WC: 2017 Team Finland Pt. 2

Dahli

May 7, 2017
This is how it ends, either 3rd of 4th. Even if the final standing is a good result, the path was just awful.

The staff has made it all wrong: unable to attract NHLers, poor tactics (we were not able to score), mistakes in building the lines (hopefully they changed their mind for the QF). Our game was horribly slow. Hopefully, Säteri did a great job twice (Switzerland and USA) to save the team's honor.

Finnish team has been one of the most boring teams to watch, really hope to see something completely different next year

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Oh look. After one game of backpatting, the grasping at straws begins again.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Meh. It is what it is and they succeed better than expected in the end.

I was more mad during the World Cup (..or what ever that pre-season tourney was actually called..)

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Well, mr. Berry Hill flipped big time cuz the players took LIBERTIES from his iron hard testudo trap formation and got some OFFENSIVE zone stupid penalties collapsing mr. Berry Hill's unrealistic dreams and illusions (narcissistic or not) of becoming the third celebrated Lion coach with the laurels of world championship on his templates **** he were Julius Caesar himself crossing Rubicon and claiming Rome and its high throne.

Of course the guy went mad flipped like crazy. Narcissistic or not. -Do the math.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Unless somebody got Marjamäki threatening to kidnap a player's cat on tape, or something like that, that story won't threaten his job one bit.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's still cold fact that Finland has played exactly ONE good game in this tournament. It's sad but true.

1 good game this year.

Marjamaki won't get fired but I would like to see him gone. They've played boring hockey all year, and the fear of seeing potentially NHL players decline this tourney next year because of Marjamaki isn't all that great either.

Creativity, speed, fun has been missing all year.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Unless somebody got Marjamäki threatening to kidnap a player's cat on tape, or something like that, that story won't threaten his job one bit.

Hopefully you are right since as you said there is no other one with the competence free to take the job in this land of frozen hockey ponds. We live bleak times of cuts and scarcity indeed So, we are stuck with mr. Berry Hill and his dogmatic outlook for years to come. Be happy.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Creativity, speed, fun has been missing all year.

The Europe-based core of our team is neither fast nor creative, so we really don't have the personnel to play that way. It would require a pretty dramatic departure from recent continuity to implement a more fluid system, and that's just not happening with the way Liitto operates. Any change that might happen would be more of the same with a different face. We'll have to wait until we have a consistently available core of internationally proven high-skill players... And that'll take some years still.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Marjamäki's not going anywhere, but I hope both he and the federation are smart enough to look beyond the result of this tournament. I don't know if he's ticked off important NHL players, but if there's any truth to those rumors, the reasons behind it must be dissected and Marjamäki needs to fix it immediately. If it's about his game strategy, adjust it (which needs to be done anyway, because this one is pretty much garbage), and if it's personal, then he needs to study some psychology and learn how to get along with the players. I'm not saying he needs to lick anyone's skates, but come on, if both Jalonens were able to handle the NHL millionaires, so can Marjamäki if he wants to. He can't afford to alienate our best and most important players, no matter the reason. We can always get another coach, but our player pool isn't deep enough to **** the good ones off.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
The Europe-based core of our team is neither fast nor creative, so we really don't have the personnel to play that way.
Not to mention Marjamäki *did* try to evolve the game in that direction vs. Canada - and they promptly got their backsides handed to them because of it.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Hopefully you are right since as you said there is no other one with the competence free to take the job in this land of frozen hockey ponds.
I said there isn't one readily available, there's a difference. If Liitto absolutely had to find one, they would. But right now, they've no need.

Marjamäki's not going anywhere, but I hope both he and the federation are smart enough to look beyond the result of this tournament. I don't know if he's ticked off important NHL players, but if there's any truth to those rumors, the reasons behind it must be dissected and Marjamäki needs to fix it immediately. If it's about his game strategy, adjust it (which needs to be done anyway, because this one is pretty much garbage), and if it's personal, then he needs to study some psychology and learn how to get along with the players.
Marjamäki may be a lot of things, but stupid isn't one of them. I can't say whether those rumors have a hint of truth to them or are just overblown hearsay, but I'm pretty sure we'll be far wiser this time next year. Whatever mistakes he's made, I'm glad he himself is getting the first chance to fix them.

That's not to say some new guy couldn't fix them as well, but I'm fairly certain that he would however bring with him a new set of mistakes, like every coach new to this job does.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Not to mention Marjamäki *did* try to evolve the game in that direction vs. Canada - and they promptly got their backsides handed to them because of it.

For the record it didn't go much better against Tre Kronorna either, with the safe and sound, conservative trap system.

In this situation the relevsnt question is why wait then in the long and complex process of implementing new system and philosophy in National Team and through Federation and its organization(s). Especially if it is so long and deep rooted change which must be run through the whole governing and coaching body of the Federation.

Why wait? Wait for what? There is no time to wait. It is a long process you say. And in a sense it is. And actions for it must start now. Or is it only that the senior National Team plays oldfashioned hockey until it will be thrown away one night when Barkov turns 25 yo or Laine 22? Precisely then tbe change will take place!

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
This is a completely feelings-based argument, but what I've gathered from Marjamäki (it's not that much), he thinks screaming at adults from the top of his lungs is a good idea.

This aligns with the story about the shouting in the locker room, and the story about NHL'rs declining (Koivu wtf?) because Marjamäki treats his players like babies ("skate! skate!").

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
This is a completely feelings-based argument, but what I've gathered from Marjamäki (it's not that much), he thinks screaming at adults from the top of his lungs is a good idea.

This aligns with the story about the shouting in the locker room, and the story about NHL'rs declining (Koivu wtf?) because Marjamäki treats his players like babies ("skate! skate!").

Sounds like a beer league coach :shakehead

ijuka

May 14, 2016
http://www.is.fi/mmkiekko/art-2000005219858.html
If this is true Finnish hockey association's only option is fire Marjamaki.

Coach cannot get rid of the players even if they played badly.
I understand that if coach is angry but this-kind behavior is unacceptable.

Watch everyone be surprised when even less of our few good players will agree to come to worlds next year if Marjamäki still is coaching.

Assuming there is some truth to it, this article really made me lose hope in him: http://www.is.fi/mmkiekko/art-2000005209134.html

Last edited:

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Yeah for sure.
But how you are able to separate ******** and truth in these times when there's a lot disinformation.

Trust only reports that cite some relevant party, preferrably one without a profit motive and with a track record for being correct. For example in this matter of the locker-room tantrum, you'd want a source that was actually in the room or is known to be connected with someone who was(and knows what is and isn't out of line in those situations).

Assuming there is some truth to it, this article really made me lose hope in him: http://www.is.fi/mmkiekko/art-2000005209134.html

Don't assume there's any truth to it. None of his sources are named, and IS has been running with this narrative throughout the tournament(and turning a tidy profit with it, I'm sure). Just trying to give the casual viewer an easy explanation for why we didn't win the championship in dominant fashion once again(which they of course are given as a reasonable expectation every year). If the results were different, these same people would be singing Marjamäki's praises, no matter what their "sources" say.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Watch everyone be surprised when even less of our few good players will agree to come to worlds next year if Marjamäki still is coaching.

Lets play Olympics first before start worrying how many NHLers Finland gets next years world championships.

Hiring Marjamaki for men's national team head coach was terrible mistake.
But there's ain't any potential men's national team head coach candidate ( Karri Kivi,Jussi Ahokas etc) available before season 2018-2019 starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->