Prospect Info: 2018-19 Binghamton Devils and ECHL talk part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
In what world makes you think Bastian** has earned top 6 RW duties?

I didn’t think much of Bastian before last season but his play in Bing/NJ change my mind.

Bastian has size, is a decent 2-way player, and likes to shoot. Everytime he plays with a good playmaking center he has put up points. He might not drive offense but he does well to keep it plays alive (back checking, board battles). He is a natural RW which the Devils desperately need. Plus, out of all the call ups not named Blackwood he impressed me the most. He looked good in every game he played in.

He would have to earn his place during the Prospect camp/tournament and preseason, but I would test him with Hughes. This also hinges on weather or not the Devils add depth scoring in the summer.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The skill is there. I hope he blows up for Bing this year.

I am glad he came over. I had written him off

Totally had written him off. Hope he can put things together.

I want to see a big year from Mikey. This is an important one for his development.

I think the offseasons are huge for guys in their development. I feel a guy like Pop's getting in shape is probably something he should be focusing on, Mikey needs to work on his shot for sure.

Bastian? Working his hands probably, but I look at him a bit different in that I feel after a very strong 2nd half of the season, his mindset should be perfect for a guy looking to up his game, so whatever he is working on, I imagine it is with gusto.

Mikey might be the opposite, saying to himself, hey I've got work to do here in order to catch up. Pop's might be about getting comfortable in the U.S., (though I'm not sure if he is staying here this summer), but finally get some stability, can he tell himself "aight, no more jumping around from team to team, this is where it is going to happen".

In addition to the skills, getting stronger is a key for most young guys, more explosive too, so those types of excercises, but there is a behind the scenes race with these young prospects. Who is putting that work in to make themselves better players, and so much of that is about the mindset.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Bastian? Working his hands probably, but I look at him a bit different in that I feel after a very strong 2nd half of the season, his mindset should be perfect for a guy looking to up his game, so whatever he is working on, I imagine it is with gusto.
Actually, I thought his hands looked good (although everything can always get better). I'd have him work on his speed to keep up with the faster guys. I mean, he wasn't a slug, but getting faster would help him become a viable top 6 power forward IMO.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Actually, I thought his hands looked good (although everything can always get better). I'd have him work on his speed to keep up with the faster guys. I mean, he wasn't a slug, but getting faster would help him become a viable top 6 power forward IMO.
I thought he looked good around the net in terms of getting shots on net, tipping pucks, but I remember a play where he was set up on the goal line to the side of the net and mishandled a pass. Anecdotal for sure, and maybe some of that is getting comfortable in the league, but I don't think playing catch and moving the puck, especially in a pp setup where you often see skilled puck handlers, is a strength.

Reactions: Nubmer6

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
If he becomes a guy that can put up 40 and bang bodies while being hard to play against in the middle six, I will be ecstatic.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I think Maroon showed us that we could really use a player like that.
Absolutely, so much of hockey is about wearing the other team out and out working them, while we circle jerk in other threads about "playing heavy" having guys that can play that way while not being in over there head is huge.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If he becomes a guy that can put up 40 and bang bodies while being hard to play against in the middle six, I will be ecstatic.
I assume you mean 40 points right? And sure as a guy who had fallen way down the prospect rankings to see him have such a solid 2nd half, including scoring some goals in the NHL, 40 points would be great. Especially it is a goal heavy 40.

And there were certainly things to like about his game beyond the goals. Willingness to drop the gloves was apparent, the way opposing players just bounced off him was noticeable, strong on his skates in the corners, and the way he scored goals as a net front presence. He looked like a guy who you could stick in front of the net on the PP and he'd get his share for sure. And he's a RW.

So you put that all together and I think he could find a long term spot in the NHL even before some of the more talented Devils prospects.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I assume you mean 40 points right? And sure as a guy who had fallen way down the prospect rankings to see him have such a solid 2nd half, including scoring some goals in the NHL, 40 points would be great. Especially it is a goal heavy 40.

And there were certainly things to like about his game beyond the goals. Willingness to drop the gloves was apparent, the way opposing players just bounced off him was noticeable, strong on his skates in the corners, and the way he scored goals as a net front presence. He looked like a guy who you could stick in front of the net on the PP and he'd get his share for sure. And he's a RW.

So you put that all together and I think he could find a long term spot in the NHL even before some of the more talented Devils prospects.
Are we all kind of... like... agreeing or something? This is kind of odd.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I was in hospital for 17 days, then a month in skilled nursing unit......

Glad to be home.......

Did anybody miss me~~~~~???????
If you want us to miss you, you need to do these things midseason. ;)

Glad to have you back.

Reactions: OmNomNom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad