Around the League 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
“But Eberle for who?” Flames fans discussing asset management
It's hard to believe that the Flames and Oilers were once the best 1-2 punch that the league had to offer. The Battle of Alberta was Frazer versus Ali. You knew that this was as good as it ever got. The long list of stars on both teams was undeniable.

Alas, mismanagement and weak drafts have made them two of the weakest franchises in the last 20 years, one no better than the other IMO.

Last edited:

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
It's hard to believe that the Flames and Oilers were once the best 1-2 punch that the league had to offer. The Battle of Alberta was Frazer versus Ali. You knew that this was as good as it ever got. The long list of stars on both teams was undeniable.

Alas, mismanagement and weak drafts have made them two of the weakest franchises in the last 20 years, one no better than the other IMO.

You weren't around for the 90's were you

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

I keep forgetting that the mid / late 90's were 20 years ago..........

I'm getting old:(

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
For all the talk about Milan's contract with the Oilers you have to think that the Flames haven't be listening very much.

Mammoth long term deals for both Neal and Lindholm. One guy is already 31 and on the downslope and the other guy has never scored more than 45 points in an NHL season. A combined $60 million for these 2 guys? Say what?

5.75 for Neal is a risky overpayment, no doubt. But 4.85 for Lindholm is solid. He's only 23 and he'll likely start the season on the top line and in all likelihood eclipse his career high of 45 points playing with Gaudreau and Monahan. This is a better deal than Henrique (5.85), Hertl (5.25), Bozak (5.0), Stastny (6.5), J.T. Miller (5.25), Tatar (5.3), etc. I just wish Chiarelli hadn't handcuffed himself with cap space and we could've picked up a quality top 6 player.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
5.75 for Neal is a risky overpayment, no doubt. But 4.85 for Lindholm is solid. He's only 23 and he'll likely start the season on the top line and in all likelihood eclipse his career high of 45 points playing with Gaudreau and Monahan. This is a better deal than Henrique (5.85), Hertl (5.25), Bozak (5.0), Stastny (6.5), J.T. Miller (5.25), Tatar (5.3), etc. I just wish Chiarelli hadn't handcuffed himself with cap space and we could've picked up a quality top 6 player.
Couldn’t a unsigned vet sign for one year and do the same on the cgy top line? I don’t get why flames fans are using that as a Defense for Lindholm. Great he can produce with top players, maybe. Peters couldn’t find a match in Carolina so who knows

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
Couldn’t a unsigned vet sign for one year and do the same on the cgy top line? I don’t get why flames fans are using that as a Defense for Lindholm. Great he can produce with top players, maybe. Peters couldn’t find a match in Carolina so who knows

Show me a veteran consistent 40+ point/season free agent that would sign for one year at less than 4.85. You can’t. Just look at what all the guys I mentioned previously cost. Treliving is hoping the upgrade from Ferland to Lindholm is greater than the downgrade for Hamilton to Hanifin. To throw in a blue chip prospect like Fox was a major screwup that will likely comeback to bite them in the ass though. But hey at least Treliving had the cap space to try something. Instead we get Chia overpaying for Lucic, Russell and Drai and trading away Hart winners for #2 defenseman. Don’t get me wrong Brodziak and Reider a re quality bottom 6 pickups but if Chiarelli could properly manage cap space we might’ve been able to improve the top 6, which is desperately needed.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Show me a veteran consistent 40+ point/season free agent that would sign for one year at less than 4.85. You can’t. Just look at what all the guys I mentioned previously cost. Treliving is hoping the upgrade from Ferland to Lindholm is greater than the downgrade for Hamilton to Hanifin. To throw in a blue chip prospect like Fox was a major screwup that will likely comeback to bite them in the ass though. But hey at least Treliving had the cap space to try something. Instead we get Chia overpaying for Lucic, Russell and Drai and trading away Hart winners for #2 defenseman. Don’t get me wrong Brodziak and Reider a re quality bottom 6 pickups but if Chiarelli could properly manage cap space we might’ve been able to improve the top 6, which is desperately needed.
Vanek has been doing that for the last couple years.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Around the League thread. No need to bring Chia or Edmonton into the discussion.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

In Tre's defense, he didn't really screw up, Fox's agent said he had no interest in signing with us, so flames loss I guess. But if he was the piece to get the deal done, it was an easy throw in imo. We lost the best player in the deal, and it was due in part to personality conflicts as stated by Treliving himself. We did however get two cost controlled young pieces who both have high ceilings still (obviously Hanifin's is higher), and if Brodie can rekindle with Gio, this trade outside of the vacuum of value may actually work to our benefit.

As for the Neal signing, I'm a fan of it. The last couple of years could prove to be crap, but clearly the flames are trying to get back to the post season and hopefully contend. So the long term ramifications of the contract are meaningless at this point. In addition, Neal is an ideal fit for our top line, he drives the play, is solid along the boards, has an edge to his game, and is one of the leagues better snipers. He's exactly the type of player to pickup the deficiencies in Gaudreau's and Monahan's game, the bonus is another true sniper for Gaudreau to work with. It's easy to envision success with Gaudreau feeding two players who both can pot 30+ goals in a season. But at this point it's all speculation and hope.

Lindholm's contract is solid, he's only 23 and will likely keep growing as a player. Even with minimal growth, his contract is fine with the way the cap is going these days. But I project him to start the season as the 2nd line RW or a center in the middle six.

Obviously I'm a flames fan so naturally I rally against the Oilers...But I do yearn for the BOA to be meaningful again, hopefully for you guys Chia can figure his way out of cap hell. As a side note, I don't really want the old BOA back as I'm sure Oil fans look back on it more fondly then we do. Those Oiler teams were probably the single reason we don't have more cup banners in our rafters. :laugh:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Wait, a minute...Linden and the Canucks parted ways?

You're allowed to let old players in management actually LEAVE the organization???

Linden and the Canucks did what Lowe and the Oilers never managed to do: break up.

Oilers are like the on-again, off-again ex/current-GF.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
LoLinden probably never made a decision on his own in the last 4 years. He was the biggest puppet I’ve ever seen. Hired simply for PR reasons and I bet he got sick of looking like a fool.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Jvr coming out and thanking the leafs for being clear wraps before free agency is just more salt in the wounds to the raptors.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Making fun of the Flames is so bitter sweet because at the end of the day, still have to come home to Chiarelli making such mind-numbingly dumb moves. Itd be cool to have a competent GM so we can finally laugh at Calgary and Vancouvers moves. Unfortunately we always have the worst GM of the bunch

But that Hamilton trade will come back to bite them when they realize Lindholm is Gagner v2 and hes not a defensive player some people try to make him out to be. And if Hanifin continues on the path hes on, hell top out as a solid but unspectacular middle pairing/#3 D

Reactions: Bronco Horvat

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Making fun of the Flames is so bitter sweet because at the end of the day, still have to come home to Chiarelli making such mind-numbingly dumb moves. Itd be cool to have a competent GM so we can finally laugh at Calgary and Vancouvers moves. Unfortunately we always have the worst GM of the bunch

But that Hamilton trade will come back to bite them when they realize Lindholm is Gagner v2 and hes not a defensive player some people try to make him out to be. And if Hanifin continues on the path hes on, hell top out as a solid but unspectacular middle pairing/#3 D

I agree on Lindholm, but disagree on Hanifin. He is going to be a stud. I wish he was on the Oilers.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Capitals sign Tom Wilson to huge six-year contract - Sportsnet.ca

Over $5M per year for 6 years for... Tom Wilson. As a fantasy player, I see what Wilson brings to that Washington team but that is a serious commitment to a dude that just acheived his career high of 35 points and 187 PIM. He had a wonderful playoff run, did the Caps go on happy tilt with this signing?

I’m just hoping to see Ryan Reaves punch his face in at least twice next season.

If Lucic wanted to do likewise, he’d get back in my good books.

He’s proof that big and mean can help you win. Shame Kassian got declawed last summer. He was useful before the contract.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Does anyone know if the NHL gets a cut from Pro-Line in Canada?

I see the league wants funds from the American Gambling that is coming out, but I've never heard about the Canadian Gambling streams.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Wait, a minute...Linden and the Canucks parted ways?

You're allowed to let old players in management actually LEAVE the organization???

I think Linden is actually capable of feeling shame, unlike our main man Lowe who has too large of an ego to believe anything could be his fault.

Reactions: Senor Catface
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->