2017 Usports off-season Recruiting

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
According to Guardian, Filip Rydstrom headlines UPEI recruiting class. Others noted in article including Mancina between pipes.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Calgary supposedly had a great recruiting year as well. Might not be enough though.

Did Saskatchewan add any big names?

You bet. It is all posted [HERE]. Seven guys, including a 3rd goaltender from the WHL.

There is a major arm's race in the CW this year. MRU may be a touch weaker and UBC holding steady. But the rest look stronger, barring any departures before graduation.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
This is actually a next season recruit, and pretty good one for Moncton if true - as per Victor Findlay -
Some late night news out of Moncton. Hearing the Aigles Bleus have signed goalie Etienne Montpetit to an LOI for 2018-19. IMO, best OA goalie in the Q .

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Charlie Graham was a goalie with the Ryerson Rams la year and put up pretty good numbers. It was his first season but now I can't find him anywhere. Anyone know?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The backend is rock sold . Obviously, Melancon would be an asset for next year, but a sniper would be more of what is needed, at this point, especially if Clapperton is out for an extended time.

I don’t think you say no to 3-5 years of a good player just because it creates a roster issue for 3 months.

Remember, the year they got Clapperton they desperately needed a defenseman and were in really good shape at forward.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Question - When you come out of junior and play half a season of pro before going the university route in January...are you still eligible for the CHL package?

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Yes. You have an 18 month window to start using the education package.
Had to go digging, as I was told a pro contract ends the education package.

Not sure how up to date this is, as there is nothing on the CHL's pages (QMJHL, WHL, OHL) that specifically states it, I have found another article from 2012 that says that a pro contract ends the availability of the education package. That being said, it only considers a pro contract to be from the AHL or NHL, so if you sign in the ECHL, you would still have 18 months to decide to use your education package.

Right now, CHL players have 18 months after their junior careers are finished to decide whether or not they are going to use their education packages. A typical prize is one year of paid schooling for every season played. Agents can also negotiate better deals, wherein a kid will get four years of school paid for simply stepping on the ice for his first game, for example. Other than letting the 18 months lapse, the only way to lose the education package after putting in your service (if a player is cut, the package ends – so if you end up playing a year and a half, you get a year and a half’s worth of education) is to sign a pro contract in either the American League or NHL. This is important, I believe, as I had mistakenly been under the impression that even an ECHL contract would quash the pact. According to Kyle Raftis, the Ontario League’s director of recruitment, education services and player development, it has to be at least a full-year AHL contract – even getting called up for some games won’t wreck it.

“Any minor pro league is fine,” he said.

Source: CHL education opponents way off base | The Hockey News

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Alexandre Goulet, Jacksonville ECHL has left the team. Is he heading to UNB?

Cristiano DiGiacinto, Jacksonville believed headed to Acadia in January. However with Goulet and one other top ,player leaving will he be coerced to stay?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->