2018-19 Avs Prediction Thread

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
- Varlamov has the best stat line of any NHL goalie next year but doesn’t win the Vezina because the organization is dead set on playing Grubauer more games than he deserves and Varly don’t have enough wins/gp.

- Zadorov scores 40 points. First time we see him ever truly ready to start the season on time.

- Top line is split up before November.

- JTC is traded.

- Meloche plays 30 NHL games.

- Ghetto scores 55+ points in his contract year.

If he's pacing for that, the Avs should look to sell high (might surprise people to see that statement coming from me).

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
- Mackinnon repeats with 95 points
- Rantanen hits 78 points. Grows into a more well rounded game.
- Jost puts it together and establishes himself as a low end 2c with potential to become legitimate
- Varlamov "conveniently" stays healthy this season and complicates our goalie situation even more
- Girard slumps a bit in the first half but hits a new level of play after thanksgiving
- Kerfoot is traded in a package deal with Timmins for a 2nd line fwd
- Johnson is great but gets injured per usual. This time for half the season (god forbid.)
- Zadorov establishes himself as a top pairing Dman
- Team struggles with offensive depth and injuries. Finishes season either as the last wild card or within 5 points outside of the playoff picture

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
- Jost puts it together and establishes himself as a low end 2c with potential to become legitimate
- Varlamov "conveniently" stays healthy this season and complicates our goalie situation even more
- Girard slumps a bit in the first half but hits a new level of play after thanksgiving
- Johnson is great but gets injured per usual. This time for half the season (god forbid.)
- Team struggles with offensive depth and injuries. Finishes season either as the last wild card or within 5 points outside of the playoff picture

This is the closest to what will probably happen. Really think Varlys gonna be healthy and play lights out. Think your defense predictions will be very close and I think a middle 6 player + will be traded sometime, I hope Timmins is not included tho. Jost is up in the air for me, I think he should of stayed in college or AHL last season.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Reading through the thread I saw a few suggest Andrighetto gets traded, and for me too he is a prime candidate to get traded during the season.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

I like (ok love) Zadorov so much but he has to limit his sometimes increadibly stupid penalties. Zadarov has all the tools to become great but he may have to visit a shrink or two. ,-)

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I like (ok love) Zadorov so much but he has to limit his sometimes increadibly stupid penalties. Zadarov has all the tools to become great but he may have to visit a shrink or two. ,-)

2 minutes for being too big. His favorite penalty to take

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016

True lol I think he's becoming smarter and learning what he can and can't do so I'd hope this season he'll stay out the box a bit more

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
If Mack, Johnson and Varly stay healthy, Avs are in the playoffs.
One of Varly or Johnson could go out and Avs might have the depth to cover.
If they lose Mack for more than a handful of games, unless there are some surprises next season, they're golfing early.

All I want is for them to get to the playoffs with a more or less healthy roster. Last 2 times they've gotten there they've had key injuries that make a fan think "what if?".

Reactions: 21 and agentblack

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
• Our stars see a slight dip in scoring pace (MacK around 85 points, Rantanen around 75, Barrie around 45)

• Andrighetto has a nice season at 2RW (45-50 points) and resigns with Colorado

• Despite competition, Gabriel Bourque refuses to give up his roster spot and cements a 4th line job

• One of Kerfoot/Compher struggles to meet meager expectations and is traded

• Varlamov is traded

• Girard and Zadorov take big steps forward

• Kaut and Timmins almost make the opening night roster but are sent down for their benefit

• Jost makes slow but steady progression and finishes with 40-45 points opposite Andrighetto

• Calvert makes a good impression but doesn’t score much, Cole makes a bad impression and doesn’t score much

• Wilson is regularly scratched and returns to the Predators at the deadline

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
- Nathan MacKinnon fails to be a point-per-game player next season, registering 75 points

- Tyson Jost and Sven Andrighetto both crack 45+ points

- JT Compher becomes the 3C permanently by season's end

- Erik Johnson misses 40+ games due to injury, and the Zadorov-Barrie pairing will start to see 23-25 minutes each night

- Phillip Grubauer takes over the starting role by the trade deadline for good, signaling Varlamov's time has come to an end in Colorado

- Cale Makar makes the jump to the NHL near the end of the season while EJ is still injured and college hockey is finished

- Colorado is in a dog fight for the final wild-card slot with Anaheim, Dallas, and Calgary.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
More stacked then it has been in ages does not mean it will become the best goalie tandem in the league and a Top 10 Defense in the league.

For one there's zero evidence yet to suggest our goaltending is even better than it was last year. We hope it will be but Grubauer is very much an unknown next year. And Varly is once again coming off a major injury.

And our Defense was worse in the league for a number of years very recently. It being significantly better now means it's no longer in the bottom 1/3 of the league. But it's also nowhere near the top 10. We don't even have a #1D. No defense that doesn't have a legit 1D is anywhere near the Top 10.

Our only chance of improving next season is essentially if the Top line does what it does again. And all of the young guys on our teams exceed expectations. And the chances of that happening are slim to put it in simple terms.

Have some faith mate. Buckle in, it's about to happen!! I honestly feel that series against The Preds will have hardened our resolve. It showed us the gap we need to bridge, and we started taking steps last season.

The addition of Cole , and even Calvert will in itself make us a lot more gritty, and tenacious.

I personally think Grubauer is amazing. I think he'll challenge for the #1 starting spot. Then again, I thought Bernier was outstanding. So, too Jiggy. I'm pumped and proud of our tandem.

You know my thoughts on the tandem and defense. I think our top line is one of the best in the league. I think our 3rd and 4th lines are also quality wise some of the best (I keep saying we have 3, 3rd lines).

We aren't that far off my friend. I have every single confidence in the world to think we'll be much stronger next season.

The whole club is starting to have a different cultural feel to it. I remember when Avs 1st began, and transferred from Quebec. Just that air of arrogance (which is a good thing as a sports person). I just feel that again, with some of these young guys.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
- Cole will be a positive surprise to many who complained about him
- Zadorov gets some PP time thanks to his shot
- Landy gets demoted from the top line and replaced by Jost/Andrighetto/Kerfoot in order of likelihood
- We'll be outside of playoffs, picking around 10 in the next draft.
- Ottawa's pick will be around the same, though they have potential to completely suck if the issues off-ice affect the locker room.
- Barrie doesn't get traded unless someone overpays.
- Kerfoot scores 40 points again if he gets to play with decent linemates.
- Our prospect defensemen only get called up for injuries, when everyone is healthy we run EJ/Barrie/Zads/Girard/Cole/Nemeth with perhaps Barberio as the 7th D.
- Our goalies will look good behind this defense.
- MacK continues to be good, but scores less points because everyone knows to watch out for him.
- Rants has a better season play wise but also scores less points.
- Söderberg does not play 2C, gets defensive duties instead with linemates like Calvert and Nieto.
- We still lack scoring outside the 1st line because no-one can carry a line like MacK does.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
MacK scores 95+.
Rants gets 80+.
Ghetto steps up to the top line and get 55+.
Landy drops to 2nd line with Jost and gets 55+.
Jost and Kerfoot on his other wing, each get 50+.
Neito, Soda and Calvert are a solid defending 2/3 line that scores 30+/45+/40+ respectively.
Compher is the primary fill in at any spot up in the lineup when injuries happen, and gets 30+.
Wilson also fills in up the depth chart, but only gets 25+.
Kamenev centers the 4th line and also does spot duty higher, and also gets 25+.
Bourque and Toninato anchor the nachos, with Greer and others getting call ups (Kaut being the only F called up that plays higher than 4th line).
None of the forwards gets traded.

Johnson plays 70+ games, defensively well, but scoring is no better than 25+.
Barrie play 75+ and cracks 60+ while being not as bad as most think in his own end.
Zads flourishes next to EJ and outscores him.
Girard settles in to the 3rd pairing rover and feast on the matchups, netting 35+ points.
Cole anchors Barrie, and leeches up to 25pts.
Nemeth and Barbs split time "babysitting" Girard on the 3rd pair, both around 20+. And the 3 of them will each spend time filling in on other pairs as needed. One of the 2 not-Girards will be traded at some point for a middle 6 forward that many here wont agree should be middle 6.

Varly responds well to the challenge of having Grubauer push him, but as always, injuries limit his GP. 33GP, 2.35GAA and .921SV%
Grubauer steps up when Varly falters, posting near identical stats: 52GP, 2.31GAA and .924SV%
Francouz gets a couple games to introduce himself, while one of the above two are hurt/resting. 4GP, 2.65GAA, .909SV%
The astute among you will have noticed the discrepancy in GP between the two big goalies. That is because Grubauer does well enough to convince Sakic to trade Varly at the deadline for a decent futures package. Which is inevitable, of course, as GRU replaces KGB.

Non-Avs prediction (kinda): Stone, Karlsson and Duchene all have contract year stats, each surpassing PPG and 80+ points. Their 3 main kids do decent enough as kids, but not enough to tip the balance away from horrid goaltending and general play outside those 6 (3 kids, 3 pending UFAs). The pick ends up 6th or higher depending on lottery.

I will be happy if at least 4 of these end up true, as long as none of them are too far wrong (in a bad way). But knowing my luck, Varly getting hurt is the only thing I will be right about.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
MacK scores 95+.
Rants gets 80+.
Ghetto steps up to the top line and get 55+.
Landy drops to 2nd line with Jost and gets 55+.
Jost and Kerfoot on his other wing, each get 50+.
Neito, Soda and Calvert are a solid defending 2/3 line that scores 30+/45+/40+ respectively.
Compher is the primary fill in at any spot up in the lineup when injuries happen, and gets 30+.
Wilson also fills in up the depth chart, but only gets 25+.
Kamenev centers the 4th line and also does spot duty higher, and also gets 25+.
Bourque and Toninato anchor the nachos, with Greer and others getting call ups (Kaut being the only F called up that plays higher than 4th line).
None of the forwards gets traded.

Johnson plays 70+ games, defensively well, but scoring is no better than 25+.
Barrie play 75+ and cracks 60+ while being not as bad as most think in his own end.
Zads flourishes next to EJ and outscores him.
Girard settles in to the 3rd pairing rover and feast on the matchups, netting 35+ points.
Cole anchors Barrie, and leeches up to 25pts.
Nemeth and Barbs split time "babysitting" Girard on the 3rd pair, both around 20+. And the 3 of them will each spend time filling in on other pairs as needed. One of the 2 not-Girards will be traded at some point for a middle 6 forward that many here wont agree should be middle 6.

Varly responds well to the challenge of having Grubauer push him, but as always, injuries limit his GP. 33GP, 2.35GAA and .921SV%
Grubauer steps up when Varly falters, posting near identical stats: 52GP, 2.31GAA and .924SV%
Francouz gets a couple games to introduce himself, while one of the above two are hurt/resting. 4GP, 2.65GAA, .909SV%
The astute among you will have noticed the discrepancy in GP between the two big goalies. That is because Grubauer does well enough to convince Sakic to trade Varly at the deadline for a decent futures package. Which is inevitable, of course, as GRU replaces KGB.

Non-Avs prediction (kinda): Stone, Karlsson and Duchene all have contract year stats, each surpassing PPG and 80+ points. Their 3 main kids do decent enough as kids, but not enough to tip the balance away from horrid goaltending and general play outside those 6 (3 kids, 3 pending UFAs). The pick ends up 6th or higher depending on lottery.

I will be happy if at least 4 of these end up true, as long as none of them are too far wrong (in a bad way). But knowing my luck, Varly getting hurt is the only thing I will be right about.
It’ll be nice to root for the Presidents Trophy winners again!

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
This is all that you $%@&s need to know.

We will win the Cup!

izcOK4m.gif

Or, we could be drafting in the top-10, I haven't decided yet.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
It's pretty interesting seeing so many people having ghetto scoring around 50~60 points but wanted to trade him for peanuts on the FA thread like a month ago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->