Prospect Info: Cole Fonstad (June 1st 2020: Rights expired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
How did I ****ing miss that :laugh: Jesus christ

Look what just came up in my FB memories :laugh:

yRFLi4u.png

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Kudos, dude! I would've grilled the shirt first lol... maybe add some olive oil

I just got off work and was too busy watching the draft to cook anything and was super hungry so I was actually tempted to like marinade it or something. Being hungry made the whole process a lot easier I must say :laugh:

Reactions: McTusk

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Thats my boy Fonzie.

If people are wondering why I had him in my top 35, this is exactly why. Hes one of the most dynamic forwards in the W.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
What bothers me is that in the behind the scenes video, they say that if you are looking at a homerun pick look at Fonstad. Yet they pick him so late after Gorniak. Makes me wonder how many times this has happened before.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What bothers me is that in the behind the scenes video, they say that if you are looking at a homerun pick look at Fonstad. Yet they pick him so late after Gorniak. Makes me wonder how many times this has happened before.
Happens every year, multiple time.

The NHL still has a strong bias with small frames.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm talking about our own scouts. They say that he could be a homerun yet they pick him in the 5th after Gorniak...
Yeah, but our own scouts are part of the NHL and theyre not sheltered from those biases. My guess, is that it has happened with almost every pick that is not a homerub type. Walford before Tyszka, Crisp, Pezzeta, Lernout, etc.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

you would think that the scouts would have been pushing for him after that strong playoff run he had, tied for the team lead in goals against a powerhouse MJ (although they didn't look right in that 1st round, especially the goaltending) but he was easily one of their best players.

That said he's small and very skinny, so great value for where they got him. If he can get that extra gear ala Byron he'll be a force out there (down the road)

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
you would think that the scouts would have been pushing for him after that strong playoff run he had, tied for the team lead in goals against a powerhouse MJ (although they didn't look right in that 1st round, especially the goaltending) but he was easily one of their best players.

That said he's small and very skinny, so great value for where they got him. If he can get that extra gear ala Byron he'll be a force out there (down the road)
He was meh at the U18, that has to play in it too. Knew he'd fall when I saw his U18.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
He was meh at the U18, that has to play in it too. Knew he'd fall when I saw his U18.

Yea he was trash which made me dislike him. Still think he is going to cap at top AHLer, I can see the upside though, hopefully I am proven wrong.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
You put a lot of emphasis on the u18 if thats your opinion of him, because he's clearly not trash. He has 5 points in 2 games so far.

I know people around here like that pick and I was aware he had a good start so I am not going to argue too much, I am sure he will have a great WHL career, but tinny players who aren't particularly feisty and don't have elite speed struggle at the next level, he will have to play an offensive role in the NHL or hence he won't make it, I have my doubts he will be among the ones which will get to play that role. For the record, I had him quite higher than his draft rank, still surprised he went that low.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I know people around here like that pick and I was aware he had a good start so I am not going to argue too much, I am sure he will have a great WHL career, but tinny players who aren't particularly feisty and don't have elite speed struggle at the next level, he will have to play an offensive role in the NHL or hence he won't make it, I have my doubts he will be among the ones which will get to play that role. For the record, I had him quite higher than his draft rank, still surprised he went that low.

that seems fair. Unless you have an elite skill set, it's hard for undersized players that don't have that extra gear. The new NHL is so much about speed, for me that's why I'm not so big on our draft class. They got a good bit of skill but outside Ylonen, Harris, Gornaik, they lack having great speed. Not saying it doesn't mean they won't make it, just that for the undersized guys it's tougher.

Reactions: ProspectsFanatic

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
that seems fair. Unless you have an elite skill set, it's hard for undersized players that don't have that extra gear. The new NHL is so much about speed, for me that's why I'm not so big on our draft class. They got a good bit of skill but outside Ylonen, Harris, Gornaik, they lack having great speed. Not saying it doesn't mean they won't make it, just that for the undersized guys it's tougher.

Fonstad is not a bad skater, like not even close to being bad, and he's not slow at all.

Kotkaniemi isn't a bad skater either and Romanov is pretty great at it.

Fonstad has very good skating and he's very feisty, here you have it.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Fonstad has very good skating and he's very feisty, here you have it.

I can agree with nearly elite IQ and very good puck skills, but for this, I have to disagree with you, which may explain why we come at different conclusions about him. (About his skating, I don't think he is a bad skater but factoring his size I wouldn't say it is particularly high. I don't think that Montreal suggested that he is a bad skater either, just for his size, it is probably not going to cut it at the NHL level)

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I think you make a lot of good points that likely explained why he was drafted so low.

He's feisty, but as you said, not at the level a Gallagher or Domi is. He's a beautiful skater technically who does flash good bursts of speed, but it's true that he doesn't have the "elite" speed (i.e. Barzal/Byron like speed). One thing however is I think part of the lack of speed is he's weak physically. He's small and needs to bulk up. Point was a good technical skater but lacked that top end speed as well. A few summers of bulking up and working even more on his skating and he's now amongst the elite. An exception I agree, but in the 5th round a good gamble.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I can agree with nearly elite IQ and very good puck skills, but for this, I have to disagree with you, which may explain why we come at different conclusions about him. (About his skating, I don't think he is a bad skater but factoring his size I wouldn't say it is particularly high. I don't think that Montreal suggested that he is a bad skater either, just for his size, it is probably not going to cut it at the NHL level)
Good skating is good skating if youre 6', 7' or, in Fonstads case, 4' feet tall. He dances around people quite a lot, his edge work is beautiful and he's pretty fast. He's a better skater than Gallagher, Hudon, Domi, also has incredible motor, and dare I say, a better overall skill package than all these dudes. He's 140 pound all wet though, and that might scare a lot of people, but not me.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Good skating is good skating if youre 6', 7' or, in Fonstads case, 4' feet tall. He dances around people quite a lot, his edge work is beautiful and he's pretty fast. He's a better skater than Gallagher, Hudon, Domi, also has incredible motor, and dare I say, a better overall skill package than all these dudes. He's 140 pound all wet though, and that might scare a lot of people, but not me.

The point to mention his size along his skating ability is that being a good skater a 6'5 is good enough to make it to the NHL, but at 5'10 not really.
About your comparisons, all those are more multi-dimensional, Fonstad is going to be a one-dimensional playmaker at the NHL level. Gallagher shot is elite and his feistiness is many steps higher than the average NHLer which makes him an effective and special player. Domi was despite his size a multidimensional true first round talent, feisty and skilled. Hudon is the fairest comparison, has similar skating to Fonstad imo, and was used at the point on PP in the Q not only because he was the go-to setup guy but because his point shot was a threat that was used as well, and he managed to make team Canada at 18 years old because of his 2-way game where he was planned to play a defensive role (got injured). Hudon had all this going for him but to me, he is still a pretty fringe NHLer, he seems like he will be able to stick around as 3rd liner, because of his 2-way intelligence he doesn't cost his team defensively despite his smaller frame. I don't think Fonstad could survive in a similar role, he might cap at where Scherbak is right now, the skills are evident but can he truly find a role where he can positively contribute to the team. Fonstad could be a home run pick if his playmaking ability continues to blossom along with improvement with his skating but like I said I have my doubts. All this being said I am fine with this pick considering he was taken in the 5th round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad