2018-19 Avs Prediction Thread

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
It's pretty interesting seeing so many people having ghetto scoring around 50~60 points but wanted to trade him for peanuts on the FA thread like a month ago

Guys like Andrighetto, Kerfoot & others on low valued contracts capable of putting up 45-55 points are gold. Pure gold.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Guys like Andrighetto, Kerfoot & others on low valued contracts capable of putting up 45-55 points are gold. Pure gold.

How are Kerfoot & Andrighetto capable of putting up 45-55 points when neither have done it yet? Now I know the answer on Kerfoot is going to be along the lines of "because he had 43 points as a rookie!", but development isn't linear and the manner in which he got those points has been broken down and he's the prime candidate for a point regression this upcoming season.

Andrighetto's best NHL season was actually last year--8 goals, 14 assists, 22 points in 50 games. Pace that point total out over 82 games that's .44 PPG and a total of....36.08 points.

So we have 1 player who is primed to show offensive output regression this upcoming season and another who hasn't ever cracked 25 points in an NHL season, yet both are capable of putting up 45-55 points?

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
One Prediction that I think is pretty solid unfortunately, the amount/play of all our tweeners.
Unless you're totally down with this being another development year, I think most of us will be angry at times with secondary scoring.

Also, if Kamenev, Kaut, Tony, maybe Bowers, Ottawa 1st, Greer all knocking on the door next year. Who is going to lose their spot? (Kerfoot, Ghetto, Compher, Wilson, maybe Jost and Kam) I could see half them gone in a year or 2.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
- Ghetto traded midseason for a (real) bottom 6er
- Lando suspended five games for a hit on Forsberg
- Grubauer gets 30+ wins
- Soda gets 50+ points
- Barrie leads the league in points by a D
- someone questionable will be brought come TDL for a final push (think someone along the lines of Nash or Vanek)

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
One Prediction that I think is pretty solid unfortunately, the amount/play of all our tweeners.
Unless you're totally down with this being another development year, I think most of us will be angry at times with secondary scoring.

Also, if Kamenev, Kaut, Tony, maybe Bowers, Ottawa 1st, Greer all knocking on the door next year. Who is going to lose their spot? (Kerfoot, Ghetto, Compher, Wilson, maybe Jost and Kam) I could see half them gone in a year or 2.

Kamenev will be in the lineup this year. Kaut will take Wilson's spot (but in a different role). Toninato stays in this spot as a sub, and Greer (if he makes it) takes Bourque's spot as the other sub. If Bowers jumps straight to an NHL role, then likely someone has to move (down or out). Possible they look at moving on from Soda or Nieto a year early as well.

The OTT 1st is a wildcard, as we don't know what we will be getting. In the statistically unlikely scenario that we get an NHL ready forward, then we have to move another one out...say we get Hughes: we could move Jost, Bowers, Compher, Kerfoot or Kamenev for a decent return (ditto for Newhook, Cozens, Turcotte, etc....not all of which will be ready). Kakko or another of the wings might make Andrighetto available too. Getting a D is looking unlikely for decent value on an early pick...but OTT could surprise everyone and our best pick be in the teens.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Way too superstitious to make predictions, but I will say this: I don't see A.J. Greer as an Avs property after this season. There still isn't really a spot for him, and I still get a very strong impression Bednar just doesn't like him at all. And usually with the Avs, if the coach don't like the guy (Boychuk, Nieminen, Galiardi, etc.) they get rid of him.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Way too superstitious to make predictions, but I will say this: I don't see A.J. Greer as an Avs property after this season. There still isn't really a spot for him, and I still get a very strong impression Bednar just doesn't like him at all. And usually with the Avs, if the coach don't like the guy (Boychuk, Nieminen, Galiardi, etc.) they get rid of him.

I don't think Bednar dislikes Greer, but I do think Bendar views him as a grinder and has zero intention of giving him a role where he'll score.

I don't know how anyone can dislike that kid with his compete level. Unless you're on the opposing team of course.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I don't think Bednar dislikes Greer, but I do think Bendar views him as a grinder and has zero intention of giving him a role where he'll score.

I don't know how anyone can dislike that kid with his compete level. Unless you're on the opposing team of course.

Hey man coaches are weird like that. Maybe he doesnt like the way he ...skates, hits, shaves?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
To be clear I don't get the indication he's being outright unfair to AJG, not like what you see a lot of old-school coaches do with other young players. In fact, I've heaped praise ad nauseam on Bednar precisely because he doesn't do that. This is just mostly a gut feeling on my part. And it's also circumstances--the team is indeed pretty deep in the forward ranks, in quantity if not in quality. There's not many, if any guys I'm comfortable in bumping aside in favor of Greer beyond the 4th line. I just don't see him really getting that shot in Colorado, maybe somewhere else though.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
To be clear I don't get the indication he's being outright unfair to AJG, not like what you see a lot of old-school coaches do with other young players. In fact, I've heaped praise ad nauseam on Bednar precisely because he doesn't do that. This is just mostly a gut feeling on my part. And it's also circumstances--the team is indeed pretty deep in the forward ranks, in quantity if not in quality. There's not many, if any guys I'm comfortable in bumping aside in favor of Greer beyond the 4th line. I just don't see him really getting that shot in Colorado, maybe somewhere else though.

I could see Greer being more useful than Kerfoot if he does not earn a spot on that line with Jost. I have trouble placing Kerfoot in the lineup outside of Jost's line in general, but a lot of people feel the same way about Ghetto. I think Ghetto is more versatile (not by a lot) because of his motor though.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Greer doesn’t have the skating ability to be a good 4th line energy guy yet. He has the tenacity, strength, peskiness etc. but the good fourth liners these days don’t just crash and bang. They skate well too. Greer doesn’t.

Greer needs to improve his skating to become a valuable bottom sixer. He needs to greatly improve his skating and his puck skill to become anything more.

Reactions: Murzu and Ivan13

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
How are Kerfoot & Andrighetto capable of putting up 45-55 points when neither have done it yet? Now I know the answer on Kerfoot is going to be along the lines of "because he had 43 points as a rookie!", but development isn't linear and the manner in which he got those points has been broken down and he's the prime candidate for a point regression this upcoming season.

Andrighetto's best NHL season was actually last year--8 goals, 14 assists, 22 points in 50 games. Pace that point total out over 82 games that's .44 PPG and a total of....36.08 points.

So we have 1 player who is primed to show offensive output regression this upcoming season and another who hasn't ever cracked 25 points in an NHL season, yet both are capable of putting up 45-55 points?

Absolutely.

Kerfoot has been with the team (that was injury riddled) for one solitary season, and he's 23. Andrighetto has been with us for a whole 1.25 seasons, and is 25.

Due to the injuries that have plagued us, improvement / regression in form, they've been shuffled up and down the lines, and have been swapped from position to position (especially Kerfoot).

Given an additional off-season, more time to build chemistry, develop combinations and synergies, I absolutely believe there is productive upside to these players. Another important factor in their improvement will be consistency. Ice time, injury free, playing in the same position.

A lot of it may come down to Tyson Jost's development and improvement as well, but I also have very high hopes for him, because they'll likely be sitting / playing on his wing (or there abouts).

We'll see when you say Kerfoot is the prime candidate for a point regression. Even with a second year syndrome effect, I believe he'll produce. People forget how much better / stronger / balanced our defense & goalie tandem are, and it's from the back quite often that the forwards produce.

I mean, jeez, full strength, we have one of Barberio, Girard or Nemeth riding the pine (assuming Zadorov, EJ, Barrie and Cole are the locks).

Top to bottom, we are going to see improvement in us next season. Why? The playoff series against The Preds + the roster is relatively the same, meaning chemistry, combination & consistency. We are culturally different.

For that reason, let's all think positively. How you can say ANY player is a prime candidate for regression, is just super pessimistic mate. I was also told that people didn't want us to make the playoffs last year, because they wanted Dahlin. But those playoff games our team experienced were like finding platinum in the ground.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
EJ actually predicted us to make the playoffs again in the 31 in 31 series so I guess that's nice that a hockey guy thinks we might make it. I can't remember the last time someone predicted us to make the playoffs in these kind of programs lol

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I actually think Kerf is amazing as a utility player. He can play all three forward positions (though I've maintained he's best at LW) and can play on any given line and be effective. He's obviously useful on the power play but I'd like to see what he can do as a regular penalty killer as well. He's also shown great chemistry with Soderberg in the few times they've teamed up, so I wouldn't mind seeing a line with those two and either Nieto or Compher filling it out.

Andrighetto is quite good as a secondary scoring line winger. He drives the play and while he isn't a big-time producer himself, he makes things easier for his linemates. However, I think his utility is extremely limited. If he's not on a scoring line he's not effective at all IMO.

Which brings us to Greer. I just think he's kinda wasted in a 4th line role, but I suppose he can play it if need be. In terms of versatility I think he's somewhere right in between Ghetto and Kerf but obviously he's much bigger and plays more physical than either of those guys, which is why I'd like to see him get slotted in somewhere. But I'm still not sure who you take out, unless Wilson once again just misses a ton of time because of illness/injury (and hopefully Greer doesn't in that case).

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I actually think Kerf is amazing as a utility player. He can play all three forward positions (though I've maintained he's best at LW) and can play on any given line and be effective. He's obviously useful on the power play but I'd like to see what he can do as a regular penalty killer as well. He's also shown great chemistry with Soderberg in the few times they've teamed up, so I wouldn't mind seeing a line with those two and either Nieto or Compher filling it out.

Andrighetto is quite good as a secondary scoring line winger. He drives the play and while he isn't a big-time producer himself, he makes things easier for his linemates. However, I think his utility is extremely limited. If he's not on a scoring line he's not effective at all IMO.

Which brings us to Greer. I just think he's kinda wasted in a 4th line role, but I suppose he can play it if need be. In terms of versatility I think he's somewhere right in between Ghetto and Kerf but obviously he's much bigger and plays more physical than either of those guys, which is why I'd like to see him get slotted in somewhere. But I'm still not sure who you take out, unless Wilson once again just misses a ton of time because of illness/injury (and hopefully Greer doesn't in that case).

Lmao we have polar opposite views of Ghetto and Kerfoot. To be fair so does most of this board lol.

It's like somehow someone split PA Parenteau into two different players

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Kerf.
Like i think if he played a full season it should be Ghetto but i just dont believe in him for some reason.

Kerf is that type of player that will get 2 minutes a game and somehow ends up with 3 points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad