Blue Jays GDT: (2017 v2.0) vs CLE |Mon, May 8 | 7pm ET/4pm PT | Bauer vs Stroman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Raptors losing big and the Jays stinking up the summer.

What a time to be alive.

What's with all the doom and gloom on these boards? As a fan of the Red Wings/Pistons/Tigers living in Toronto, might I remind you guys this is the first time in Toronto sports history that all three of your professional sports teams are coming off a playoff appearance? Not to mention Toronto FC are probably the best team in MLS right now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
What's with all the doom and gloom on these boards? As a fan of the Red Wings/Pistons/Tigers living in Toronto, might I remind you guys this is the first time in Toronto sports history that all three of your professional sports teams are coming off a playoff appearance? Not to mention Toronto FC are probably the best team in MLS right now.

Because it feels hopeless. Jays probably just lost their two best chances in 25+ years at a championship because everyone was swinging for the fences instead of just trying to make contact (see Game 5/6 vs KC, the entire series vs. Cleveland), and the Raps will never seriously compete with this core in a superstar-driven league.

Last edited:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Raptors losing big and the Jays stinking up the summer.

What a time to be alive.

It's not summer yet

Because it feels hopeless. Jays probably just lost their two best chances in 25+ years at a championship because everyone was swinging for the fences instead of just trying to make contact (see Game 5/6 vs KC, the entire series vs. Cleveland), and the Raps will never seriously compete with this core in a superstar-driven league.

Saying that they should just try making contact is like telling a pitcher to just get groundballs. It doesn't work like that. Plus I'm pretty sure the Indians out homered the Jays, and the WS winning Cubs are the epitome of swinging for the fences.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's not summer yet

Saying that they should just try making contact is like telling a pitcher to just get groundballs. It doesn't work like that. Plus I'm pretty sure the Indians out homered the Jays, and the WS winning Cubs are the epitome of swinging for the fences.

Eh, my issue is that guys like Bautista, Tulo and Martin needed to accept that they weren't Bryant/Rizzo/etc.

It's one thing to be swinging for the fences when you've got the recent consistency and talent to back up your ego/approach. That's why I don't mind Donaldson doing it. It's another when your bat speed and power are on the decline and your attempts to play hero ball cost the team a game or a series.

That top of the 9th inning against KC still hurts.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Eh, my issue is that guys like Bautista, Tulo and Martin needed to accept that they weren't Bryant/Rizzo/etc.

It's one thing to be swinging for the fences when you've got the recent consistency and talent to back up your ego/approach. That's why I don't mind Donaldson doing it. It's another when your bat speed and power are on the decline and your attempts to play hero ball cost the team a game or a series.

That top of the 9th inning against KC still hurts.

Yeah but was the issue in the top of the 9th because of swinging for the fences? Revere and Navarro had terrible strikes called to them that completely changed the complexion of the inning. Plus those were two of the more contact-oriented batters in the lineup.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I feel like Smoak just accepted the fact that him being patient was not working, and he's just clubbing away at first pitches.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah but was the issue in the top of the 9th because of swinging for the fences? Revere and Navarro had terrible strikes called to them that completely changed the complexion of the inning. Plus those were two of the more contact-oriented batters in the lineup.

Fair point, but I'd still argue that over the course of a 7 game series this approach cost them runs and games (obvious statement).

It's just frustrating that those two chances went by and now the Jays are staring at probably another medium to long-term playoff drought.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Fair point, but I'd still argue that over the course of a 7 game series this approach cost them runs and games (obvious statement).

It's just frustrating that those two chances went by and now the Jays are staring at probably another medium to long-term playoff drought.

On the bright side, a top draft selection + moving major league assets for blue chippers = building up a pool of young, high quality talent.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
On the bright side, a top draft selection + moving major league assets for blue chippers = building up a pool of young, high quality talent.

I hope so.

I'm a little wary that the return on some of those assets will be disappointing, though. Bautista isn't going to return much. Not sure if they're going to try to trade Tulo, and not sure if Martin will return much either.

I think they could get quite a bit for Happ and Estrada though. And Donaldson of course would be the key.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
As a die hard Jays fan, coming off back to back ALCS, it feels like one of two things happened. Ownership cheaped out and failed to build on a championship caliber team. Or nobody wanted to come here. Neither screams 'jump on our bandwagon and care about us!'

As for the Raps, hard to invest in a sport so obviously pre determined.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
As a die hard Jays fan, coming off back to back ALCS, it feels like one of two things happened. Ownership cheaped out and failed to build on a championship caliber team. Or nobody wanted to come here. Neither screams 'jump on our bandwagon and care about us!'

Neither of those two things happened.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Damn 10-19? 4 other Al East teams seems so much farther ahead of us.

We need like a 6-7 game winning streak to get back in it

hd1344

Nov 16, 2012
The Hammer
So Liriano is trash?

Considering his career, I've come to expect the constant ups and downs of him pitching. Can look like a magician one night and not being able to hit the broad side of a barn the next start.

He's never been a control artist but when he keeps his stuff on the edges he can be unhittable. His delivery and stuff just so wild that you can't expect consistencty from start to start. He could very well throw a gem in his next start as easily as he could get the early hook.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I feel like Smoak just accepted the fact that him being patient was not working, and he's just clubbing away at first pitches.

That one year Smoak actually managed to hit 20 home runs and was a useful piece... that's exactly what he was doing. Why he decided to start waiting for pitches...

I'll just blame Jacoby, because it seems to be something that happens to every batter in Toronto since he was hired to be the batting coach...

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
That one year Smoak actually managed to hit 20 home runs and was a useful piece... that's exactly what he was doing. Why he decided to start waiting for pitches...

I'll just blame Jacoby, because it seems to be something that happens to every batter in Toronto since he was hired to be the batting coach...

Smoak has sucked for virtually his entire career regardless of where he's been, therefore his "sometimes he's good, sometimes he's terrible" outcomes are simply a reflection of the type of player he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad