Around the League 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Does anyone know if the NHL gets a cut from Pro-Line in Canada?

I see the league wants funds from the American Gambling that is coming out, but I've never heard about the Canadian Gambling streams.

They want a cut but I would be shocked if they ever get one.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Brouwer bought out in Calgary and still had 9 million left on the last 2 years of the deal---ouch!!

I wonder if 2 years from now they will be wondering about a buyout for Neal?

No matter what the Flames say, they haven't done any better with free agents than the Oilers have.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Edmontons been doling out massive signing money and now the league is looking at that in the cba?

Classic fiddlin'
but funny enough, by the time the change anything, our major contracts will be done. Just like the draft, the rules turn mean right after we're done with it lol

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
but funny enough, by the time the change anything, our major contracts will be done. Just like the draft, the rules turn mean right after we're done with it lol

Its more farce garbage from an incompetent head office pandering to cronyism.

When the best player in the league gets a 13 m signing bonus that is your league.

Support your best player and be consistent. You f***ing fools.....

Theres more to it ....but still...weak as f*** executive...

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What an odd schedule this season... Oilers don't play an opposing divisional team until their 19th game of the season on November 17th.
I thought this is what the NHL talked about doing. Wanting the end of the season to be games that are all about the standings in the divison.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Started a thread on the main boards, but I'll add it here as well.

You want to see Luo play one last time, you better see him this year. His pay is only 1.6mil next year and he'll be 40. Pretty good chance him Hossa and Zetterburg are all Yotes, especially with Bolland off the books this year.

Well actually I could see FLA keeping Luo's salary, but I think he's probably going to follow those guys as a guy that doesn't want to fight through the injuries anymore.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Yakupov with a very nice goal in his first KHL game. I have a feeling he's going to go there for a few years regain his love for the game and come back and carve out a career in the Nhl he still has offensive skill and a hell of a shot.

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
Brouwer bought out in Calgary and still had 9 million left on the last 2 years of the deal---ouch!!

I wonder if 2 years from now they will be wondering about a buyout for Neal?

No matter what the Flames say, they haven't done any better with free agents than the Oilers have.

Brouwer was an epic failure, no question, but are you telling me you wouldn’t trade Brodziak/Reider/Jerabek for Neal/Ryan/Czarnik. You’re only fooling yourself if you think Chia has done anything remotely comparable to Treeliving in improving their respective rosters. I know Chia didn’t have as much cap space to work with but that’s a mess of his own making.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Brouwer was an epic failure, no question, but are you telling me you wouldn’t trade Brodziak/Reider/Jerabek for Neal/Ryan/Czarnik. You’re only fooling yourself if you think Chia has done anything remotely comparable to Treeliving in improving their respective rosters. I know Chia didn’t have as much cap space to work with but that’s a mess of his own making.

Brodziach and Reider are far better than Ryan and Czarnik.

I would personally rather Ryan Strome than Derek Ryan on my team although both are basically average 3rd line centers.

Czarnik was so far down the depth chart on the Bruins no one cared that he left the organization. He is a poor man's Marc Arcobello with much to prove before being considered an nhler.

And James Neal. Anyone who dislikes the Lucic deal and likes the James Neal deal needs a smack. He is a big, slow, power forward on the wrong side of 30. On a sizable contract that takes him past 35...

Trevelling brought in a 3rd line center, a ahl guy, a second pairing defender, a middle 6 winger, and an aging power forward while losing one of the best young defenseman currently in the game as well as a middle 6 winger.

He gave up far too much for a steeply declining Harmonic to round out his declining defense and suspect goaltending.

Brought in and had to buy out Brouwer.

No matter how much you polish that turd. It ain't gonna shine. Ignore what Chiarelli has or has not done. Trevelling has not improved his team so much that anyone should using him as an example of good GMing.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Brodziak, Reider and Jerebek combine for less than 5 million dollars.

20 games for Schmidt is a huge blow to Vegas. He was their #1 D man.

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
Brodziach and Reider are far better than Ryan and Czarnik.

I would personally rather Ryan Strome than Derek Ryan on my team although both are basically average 3rd line centers.

Czarnik was so far down the depth chart on the Bruins no one cared that he left the organization. He is a poor man's Marc Arcobello with much to prove before being considered an nhler.

And James Neal. Anyone who dislikes the Lucic deal and likes the James Neal deal needs a smack. He is a big, slow, power forward on the wrong side of 30. On a sizable contract that takes him past 35...

Trevelling brought in a 3rd line center, a ahl guy, a second pairing defender, a middle 6 winger, and an aging power forward while losing one of the best young defenseman currently in the game as well as a middle 6 winger.

He gave up far too much for a steeply declining Harmonic to round out his declining defense and suspect goaltending.

Brought in and had to buy out Brouwer.

No matter how much you polish that turd. It ain't gonna shine. Ignore what Chiarelli has or has not done. Trevelling has not improved his team so much that anyone should using him as an example of good GMing.

Im just comparing each teams off season pickups. You can't say Brodziak is better than Ryan when Ryan outproduced Brodziak (38 to 33 points), drives possesion way better (57.1 CF% / 55.7 FF% to 47.7 CF% / 50.3 FF%) is better at faceoffs (56.5 to 52.1 FO%) and is 3 years younger. Ryan costs more but is without question a better 3rd line Center. Of course Rieder is better than Czarnik (Arcobello comparison might be bang on), but they are not similar in what they are expected to bring to the table. One is a prospect who may get a few games with the team, one is a bottom six full-time NHLer. If you're going to compare apples to apples you have to compare Neal to Rieder in which Neal is a far far better player.

Hopefully Strome gets back to the level he was at as a sophomore which given his age is not out of the question, but just comparing last year, Ryan is also better than Strome in almost every appreciable statistic.

Now your comparison of Looch and Neal is way off. Neal has scored slight more points than Lucic in over 100 less games and costs $250,000 less. They are the same age and their contracts both expire the same year (23/24). The big thing though is Lucic will be all but impossible to get rid of due to his NMC (Neal has zero protection) and the fact that the way his contract is structured is virtually buyout proof (nice one Chiarelli). Lucic is also slowing down both visually and in terms of production (last 3 seasons: 0.68 -> 0.61 -> 0.41 ppg) where as Neal is more or less maintaining his level of play (last 3 seasons: 0.71 -> 0.59 -> 0.62 ppg). Sorry but your not going to find a GM on earth that would take Lucic of Neal.

The Hamilton trade you may have a point. Without question Calgary loses the best player in the deal. Dougie is elite, Hanifan has potential (although if you look at each players first 3 years in the league, they are eerily similar). I've always thought Ferland was overrated and pumped up by playing with Gaudreau and Monahan. Lindholm has been better than Ferland consistently over a longer period. I do hold out hope that Adam Fox is the second coming of Brian Leetch though. That would push this deal over to Carolina's side easily.

I still don't see how Treliving's moves aren't better than Chiarelli's though.

Treliving
Out - #1 defenceman (Hamilton), 3rd line winger (Ferland), decent prospect (Fox)
In - #3/4 defenceman (Hanifan), top 6 winger/center (Lindholm), top 6 winger (Neal), #3/4 defenseman (Hamonic), 3rd line center (Ryan), prospect (Czarnik).
Buyout - Bouma, Brouwer.

Chiarelli
Out - top line winger and Hart winner (Hall), top 6 winger (Eberle)
In - bottom 6 winger (Lucic), #3/4 defenceman (Larsson), 3rd line center (Brodziak), 3rd line winger (Rieder), bottom 6 winger (Strome), fringe defenseman (Jerabek).
Buyout - Pouliot, Gryba.

I don't know man, when you look at that list Chiarelli is definitely worse. Not to mention that he didn't have cap space to significantly improve the team, a problem of his own making. When Brandon Davidson declines a PTO with a team with one of the worse D corps in the league, that says something.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I do hold out hope that Adam Fox is the second coming of Brian Leetch though. That would push this deal over to Carolina's side easily.
It's well known that Fox through his agent or advisor or whatever you want to call him (I don't believe college players are allowed to have an agent) informed the Flames that Fox wasn't interested in signing with the Flames. So basically the Flames were trading Carolina a player they were never going to get anyways. Fox will be entering his 3rd year at Harvard this fall so its certainly not inconceivable that he stays for another year to get his degree. A Harvard degree is nothing to sneeze at and by getting his degree he also becomes a free agent. The Hurricanes are by no means a lock to sign Fox either next summer or the summer after that. The deal for Hamilton, Ferland, and Fox is more like a deal for Hamilton, Ferland, and a lottery ticket. You have a chance to win but nothing's guaranteed.

If Treliving had believed he had any chance at signing Fox I doubt he would have traded him. Throwing a signable Fox into the deal would have definitely been an overpayment... something Treliving rarely does with the odd exception (cough.. Troy Brouwer.. cough cough … Lance Bouma… cough ... Jonas Hiller.. cough... Mason Raymond.. cough.. Brian Elliot.. cough cough cough.. ).
Damn. When I start listing the mistakes there are more than I expected. :(

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It's well known that Fox through his agent or advisor or whatever you want to call him (I don't believe college players are allowed to have an agent) informed the Flames that Fox wasn't interested in signing with the Flames. So basically the Flames were trading Carolina a player they were never going to get anyways. Fox will be entering his 3rd year at Harvard this fall so its certainly not inconceivable that he stays for another year to get his degree. A Harvard degree is nothing to sneeze at and by getting his degree he also becomes a free agent. The Hurricanes are by no means a lock to sign Fox either next summer or the summer after that. The deal for Hamilton, Ferland, and Fox is more like a deal for Hamilton, Ferland, and a lottery ticket. You have a chance to win but nothing's guaranteed.

If Treliving had believed he had any chance at signing Fox I doubt he would have traded him. Throwing a signable Fox into the deal would have definitely been an overpayment... something Treliving rarely does with the odd exception (cough.. Troy Brouwer.. cough cough … Lance Bouma… cough ... Jonas Hiller.. cough... Mason Raymond.. cough.. Brian Elliot.. cough cough cough.. ).
Damn. When I start listing the mistakes there are more than I expected. :(

Harmonic

Reactions: nabob

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yakupov with a very nice goal in his first KHL game. I have a feeling he's going to go there for a few years regain his love for the game and come back and carve out a career in the Nhl he still has offensive skill and a hell of a shot.

This is the goal?

To be honest what's so special about that, it's a juicy rebound goal from point blank range. I've never really seen Yakupov score a goal that really made me fall out of my seat and go "wow! what amazing skill!".

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Trading for Hamonic isn't a Treliving mistake. He's a top 4 D-man on a very team friendly contract. It's not his fault that his coach last year insisted he play with a defense partner that he had zero chemistry with and said defense partner was forced to play on the left side when all his life he'd played right defense and he hated being stuck on the left. I fully expect Hamonic to excel again once he's teamed up with Hanifin.

Edmonton would be lucky to have Hamonic as one of their D-men. If he could, Chia would swap Russell for Hamonic all day long every day of the week.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Trading for Hamonic isn't a Treliving mistake. He's a top 4 D-man on a very team friendly contract. It's not his fault that his coach last year insisted he play with a defense partner that he had zero chemistry with and said defense partner was forced to play on the left side when all his life he'd played right defense and he hated being stuck on the left. I fully expect Hamonic to excel again once he's teamed up with Hanifin.

Edmonton would be lucky to have Hamonic as one of their D-men. If he could, Chia would swap Russell for Hamonic all day long every day of the week.

3 years ago I was really hoping the Oilers could somehow get Harmonic. 2 years ago I had concerns because of how poorly he was playing. One year ago Trev took a big gamble Harmonic would bounce back after his play deteriorated. He paid way too much for a declining asset.

I like the player and think he will bounce back, but there is no doubt Trev paid too much and the deal currently looks like dog poop.

His play the last 2 years is not top 3 material and currently Russell is the better player. Lol, obviously better at playing either side apparently as well.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Wouldn't be the first time a player struggled simply because it's his first year somewhere as well.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
3 years ago I was really hoping the Oilers could somehow get Harmonic. 2 years ago I had concerns because of how poorly he was playing. One year ago Trev took a big gamble Harmonic would bounce back after his play deteriorated. He paid way too much for a declining asset.

I like the player and think he will bounce back, but there is no doubt Trev paid too much and the deal currently looks like dog poop.

His play the last 2 years is not top 3 material and currently Russell is the better player. Lol, obviously better at playing either side apparently as well.
You may be right but I may be right too. As for his play not being in the top 3 you're right. #4... maybe. However the Flames and the Islanders were real tirefire teams the last two years so you hve to cut him some slack there when it comes to an honest evaluation of his play. I guess we'll see how he performs this year with Hanifin as a partner and Bill Peters bas a coach. As for Russell being better than Hamonic I have to respectfully disagree. Russell is overpaid and on most teams he'd be the #5 D-man. The only thing that Russell excels at is blocking shots and frankly that's, in my opinion, not a stat to be proud of if you're a defenseman. Your goal should be to prevent the shot, not let the player fire away and hope to get in front of it so the goalie doesn't have to make the save. As an example, if there was 1 minute left in the game and your team was hanging onto a win against a hard charging team pressing for the game tieing goal, I'd much rather have Hamonic out there than Russell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad