Speculation: 2017 TDL/Draft/Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
It's unfortunate, but I think it's safe to say that we as Devils fans are ready to look to the TDL/Draft/Off-season. What do you speculate and/or what do you think the Devils will/should do in preparation for the 2017-18 season with re-signings, signings, trades, drafting ect...

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
For the trade deadline i'm not expecting much activity; however there's not a whole lot of talent available on expiring contracts, so we might be able to squeeze a couple of mid round picks out of Parenteau & Quincey. Although he's not a true rental, Cammalleri would be one of the better players available if we retained some salary, but i'd say it's unlikely we see him moved this season.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
I hope we do make a deal that is a bit surprising to people at the deadline. If not for anything other than to send a message to the roster that this type of season wont be tolerated. Who knows if that would work though.

Ray will move PAP just like Stemp last year. hopefully we get something reasonable.

HischierSeDgewOrk

May 6, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
PAP for a 2nd or most likely a 3rd - free asset
Fiddler for a 5th/6th - Have Coleman take place for rest of year
Quincy for a 5th

Doubt they deal lovejoy but i'd take anything back for him as well. Maybe a 3rd or 4th.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
PAP gets hot he could bring back a second. More than likely it's a 3rd though. I'm not sure anyone would take anyone else that's been mentioned. Quincey is bad and didn't even have any interest this offseason, not sure why anyone would give up an asset, even a late one, for him. If someone calls and offers something for Camm you'd have to think real hard about it. I honestly think only PAP will be moved.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Parenteau will get us a mid-pick. None of our other "rentals" are good enough for anyone to want them.

I think it's a bit premature to start talking about the draft/offseason.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Not that it's a big deal, but I think Fiddler is the kind of player who gets a 5th/6th round pick out of a team like Edmonton.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
this is just spitballing and I would think it's very unlikely for Chicago to trade Kruger during the trade deadline but he's a candidate for them to move sometime this offseason because of their cap issues.

Anyway something like Parenteau+Fiddler(to replace Kruger for the rest of the season) for Kruger+picks/prospect. Devils help Chicago this season by giving them PAP and the next by removing Kruger's cap hit and hopefully by doing that it sweetens the return a bit.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
this is just spitballing and I would think it's very unlikely for Chicago to trade Kruger during the trade deadline but he's a candidate for them to move sometime this offseason because of their cap issues.

Anyway something like Parenteau+Fiddler(to replace Kruger for the rest of the season) for Kruger+picks/prospect. Devils help Chicago this season by giving them PAP and the next by removing Kruger's cap hit and hopefully by doing that it sweetens the return a bit.

Do we really need another 4th liner?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Blehhhh

I'd rather just get as high a pick as we can for Parenteau. Kruger doesn't do much for me and whatever "sweeteners" CHI throws in, won't be that sweet IMO.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
- Trade PAP for as high a pick as possible
- Offer Cammalleri with cap retention to try and return a 1st
- Poach a defenseman from an expansion-strained team
- Hope Castron can put the picks we still have to good use

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Castron quote prior to the 2016 draft:

Question: Do you believe in drafting the best players available or to fill the organization need?

Castron: "Our scouts work hard all season long and we put list together and we go by the list. That’s the order we have and we pick the best player. The Devils are picking 11th, but we won’t get the 11th available player. Their are guys you like and guys you don’t like for different reasons. They don’t go in order you understand that. You know who’s their and who your picking. Thats why we went to the games all year. We argue and debate about players. I guess you can say its the best player available. Its the order in the way the scouts view the players during the season, debate and hammer out the list in the meetings. Now General Manger Ray Shero has the last word. But he accepts what I do and say and the other scouts put the time in."

kiwidevil

Castron quote prior to the 2016 draft:

Question: Do you believe in drafting the best players available or to fill the organization need?

Castron: "Our scouts work hard all season long and we put list together and we go by the list. That’s the order we have and we pick the best player. The Devils are picking 11th, but we won’t get the 11th available player. Their are guys you like and guys you don’t like for different reasons. They don’t go in order you understand that. You know who’s their and who your picking. Thats why we went to the games all year. We argue and debate about players. I guess you can say its the best player available. Its the order in the way the scouts view the players during the season, debate and hammer out the list in the meetings. Now General Manger Ray Shero has the last word. But he accepts what I do and say and the other scouts put the time in."

Sounds like org. need is definitely observed.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I'd take Kruger if we send back Cammalleri (with some retention) for Kruger + Schmaltz/Pokka + pick.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
So this how I would like to see things:

TDL:
PAP for a 2nd/3rd Round pick
Josefson for a mid/late Round pick

Draft:
Though the Devils need a Top 2 potential D, the Devils may be picking at a point where they are able to acquire one of the Top 3 centers in this draft (Patrick, Vilardi, Hischier). The top D in this draft is Timothy Liljegren, who looks to be a great puck carrying, smooth skating defenseman. It is also said that Gabriel Vilaridi is the best two way center this draft has and also has some really good size. The Devils center depth can be locked up for years to come if they were to take one of the centers, with Zacha and McLeod. If the Devils were to go with Liljegren, they would be about one D man away from being very stout in the back end with Greene, Severson, Santini, Lovejoy, Moore, and Merrill bring depth. If the Devils have the opportunity to take Vilardi or Liljegren, that would be optimal.

Resignings:

Severson is an RFA, I'm hoping he gets the similar bridge deal Larsson got before he signed that 6-year deal.

Resign Bennett, Fiddler, and Kalinin to similar deals to make up the fourth line rotating with DSP.

Resign Kinkaid

Free-Agency:

I've liked Shero's approach through free agency the past two off seasons where he's been mostly using free agency for depth and not overpaying for the big fish and having a pissing contest with other teams. Shero has used the right approach by building this team through the draft and using assets in possession to trade with. Therefore, I am not a huge fan of the idea of going after Shattenkirk. However, the one bigger UFA I can see Shero going after is TJ Oshie, but I'm not banking on that. So, in terms of UFA's I don't see Shero doing much, but maybe a depth forward or D.

Trades:

I saw an interesting trade the other day on the trade board and though I have a soft spot for Henrique and I think we all do, this is a different team then it has been in past years and he's a valuable asset with a solid contract. That trade is:

ANA gets:
Adam Henrique (retain 25%)
+

NJD gets:
Sami Vatanen

Anaheim has to get rid of a D because they cannot protect all of them for the expansion draft. The Devils need a Top 4 D man. Anaheim needs a middle 6 Foward. I'm thinking the Devils probably have to add a 2nd but I think that would ultimately be worth it, considering how many draft picks they have and possibly will gain at the TDL.

2017-18 Lineup (no specific line combos/D-Pairings and no 2017 draft picks)

Hall-Zacha-Palmieri
Wood-Zajac-Cammalleri
Speers-McLeod-Bennett
DSP-Fiddler-Lappin
Kalinin

Greene-Severson
Santini-Vatanen
Lovejoy-Moore
Merrill

Schneider
Kinkaid

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That trade board thread was out to lunch. The Ducks never ever give us Vatanen for Rico straight up. If Rico was actually worth that we would be insane to be shopping him. We don't get Trouba or Vatanen for Rico without some massive adds.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
So this how I would like to see things:

2017-18 Lineup (no specific line combos/D-Pairings and no 2017 draft picks)

Hall-Zacha-Palmieri
Wood-Zajac-Cammalleri
Speers-McLeod-Bennett
DSP-Fiddler-Lappin
Kalinin

Greene-Severson
Santini-Vatanen
Lovejoy-Moore
Merrill

Schneider
Kinkaid

so you want Wood, Speers, McLeod, Zacha, and Bennett all in the top 9 next season? Jeeeez.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
- Trade PAP for as high a pick as possible
- Offer Cammalleri with cap retention to try and return a 1st
- Poach a defenseman from an expansion-strained team
- Hope Castron can put the picks we still have to good use

I'm down with all this, sounds like a good start and relatively achievable.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
There is that line of thought that a pick a couple years down the road is worth less then one for the upcoming draft.

If possible I'd spread the picks out in such manner. Not only to get as high a return as possible, but also to keep there from being a log jam. Especially if we go making multiple trades the likes of Fiddler, JJ, DSP and whomever for 5 rndr's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad