GDT: 2017 World Junior Ice Hockey Championship - Chabot vs White for Gold TONIGHT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Well, it's almost that time of the year again Folks, when Santa brings us WJC Hockey. :handclap:

Doesn't sound like we'll be getting many (if any) Rookie NHLers this year, but we have a promising group of future stars to watch.

*** Pre-Tournament Schedule with 1 stop in Ottawa (RBC ROAD TO THE WORLD JUNIORS)

Dec. 19, 2016 | Canada vs. Finland | Bell Centre | Montreal, Que.

Dec. 21, 2016 | Canada vs. Czech Republic | Canadian Tire Centre | Ottawa, Ont.

Dec. 23, 2016 | Canada vs. Switzerland | Air Canada Centre | Toronto, Ont.

**** 2017 World Junior Hockey Schedule

http://www.tsn.ca/2017-world-junior-schedule-announced-1.484332

GO CANADA GO! :yo:

picture.php

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sixth place finish last year - ugh. That was a tire fire, made complete when Tom Renney threw the kids under the bus instead of pinning the blame where it belonged, with the coaching staff. Dave Lowry had never coached internationally, and boy did it ever show. His kids were undisciplined and completely unprepared for the differences that come with the international ice surface.

Anyway, this year should be better - it's clearly a stronger roster, and we are at home. (It's insane to think that McDavid is still eligible for this tournament - can you imagine the degree to which he would dominate?) Canada should be the favourites heading in...

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Group of death for Canada. Gonna have to play well to finish top 2 and avoid Finland and Sweden in the quarters.

I really like the mobility this team should have on D. Not really huge star power up front but should be very good.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Canada gets really fussy about their roster in terms of forcing guys to be in the pre-tournament camp and games before allowing them to play. The U.S., on the other hand, seems OK with players parachuting in just before the tournament starts. Therefore, they'll wait on Logan Brown, and if he's back from that wrist injury he'll play for sure...

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What about Paul? Too old?? I heard he is injured with a pretty good cut on his arm.

By two years, in fact - Nick Paul is 21 now. He played quite well for Canada two years ago in this tournament when we won it but is now having his ups and downs as a pro. It shows yet again that you can't make your entire scouting analysis on a guy based on a two week tournament.

JesseHenry9

Jun 4, 2015
Here is what I got for Canada:

Beauviller - Strome(A) - Raddysh
Jost - Barzal - Joseph
Dubois - Patrick - Gauthier
Crouse(C) - Cirelli - Stephens
Steel

Chabot(A) - Chychrun
Lauzon - Juulsen
Bean - Fabbro
Girard

Hart
Ingram

Just missed... Nick Merkley, Michael McLeod, Brett Howden, Phillippe Myers(If Chychrun isnt loaned hes in), Kale Clague

-Pretty optimistic with regards to the nhl but the just missed guys I think are in if Beauviller, Chychrun arn't loaned. I think Crouse will be.
- Massive skill in the top 2 lines
- 3rd line is a really good big and heavy two-way line that that can wear teams down and score
- 4th line is solid in all zones and extremely reliable
- Chabot is by far the best d-man in the tournament by a country mile
- Chychrun is a perfect partner for him, reliable and also solid in all zones
- 2nd and 3rd pairs are a good mix of offensive and two-way/defensive play
- Girard is a guy that can come in to supply offence and PP time
- Goalies I think are a lock, maybe they go with Cormier becuase of his age and the extra year of experience but I doubt it

This team is the best on paper, I think if anyone gives them a run its USA. I know this is a Canada thread but you can compare them to the USA.
Here is what they could look like from my perspective:

Foley - White(C) - Boeser(A)
Greenway - Brown - Fischer
Debrincat - Keller - Bracco
Bellows - Roslovic - Thompson
Kunin
Yamamoto

Jones - McAvoy(A)
Krys - Fitzgerald
Lindgren - Fox
Marino
Boka
Peeke

Woll
Parsons

Finland does not scare me this year, Ruotsalainen - Nattinen - Tolvanen will probably be the first line, Saarijarvi is solid as well but they simply don't have the talent and depth the other teams do. Obviously anything can happen in the WJC but this is just by looking on paper. Sweden could have a very good tournament and surprise some people with Eriksson Ek coming back, a strong D core and Sandstrom is the best goalie in the tournament. Guys like Dahlen, Pettersson(who I think goes top 5 in this years draft) have some star power to lead a tournament in scoring and dominate too.
Here is my Sweden team:

Dahlen - Eriksson Ek - Davidsson
Pettersson - Asplund - Ohlsson
Ahl - Andersson - Steen
Dahlstrom - Davidsson - Jens
Zetterberg

Larsson - Gunnarsson
Carlsson - Bernhardt
Bouramman - Moverare
Lindgren

Sandstrom
Gustavsson

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I'll be surprised if Ahl makes it. CHL bias + being a product of Regina dominant powerplay and offense in general sure don't help.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Here is what I got for Canada:

Beauviller - Strome(A) - Raddysh
Jost - Barzal - Joseph
Dubois - Patrick - Gauthier
Crouse(C) - Cirelli - Stephens
Steel

Chabot(A) - Chychrun
Lauzon - Juulsen
Bean - Fabbro
Girard

Hart
Ingram

Just missed... Nick Merkley, Michael McLeod, Brett Howden, Phillippe Myers(If Chychrun isnt loaned hes in), Kale Clague

-Pretty optimistic with regards to the nhl but the just missed guys I think are in if Beauviller, Chychrun arn't loaned. I think Crouse will be.
- Massive skill in the top 2 lines
- 3rd line is a really good big and heavy two-way line that that can wear teams down and score
- 4th line is solid in all zones and extremely reliable
- Chabot is by far the best d-man in the tournament by a country mile
- Chychrun is a perfect partner for him, reliable and also solid in all zones
- 2nd and 3rd pairs are a good mix of offensive and two-way/defensive play
- Girard is a guy that can come in to supply offence and PP time
- Goalies I think are a lock, maybe they go with Cormier becuase of his age and the extra year of experience but I doubt it

This team is the best on paper, I think if anyone gives them a run its USA. I know this is a Canada thread but you can compare them to the USA.
Here is what they could look like from my perspective:

Foley - White(C) - Boeser(A)
Greenway - Brown - Fischer
Debrincat - Keller - Bracco
Bellows - Roslovic - Thompson
Kunin
Yamamoto

Jones - McAvoy(A)
Krys - Fitzgerald
Lindgren - Fox
Marino
Boka
Peeke

Woll
Parsons

Finland does not scare me this year, Ruotsalainen - Nattinen - Tolvanen will probably be the first line, Saarijarvi is solid as well but they simply don't have the talent and depth the other teams do. Obviously anything can happen in the WJC but this is just by looking on paper. Sweden could have a very good tournament and surprise some people with Eriksson Ek coming back, a strong D core and Sandstrom is the best goalie in the tournament. Guys like Dahlen, Pettersson(who I think goes top 5 in this years draft) have some star power to lead a tournament in scoring and dominate too.
Here is my Sweden team:

Dahlen - Eriksson Ek - Davidsson
Pettersson - Asplund - Ohlsson
Ahl - Andersson - Steen
Dahlstrom - Davidsson - Jens
Zetterberg

Larsson - Gunnarsson
Carlsson - Bernhardt
Bouramman - Moverare
Lindgren

Sandstrom
Gustavsson

Chychurn, Beauvillier and Crouse all coming back? I dont see it. Two players from Arizona is alot to take out of the lineup and they already sent Strome down.

Beauvillier is playing pretty well for the Islanders too, would love if they got him he could lead the team in points dynamic player.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Related...

I think Ottawa was in the running. Bummer.

I had heard that also. It didn't feel to me, though, that Ottawa put the effort into their bid like they did the last time. I think Sens management is pretty focused on the Lebreton project, for obvious reasons, and didn't really put the resources to this like they might have otherwise...

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
The older I get, the less I romanticize this tournament and the idea of Canada winning. I now focus on our prospects. So I'll be watching a lot of Team USA I guess.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I had heard that also. It didn't feel to me, though, that Ottawa put the effort into their bid like they did the last time. I think Sens management is pretty focused on the Lebreton project, for obvious reasons, and didn't really put the resources to this like they might have otherwise...

The other things is most did see the world jrs back in Ontario so soon after Toronto/Montreal and Buffalo as a long shot at best.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Meh - Nolan Patrick is a 17 year old in a tournament that is typically dominated by 19 year olds. I don't think that his absence breaks us. The issue is our goaltending and our returning players...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->