GDT: 2017 Traverse City NHL Prospect Tournament (Matthew Wuest Memorial) (8-12 September)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What`s wrong with our farm and pipeline? :sarcasm:

Yeah, I`m sceptical about how the NHL teams are tutoring their top prospects after they are being drafted. It`s critical for top talents to get enough rest so they can perform and develop that reflect their overall talent. If a player is gassed - it`s based on stamina, but as @Ola mentioned the schedule seems very rough and the season is not even started if Lias is good enough this year training camp. And if he is well rested - he looks very promising and NHL ready in my opinion.

To be honest, even if our farm is at it's record lows in terms of rankings etc, I don't think it's that bad. No need to go over it again, we have to wait 3-4 years and see.

Hunter- I think this is a mistake many does that haven't been around pro training. Walking around eating pretzels isn't the norm. You have 1000 kids all over the world doing anything possible to become as good as possible, a good summer for Lias is ranking in the top 10-20 of those 1000. To get there, so much is about quality, quality and then some more quality. It's definitely not about that putting in hours and not chillin. That was maybe the case in 1985. Everyone of those 1000 is putting in hours. There isn't a U20 team in Sweden that would accept a kid that hadn't worked out during the summer.

Clarke reported that Lias was tired. If he had a perfect summer, he shouldn't be tired. He played an extreme amount of hockey last season, 85 competitive games. At least 10 more training games before season and WJC. Back and forth across the Atlantic all summer. 13 games already? Right? Is that "perfect"? Sounds far from peeped that too me. No long term risk, but...

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Uh, no. I know what he's referring to. Did you even read the post? Do you think he's not putting in any off-season training? I literally addressed that in the post. Not sure how you missed it. I'm discussing both off-season and camp training. Sorta why I wrote "It's not like Lias was just wondering around New York eating hot pretzels all summer/fall." and also discussed the TC stuff (not even taking into account his international games). Lias should be one of the most ready players around.

I think you're the one confused, here.

Not worth a further reply if you did not get it this far. Don't have patience to explain what should be obvious.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
To be honest, even if our farm is at it's record lows in terms of rankings etc, I don't think it's that bad. No need to go over it again, we have to wait 3-4 years and see.

Hunter- I think this is a mistake many does that haven't been around pro training. Walking around eating pretzels isn't the norm. You have 1000 kids all over the world doing anything possible to become as good as possible, a good summer for Lias is ranking in the top 10-20 of those 1000. To get there, so much is about quality, quality and then some more quality. It's definitely not about that putting in hours and not chillin. That was maybe the case in 1985. Everyone of those 1000 is putting in hours. There isn't a U20 team in Sweden that would accept a kid that hadn't worked out during the summer.

Clarke reported that Lias was tired. If he had a perfect summer, he shouldn't be tired. He played an extreme amount of hockey last season, 85 competitive games. At least 10 more training games before season and WJC. Back and forth across the Atlantic all summer. 13 games already? Right? Is that "perfect"? Sounds far from peeped that too me. No long term risk, but...

I agree with you. At his age it is so important to strike a balance between off ice strength work, skating, and yes - rest. One of my college buddies spent a few years in the AHL and would regularly lose 15-20lbs throughout the season (depending on how deep in playoffs they went) and he wasn't a giant. 6 ft 190. Rebuilding that before camp requires lifting, proper nutrition, and rest. If you start behind you aren't making it up during the grind of a pro season, it's impossible.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't think Clark was referring to his "stamina."

He was playing in that Champions HL with Frolunda and had to travel through different time zones before doing it again for TC (and that adjustment is a pretty big one.)

Anyone who has dealt with jet lag knows how much of a ***** it can be.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It's weird to make this complaint now that they've finally started re-stocking the system. The pipeline looks far better now than it did a year ago.

I'm unclear on how the future looks brighter than a year ago.

To me, the only way to arrive at that conclusion one would have to be fairly certain that some high-end talent has been added in the past year. Who do you regard as near can't miss talent that has been added since last season?

Some believe Chytil might be. Haven't heard anyone say that about Andersson. Not saying it can't happen. Just that I have not heard that.

Is there someone else you're referring to?

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta

To me, the only way to arrive at that conclusion one would have to be fairly certain that some high-end talent has been added in the past year. Who do you regard as near can't miss talent that has been added since last season?

Some believe Chytil might be. Haven't heard anyone say that about Andersson. Not saying it can't happen. Just that I have not heard that.

It's not about can't miss. It's about acquiring more assets with decent shots. Generational talent isn't happening for us, but the additions of Pionk, Pedrie, DeAngelo, Bereglazov, Andersson, and Chytil is a definite improvement.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes I thought about the farm ranking in NHL, @Ola. Yeah, so hard to evaluate prospects sometimes. I still think the org. can improve related to drafting, but we`ve a very promising goalie talent though.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It's not about can't miss. It's about acquiring more assets with decent shots. Generational talent isn't happening for us, but the additions of Pionk, Pedrie, DeAngelo, Bereglazov, Andersson, and Chytil is a definite improvement.

Isn't every team doing that?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What`s wrong with our farm and pipeline? :sarcasm:

Yeah, I`m sceptical about how the NHL teams are tutoring their top prospects after they are being drafted. It`s critical for top talents to get enough rest so they can perform and develop that reflect their overall talent. If a player is gassed - it`s based on stamina, but as @Ola mentioned the schedule seems very rough and the season is not even started if Lias is good enough this year training camp. And if he is well rested - he looks very promising and NHL ready in my opinion.

I posted this elsewhere but Lias has had a very hectic few weeks.

Sweden -> USA -> Sweden -> USA -> Sweden -> Austria -> Switzerland -> Sweden -> USA

And that's just his flight schedule. That doesn't even include the fact that he has been playing in the SS, CHL and now TCT. The kid is exhausted and I won't judge him based on his TCT performance

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I posted this elsewhere but Lias has had a very hectic few weeks.

Sweden -> USA -> Sweden -> USA -> Sweden -> Austria -> Switzerland -> Sweden -> USA

And that's just his flight schedule. That doesn't even include the fact that he has been playing in the SS, CHL and now TCT. The kid is exhausted and I won't judge him based on his TCT performance

Yeah, this is called a proper offseason around here. :shakehead

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago

The future is contingent on more than just the prospect pool. We're one of the youngest rosters in the NHL, in a moment where teams are only getting younger. Adding 2 first round picks to a pool that hasn't had one for 5 years improves the farm outlook regardless of whether someone calls them 'cant miss.' our most important player who is aging also plays the position of our very best prospect who may have earned 'cant miss' by now. Moreover, our GM has shown a clear priority towards improving the prospect pool and infusing youth. We had three rookies laat year, two of whom have a lot of promise in them.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Ah, of course. 'MURICA!!! We are better than anyone. I guess Americans travel through 6 timezones all the time back and forth and it never ever affects them. Jetlag doesn't exist. Gotcha.

Please enlighten me how the other prospects have gone through the same amount of traveling, and playing pro-hockey games in the process.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Ah, of course. 'MURICA!!! We are better than anyone. I guess Americans travel through 6 timezones all the time back and forth and it never ever affects them. Jetlag doesn't exist. Gotcha.

Please enlighten me how the other prospects have gone through the same amount of traveling, and playing pro-hockey games in the process.

This is one of the reasons why careers dip at 30 these days.

All of the upper class prospects have a lot of miles on them... and with very little time off during their teenage years.

It's not like a Marty St.Louie where he didn't start having heavy miles until he was 25... these kids have hard miles on them from 16-20.

Look no further than one Mike Richards... lots of hard grinding hockey from age 16-25. Fell off a cliff (with other factors coming into play) before this 30th.

Rangers had the same concern (minus other factors) with Stepan.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

If anything, he's had more of a prepared offseason than anyone due to the game-readiness he's had to maintain. For the third or so time -- The guy is a professional. He's not some kid in a lower-level Euro league. He's not some kid playing HS hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad