2018-19 AHL Affiliate San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Gulls season opener tonight @ Tucson (7 PM MT). Recent news:

- AHL has recently launched a new AHLTV service. As an opening campaign, they are broadcasting the opening weekend games for free, only an AHLTV account is needed (no subscription or purchase).
- Max Jones, Kalle Kossila and Kevin Roy are all out of the lineup due to injuries. Anaheim plays tonight also, so no help from the NHL roster is expected. The Ducks just so happen to face the Coyotes, so this should be the case for the opponent as well.
- D Simon Benoit was apparently signed to a 1-year AHL contract.
- Angus Redmond was loaned to Reading Royals/ECHL, defensemen Amorosa, Forney and Moldenhauer were loaned to Tulsa Oilers/ECHL. Doesn't seem like Anaheim will have an ECHL affiliate this season.
- Four try-out players remain in San Diego's current roster: Logan Shaw, Luke Gazdic, Peter Sivak and Ryan Tesink.
- F Jake Marchment is also listed in San Diego's official roster, but not on eliteprospects. No idea what his contract status is.

Possible opening night lineup, based on nothing but guesswork:

Blandisi - Carrick (*) - Tropp (*)
De Leo - Hults - Fiore
Kopacka - Soy - Sideroff
Gazdic (*) - Dostie - Shaw (*)

Larsson - Welinski
Megna - Oleksy (*)
Mahura - Thompson

Boyle - Coreau

Healthy scratches: Thomson, Marchment (?), Tesink, Sivak, Benoit

(*) = veteran, see AHL's development rule

Reactions: Doothpick

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Once everyone on the ducks gets healthy and jones, kossila, roy etc. they will be good.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Gulls lead 3-2 after 1 in Tucson. Carrick started the season scoring a shorty less than 90 seconds into the first period, and De Leo and Kopacka added tallies, with Looke scoring twice for the Runners, each time halving a two-goal Gulls lead.

Carrick is notably in the middle of a lot of plays, looking good. Gulls going with 7 d-men and 11 forwards this game.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Gulls melt down in the third, give up four unanswered goals to lose 6-4 as well as losing their cool, setting the stage for some resentment in the rematch in San Diego's home opener next Friday -- not an encouraging beginning to the season, until I remember who the Gulls are missing to injury.

Reactions: Opak

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Thanks for the report, Hans. Statistics here.

So far I haven't found a proper highlight clip anywhere, gifs of Gulls' goals can be seen on San Diego's twitter.

Reactions: HansH

QuackinQuaker

Jul 16, 2018
Gulls lead 3-2 after 1 in Tucson. Carrick started the season scoring a shorty less than 90 seconds into the first period, and De Leo and Kopacka added tallies, with Looke scoring twice for the Runners, each time halving a two-goal Gulls lead.

Carrick is notably in the middle of a lot of plays, looking good. Gulls going with 7 d-men and 11 forwards this game.

Carrick impressed me the most during the game at Honda Center. Him and Kiosks are going to make a good pair once Kopacka adjusts to the speed of the game.. he seemed just behind the play a number of times, while Carrick was pushing the pace play.

Reactions: HansH

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Well that's not good. I didn't watch the game - was it that bad?
I wish I knew - I had stopped actually paying attention by that point. I knew things got chippy and frustrating, but didn't see Welinski's offense. Just what the team needs - another body unavailable to take the ice.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
How do AHL suspensions work with NHL? Suppose it was a 5 game suspension and a game or two in, he needed to be called up due to injuries... would he need to sit for the remaining suspension before playing or just serve the rest of it after being sent back?

Beretta 390

Jul 22, 2010
How do AHL suspensions work with NHL? Suppose it was a 5 game suspension and a game or two in, he needed to be called up due to injuries... would he need to sit for the remaining suspension before playing or just serve the rest of it after being sent back?
In any case way out of character for him. Rolling 7 D can be stressful too - early season blues.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
As much heat Shaw got with the Ducks, he is good enough that he should still have a hockey career at his age. Good for him and for the Gulls as he should be solid 2-way guy for them.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Gulls trail 1-0 at the first intermission of their home opener.

Tropp-Carrick-Kopacka
Blandisi-De Leo- Fiore
B. Thompson-Hults-Sideroff
Aberg-Shaw-Dostie

Megna-Mahura
Larsson-Benoit
Oleksy-K. Thompson

Boyle
(Coreau)

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
3-1 after two. The Gulls are having moments, and are outshooting the Runners 30-22, but aren't creating many quality chances, while all three of Tucson's goals have been taking advantage of wide open passing lanes and unmarked Tucson players. I'm reminding myself that it's early in the season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad