Injury Report: 2018-19 Avs Injury Thread

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
that explains some of the soft plays, but his significant decrease in speed is still concerning

I always thought the speed difference this year was overstated. EJ was never a speedster with his first few steps. It always took him a while to get up to speed, and when he did that this year, he looked just fine. I didn't notice any difference.

I think a big part of it was that people weren't seeing him go on those rushes this year to show he was skating the same, because Girard did most of that. He rarely had an opportunity to get up to full speed this year.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Yeah, EJ was never considered fast as an Av. And the only time he had really good footspeed was before his golf cart incident, so I'm not sure what people are remembering.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There was definitely something way off with his game at the beginning of the season. He had some real difficulty getting the separation he usually got in previous seasons. But I am, in some small measure, relieved that his struggles in the postseason were quite possibly the result of an injury and not necessarily the sign of a precipitous decline (though I'm still disconcerted with his very poor first half of the season this year).

That said, I do think we'll see the workload lessened on EJ, and that's definitely for the best. The Avs are finally at a point where they have a very fast, talented, and balanced defensive corps. They don't have to play EJ an insane amount of minutes anymore, which quite obviously took a serious physical toll on him.

He's still the best blueliner to have out there in 3-on-3 hockey.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeah, EJ was never considered fast as an Av. And the only time he had really good footspeed was before his golf cart incident, so I'm not sure what people are remembering.
Watch him during the 13-14 season and then watch him this season. There is a noticeable drop in his foot speed. Given his injury history, age, wear and tear and hard minutes hes played for this team its not hard to figure out really and it was inevitable.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
There was definitely something way off with his game at the beginning of the season. He had some real difficulty getting the separation he usually got in previous seasons. But I am, in some small measure, relieved that his struggles in the postseason were quite possibly the result of an injury and not necessarily the sign of a precipitous decline (though I'm still disconcerted with his very poor first half of the season this year).

That said, I do think we'll see the workload lessened on EJ, and that's definitely for the best. The Avs are finally at a point where they have a very fast, talented, and balanced defensive corps. They don't have to play EJ an insane amount of minutes anymore, which quite obviously took a serious physical toll on him.

He's still the best blueliner to have out there in 3-on-3 hockey.

I actually really like Z out there 3 vs. 3 although EJ isn't bad either. I absolutely hate Barrie and Girard 3 vs 3 lol. Hopefully Makar is the go to guy next season.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Watch him during the 13-14 season and then watch him this season. There is a noticeable drop in his foot speed. Given his injury history, age, wear and tear and hard minutes hes played for this team its not hard to figure out really and it was inevitable.

Well yeah, he's lost a step but it wasn't like he was a worldbeater in the skating department to begin with when he came here

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Well yeah, he's lost a step but it wasn't like he was a worldbeater in the skating department to begin with when he came here
True so for a guy who wasn't the most fleet of foot to begin with to lose even more foot speed is concerning. I don't see the Avs trading EJ regardless. I think Joe will just let EJ ride off into the sunset with this team.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Are you going off memory or are you watching games from the 13-14 season somewhere? There's going to be some sort of dropoff in speed from 26-31 for all players. Whether it's significant or not is another question.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Are you going off memory or are you watching games from the 13-14 season somewhere? There's going to be some sort of dropoff in speed from 26-31 for all players. Whether it's significant or not is another question.
I watched our playoff games from that season and few regular season games at work all this week. Its not only EJ that thats lost a step albeit he was the most notable of the current players we still have from that team but Barrie aswell hasnt looked as dynamic as he did that season to present. Barrie seemed to handle the puck a hell of a lot better then what I seen from him of late. Barrie did change his stick and his blade so maybe that has something to do with it. Barries shot however has gotten so much better from that season to today.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I watched our playoff games from that season and few regular season games at work all this week. Its not only EJ that thats lost a step albeit he was the most notable of the current players we still have from that team but Barrie aswell hasnt looked as dynamic as he did that season to present. Barrie seemed to handle the puck a hell of a lot better then what I seen from him of late. Barrie did change his stick and his blade so maybe that has something to do with it. Barries shot however has gotten so much better from that season to today.

Yeah I've noticed Barrie doesn't quite have the same dynamic skating for some reason. Possibly changed his edges. It's not a big change though. His shot is markedly better though. That's just due to drilling the hell out of it in practice.

I'm not sure how much of a step EJ has lost from five years ago, but when he got up to speed this year he looked like he was flying just like before to me, so we probably disagree on how much he's fallen off in that area.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeah I've noticed Barrie doesn't quite have the same dynamic skating for some reason. Possibly changed his edges. It's not a big change though. His shot is markedly better though. That's just due to drilling the hell out of it in practice.

I'm not sure how much of a step EJ has lost from five years ago, but when he got up to speed this year he looked like he was flying just like before to me, so we probably disagree on how much he's fallen off in that area.
EJs drop in foot speed is very noticeable from 5 yrs ago and its expected. A guy like him who plays the hard minutes he has, who has dealt with the injuries he has totally makes sense. It happens to every player eventually. Wait until Landy falls off a cliff that one is gonna be as sad.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
EJs drop in foot speed is very noticeable from 5 yrs ago and its expected. A guy like him who plays the hard minutes he has, who has dealt with the injuries he has totally makes sense. It happens to every player eventually. Wait until Landy falls off a cliff that one is gonna be as sad.

Yeah, like I said we're probably not going to agree on this. I'm sure there's some dropoff in speed like there is for everyone between 26 and 31, but I didn't see it as a huge drop.

In 2013-14 EJ was asked to be the offensive horse of the team. Barrie hadn't established himself in the NHL yet. This year, EJ was asked to primarily be a stay at home defenseman for Girard.

In 2013-14, EJ was skating at 90+% on a lot of shifts trying to ignite the transition and create scoring chances. This year, he spent most of the season skating at like 60-70% just trying to play things safe, while Girard was the guy pumping his legs at 90+%. I think this caused people to think his skating fell off a ton, when IMO it was mostly because his role changed.

This is EJ at his most tired earlier in the year. 30 seconds into his shift and late in the game. If his skating ability had fallen off a cliff he would have been stuck in the mud after making his turn, and Kempe, who's got some decent wheels, would have got to this puck first.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think EJ was ever comfortable being a stay-at-home guy. He's at his best when trying to generate offense and jumping into the play. That's why I wouldn't mind seeing them start next season with the pairings they more or less ended the the postseason with. EJ seemed a little better with Cole.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I don't see much of an issue with our D unless we trade Barrie. Then we probably need one more guy at least until Cole and EJ are both back and healthy.

Otherwise we're looking at:

Girard - Makar
Zadorov - Barberio?
Graves? - Connauton? Timmins? Meloche?

Not a D core that fills me with confidence. But maybe if Byram gets his 9 games and Timmins or Meloche is genuinely ready, it could work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad