GDT: 2017 World Junior Ice Hockey Championship - Chabot vs White for Gold TONIGHT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
If Chabot's going to play 45 minutes a night, we can go with 5 defensemen.

Allowing us to move Boro to 1st line LW full-time :naughty:

But yeah, excited to see what Chabot can learn from playing under Boucher and with Karlsson. I can still see it being a difficult transition to the NHL style, but the talent is there.

I also am envisioning Stone and White playing together and just being possession monsters. I guess you would want a creative zippy guy on the other wing.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Congrats to all our prospect and especially to Chabot and White who are province they are GREAT players.

They need to continue to work hard.

Chabot named mvp is pretty special and IMO White was USA's best all around player. 7 goals in 7 Games + His outstanding Play in the Dzone. He was their best.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Allowing us to move Boro to 1st line LW full-time :naughty:

But yeah, excited to see what Chabot can learn from playing under Boucher and with Karlsson. I can still see it being a difficult transition to the NHL style, but the talent is there.

I also am envisioning Stone and White playing together and just being possession monsters. I guess you would want a creative zippy guy on the other wing.

Smith-White-Stone

3 in your face 200 foot player who can do it all. That's a shutdown line + scoring Line.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Chabot was great, but I can certainly see why he only got one NHL game even though he was with the team for a month. Those wide turns in the defensive zone probably drove Guy Boucher crazy. At the NHL level, he can't afford to take that long to get back into position. He needs to either make tighter turns or stop and start back to where he needs to be.

Of course, I'm not going to blame him too much in this tournament. He played half the game, he probably couldn't really afford to spend the energy required to get back into position quicker. But as a Senator, he won't be relied on to play the minutes he had to for Canada here, so no excuses.

sensrulz

Nov 12, 2009
Chabot was great, but I can certainly see why he only got one NHL game even though he was with the team for a month. Those wide turns in the defensive zone probably drove Guy Boucher crazy. At the NHL level, he can't afford to take that long to get back into position. He needs to either make tighter turns or stop and start back to where he needs to be.

Of course, I'm not going to blame him too much in this tournament. He played half the game, he probably couldn't really afford to spend the energy required to get back into position quicker. But as a Senator, he won't be relied on to play the minutes he had to for Canada here, so no excuses.
Cmon cut the kid some slack he still has some maturing to do but he was the best D in this tournament give the guy some credit.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Cmon cut the kid some slack he still has some maturing to do but he was the best D in this tournament give the guy some credit.

He's great, and he deserved the MVP of the tournament. I'm just saying there's a reason he was at the tournament and not playing on the Senators.

Just some minor things to clean up, before he's paired with Karlsson and destroying the league. :)

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Phaneuf is quite comfortable on the right correct? Can he be the Methot to Chabot's Karlsson? (Asking cause there's now way that contact is getting moved twice)

sensrulz

Nov 12, 2009
He's great, and he deserved the MVP of the tournament. I'm just saying there's a reason he was at the tournament and not playing on the Senators.

Just some minor things to clean up, before he's paired with Karlsson and destroying the league. :)
Kid is 19 playing D and he should NOT be with the big club he still needs to dominate
at a lower level and get more seasoning before moving up to the big leagues..

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Phaneuf is quite comfortable on the right correct? Can he be the Methot to Chabot's Karlsson? (Asking cause there's now way that contact is getting moved twice)

Probably, and it would be wise to do so.

Give Chabot that veteran presence and also a player who will defend him when needed. Phaneuf is that player.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North

I've heard that Phaneuf prefers the right side but I must say I didn't watch him that closely with the Laffs unless they played us. That would be a fantastic option if Chabot can play 2nd pair minutes on his natural side with Phaneuf. Ceci could drop to the 3rd pair making Wideman expendable (possibly 7th/8th D). Boucher uses Wideman sparingly anyway and he's not that defensively strong and his offense hasn't panned out at this level.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Not a fan of having Chabot on the team next year. He was amazing this tournament, easily Canada's best player, but I don't want to rush him. If he makes the team fair and square then fine, put him on the bottom pairing, but he should not be a lock to make this team at all, and I want him to do a year in the AHL.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I don't mind if Chabot earns a top 6 spot with the Sens as early as next year but he shouldn't be carried as a 7th D. Watching him play in this tourney and knowing how close he was to sticking with the Sens I think it will be hard not to play him next season.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I don't mind if Chabot earns a top 6 spot with the Sens as early as next year but he shouldn't be carried as a 7th D. Watching him play in this tourney and knowing how close he was to sticking with the Sens I think it will be hard not to play him next season.

Most important word in your post is bolded. I just don't want the sens to use Chabot as the "new toy" draw for fans instead of actually making the moves necessary to ice a winner like they did with Lazar. If they bring in llegit competition and Chabot wins then so be it.

By competition I don't mean beating out Borowiecki.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012

I agree, especially with the 7th D part, I just want him to earn his spot, not it be given to him because we lose a dman in the expansion draft. Give him some games up sure, but if he's not ready send him down to the AHL.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Chabot: 7 games, 4 goals 6 assists 10 points .... MVP; top 3 player for team
White: 7 games, 7 goals 1 assists 8 points ...... Gold Medal; top 3 player for team
Dahlen: 7 games, 5 goals 1 assists 6 points
Chlapik: 5 games, 2 goals 1 assists 3 points ..... top 3 player for team
Ahl: 7 games 2 assists +6

What a tourney for our boys. Probably the best ever.

If only Logan Brown didnt get injured.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Chabot will have to earn his spot. I think if he picks up some strength and can play with more urgency when he's the last man back, he'll have earned a spot on the NHL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad