News Article: 2017 Training Camp & Pre-Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Couple things bothering me.

I don’t see how you keep Chytil but don’t play him on either power play. That makes zero sense.

I don’t like Brady Skjei getting zero pp time as well.

Vesey not getting any pp time. Not getting top 9 time. That cannot be good for him. Don’t like it one bit.

Miller should be playing center Chytil should probably be home. I love the kid but I don’t think it is helping him at all or Vesey who gets pushed down in the process.

I also think Zibanejad should be killing penalties I hope that’s the case. He should get as many mins as possible that’s how we’re going to get the most out of him

Agree about Chytil and the PP and Vesey on the 4th line. I mentioned both those things. I think we can make it work though. I would move Grabner down to the 4th line, Vesey can be 3rd line, Chytil replaces Desharnais on the PP. The problem is that guys who came here for 4th line roles are now going to be taking top 9 and PP time away from young guys we project as part of our future in the top 9. Don't like that at all.

Skjei needs to kill penalties. Numbers don't add up, otherwise. McDonagh, Smith, Staal, ? Thats assuming DeAngelo will be in the lineup and Holden will not. I also think we need big defensive minutes from Skjei at even strength, so if they are going to put him in a shutdown role this season, I can understand him not getting PP time. Most seem to think his points were higher last season than they will be most years, I think he had a high secondary points percentage or something like that. He was also always projected as more of a defensive player than offensive player. Either Skjei plays a big shutdown role or we rely on Staal and Holden (who suck) because surely Shattenkirk and DeAngelo will be playing offensive roles.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Nope, thats ridiculous. You just want to appear tough on an internet message board. You attempt to bully strangers with ridiculous notions that have zero basis in reality, even when you are told you are wrong. If you continue it, you are admitting to not caring about the truth and just caring about being a tough guy on the internet who wants to make up things about strangers you don't know and going after them because of it. Most people here could not care less about that kind of stuff, most people here want to talk about the team.

You are being incredibly over the top defensive in a very off-putting way with all this

member 116805

Does anyone know if the live practice stream from the other day is available somewhere?
Thanks

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
As is being discussed in the Minor Leagues thread, neither Zborovskiy nor Kovacs appear on Hartford's roster after the recent cuts there, yet neither were announced as cuts. So their statuses are unknown at this time.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Couple things bothering me.

I don’t see how you keep Chytil but don’t play him on either power play. That makes zero sense.

I don’t like Brady Skjei getting zero pp time as well.

Vesey not getting any pp time. Not getting top 9 time. That cannot be good for him. Don’t like it one bit.

Miller should be playing center Chytil should probably be home. I love the kid but I don’t think it is helping him at all or Vesey who gets pushed down in the process.

I also think Zibanejad should be killing penalties I hope that’s the case. He should get as many mins as possible that’s how we’re going to get the most out of him

In response...

I agree about Chytil but it's entirely possible that changes by the start of the season or even on a game by game basis. The PP lines always seem to be in flux.

Skjei not getting PP time doesn't bother me. McDonagh is very likely still better than him and having a forward on the point for the other combo is pretty standard and a good idea. I like Skjei a lot but I don't really see much PP QB in him, or at least any more than McDonagh and everyone seems to hate him.

Vesey...eh, again, let's see what happens. Grabner could slide down, Chytil could get sent back, nothing is truly set in stone yet. Honestly he's not really better than the guys in front of him so it is what it is.

I'll reserve judgement on Chytil. I'm a believer in letting guys earn it and giving them a chance, but being realistic once you give them that chance. If he struggles, send him back. If he owns it, he deserves it. If he bumps Vesey...well, it's either a good trade chip or it's depth. Really I look at it from the perspective that the Rangers are willing to give Chytil his chance but they're also obviously keeping things in place for the situation where he is sent back. Either way it works out fine...Chytil goes back, Vesey slides up in the lineup, no big deal, it's only a relatively small portion of games. If Chytil owns it, then awesome at that point I'm not wringing my hands over whether my 18 year old center that's playing good ass hockey and solidfying a top six spot is pushing down a top 9 player at the moment.

Agree about Zibs.

I'm pretty wait and see about all this because again I feel it's obvious the Rangers are feeling out the Chytil situation and nothing is set in stone here. I think Vesey will get his icetime one way or another, PP lines will get tinkered with, and the Rangers will be cautious in regard to Chytil's development.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Having DD on the the powerplay over Chytil tells me they don’t expect Chytil to be there long term. This is an extended look probably till Fast comes back.

No reason otherwise

Fast comes back you can slot JTM back at center move vesey back up to the top 9 and off you go.

If chytilmania runs wild thru 9 games then things change I’m sure. Win win situation

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Having DD on the the powerplay over Chytil tells me they don’t expect Chytil to be there long term. This is an extended look probably till Fast comes back.

No reason otherwise

Fast comes back you can slot JTM back at center move vesey back up to the top 9 and off you go.

If chytilmania runs wild thru 9 games then things change I’m sure. Win win situation
Yup yup yup.

I also think people are underrating DD here, but that's okay.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Where did I say I was disappointed, or that I was led to believe? I said, people are moving the goalposts. I have no disappointment. Prior to camp. Bereglazov was considered to be a front runner to win a spot on the blueline. Posters cited that he played RD in the KHL, and that the fact he had the out-clause he was more than likely going to be on the NHL squad. Both bobbop and Edge cited that given that ADA still could be sent down. this could also factor as to who would make the team. As for producing a post. frankly, I have neither the patience nor willingness to do such a thing. And the truth of the matter is, you're not really even addressing what I stated and are building your own strawmen for this argument.

Ok, and some blame is on me because now that I understand what you refer to I realize I just scanned past those posts and never took them serious.

There are at most like 4-5 defenders doing an OK job on the wrong side in the entire NHL. Some guys plays there a year or two before moved back. You can do an OK job offensively, but it's tough defensively.

When there are reports of someone playing the odd game on the wrong side in Europe or college and people instantly slots them in as rookies on the wrong side in the NHL I just don't pay any attention to it. McD could t do it, Skjei couldn't do it -- but Bereglazov is supposed to?

BG has reall good size, he is what like 6'5, how many bigger stay at home Ds play on the wrong side in he NHL? I can't think of any hat has been there for any longer period. Not one.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yup yup yup.

I also think people are underrating DD here, but that's okay.

I think most people are aware of his history of offensive production.

The issue is -for every story of a player's production dropping off over 2 seasons returning to form with a new team, there are a dozen players who simply never recover. Happens all the time.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Agree about Chytil and the PP and Vesey on the 4th line. I mentioned both those things. I think we can make it work though. I would move Grabner down to the 4th line, Vesey can be 3rd line, Chytil replaces Desharnais on the PP. The problem is that guys who came here for 4th line roles are now going to be taking top 9 and PP time away from young guys we project as part of our future in the top 9. Don't like that at all.

Skjei needs to kill penalties. Numbers don't add up, otherwise. McDonagh, Smith, Staal, ? Thats assuming DeAngelo will be in the lineup and Holden will not. I also think we need big defensive minutes from Skjei at even strength, so if they are going to put him in a shutdown role this season, I can understand him not getting PP time. Most seem to think his points were higher last season than they will be most years, I think he had a high secondary points percentage or something like that. He was also always projected as more of a defensive player than offensive player. Either Skjei plays a big shutdown role or we rely on Staal and Holden (who suck) because surely Shattenkirk and DeAngelo will be playing offensive roles.

As much as possible we should be giving jobs based on merit not age, clauses or nationality. The NHL doesn't hand the Stanley Cup to youngest team. They hand it to the team that earns it. If a guy plays like a 3rd liner he should play on the 3rd line. The guys that earn the most playing time should play the most. There will be occasional exceptions but a players actual play should dictate their minutes as much as possible.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
We shouldn't even need mcdonagh on the power play.

Run 4 forwards and 1 defebseman-- shattenkirk on pp1 and ADA on pp2...

Pp1
---------Kreider---------
Zibanejad-Buchnevich-Zuccarello
------Shattenkirk------

Reactions: Ori
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad