlier than could have been expected. Not a bad contract --- just a real unfortunate massive decline of a player multiple years earlier than the norm.

Bicks MS was, of course, not predictable and his contract was reasonable.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The only bad contract at the time was Seabs.

Toews was young, had not likely even entered his prime yet (based upon age) and should have been expected to have 3 great seasons left in him and couple more good one s after that. No one could have predicted that he was basically done at age 28 --- Toews dropped off the cliff some 3-4 years earlier than could have been expected. Not a bad contract --- just a real unfortunate massive decline of a player multiple years earlier than the norm.

Bicks MS was, of course, not predictable and his contract was reasonable.

I was one of Bickell's biggest supporters but, even if healthy, that contract was at least $ 1 M too much to pay. A mil here, a mil there, they all add up and when you add the NMC's things got worse.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Saad is on cruise control since he got the big bucks contract. The hawks wanted him to gel with Toews and sure enough they both starting sucking when they were both overpaid.

So yeah. They are on the same page.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Saad is on cruise control since he got the big bucks contract. The hawks wanted him to gel with Toews and sure enough they both starting sucking when they were both overpaid.

So yeah. They are on the same page.

You mean they aren’t scoring like they should be, right? Because almost all underlying numbers say they didn’t suck together.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Diddnt know where to put this but I thought this was interesting. No team hit the post more than the Blackhawks last season.

I remember hearing this type of thing mid way through the season. Glad to hear that lasted through the rest of the year. It is a good sign for the future.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Of the 10 teams with the most shots taken last year the Hawks had the 9th best shooting percentage. (that group included the Blue Jackets, Hurricanes, Oilers and Flames, let that sink in for a while)

Shooting and shot selection is a major issue with the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad