Transfer: 2017 Summer Transfers and Rumors Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
FSG has shown in the past they won't be bullied into doing something if they don't want to. They're not going to sell and I'm sure that they're in constant communication with Klopp about the situation.

What this says to me is that either Klopp only wants Keita/van Dijk or they still believe those deals can go through because they haven't moved on. With the money they were rumoured to be trying to throw around this window there's no doubt to me they are 100% behind Klopp.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I know Southampton has said VVD is staying but ownership has apparently told Pellegrino that they must sell before they can buy.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd totally sell him at that point and then go to PSG and figure out what pieces they are moving.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'd totally sell him at that point and then go to PSG and figure out what pieces they are moving.

I agree but they don't have a plan and it's too late into the window.

That being said, Liverpool would have at least 250m in the bank from selling Coutinho, and not buying Keita and Virgil. There is no reason that they couldn't go around and start triggering release clauses. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to improve the squad by doing so either.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah, as I said from the beginning I'd have no problem selling Coutinho (and I really don't want him after this 'saga') for whatever as I don't value him what they do but I'm not 100% confident in the team to actually reinvest the money properly. I mean, realistically speaking there's no reason they couldn't have already bought a few more targets but they're deadset on Keita and van Dijk so it seems like they just aren't entertaining 'Plan B's.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not really, Liverpool has been known to spend money in the dumbest ways.

Cough Rickie Lambert, Markovic, Aspas, Carroll etc...

So I guess they should buy anyone then? I'm sorry but I can stand that point of view. Liverpool need to get smarter but Every club makes bad signings. The problem is simply that Liverpool haven't planned.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So I guess they should buy anyone then? I'm sorry but I can stand that point of view. Liverpool need to get smarter but Every club makes bad signings. The problem is simply that Liverpool haven't planned.

Well, right now I don't mind their approach. They have a very specific team plan in mind and if a player doesn't improve the team (Keita, van Dijk) what's the point in buying them? The coaches know better who fits their plans and perhaps they are trying to give more time to the academy/back-up players we already have this season. As far as squad depth goes...we'll see how it works out. Team chemistry and unity matter a lot too when you can't just go out and buy the top players in the world consistently. Our depth, aside from centreback, is actually not all that bad especially if they're going to play Coutinho.

Like you keep bringing up Draxler. Look at Draxler's production over the last few years, and what he did at Wolfsburg, etc. Aside from being a very hyped talent who had a very strong year 4 years ago how does he really improve the team other than what we think he would do? Origi, Sturridge, Solanke and even Kent would surely get looks after how everything went down before needing to necessarily buy someone like Draxler (not to mention Milner a capable offensive player as well, etc.)

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007

There plan is to keep Phil, nothing wrong with that. If they get VVD then its a solid window for them.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Well, right now I don't mind their approach. They have a very specific team plan in mind and if a player doesn't improve the team (Keita, van Dijk) what's the point in buying them? The coaches know better who fits their plans and perhaps they are trying to give more time to the academy/back-up players we already have this season. As far as squad depth goes...we'll see how it works out. Team chemistry and unity matter a lot too when you can't just go out and buy the top players in the world consistently. Our depth, aside from centreback, is actually not all that bad especially if they're going to play Coutinho.

Like you keep bringing up Draxler. Look at Draxler's production over the last few years, and what he did at Wolfsburg, etc. Aside from being a very hyped talent who had a very strong year 4 years ago how does he really improve the team other than what we think he would do? Origi, Sturridge, Solanke and even Kent would surely get looks after how everything went down before needing to necessarily buy someone like Draxler (not to mention Milner a capable offensive player as well, etc.)

Draxler is a creative player. Salah is more direct. Draxler represents a different option and he is better overall than Salah. Draxler is also a left sided player and adds sorely needed wing depth. There are plenty of games.

The fact is, Liverpool turning down 125m for Coutinho is telling me that they can't improve the team with 250m in the bank budgeted for transfers, which leaves me really disappointed with Liverpool's name brand and cash to back them up, there is no reason they shouldn't be more ambitious.

Liverpool should be using this time (since Coutinho's "back injury" was announced) to figure out what players they can get and how much their release clauses are. Until proving otherwise I don't think they have done anything, in a summer where they needed to the most.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There plan is to keep Phil, nothing wrong with that. If they get VVD then its a solid window for them.

I don't really agree with that and I don't think LFC should assume that they are getting Virgil either.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Would Liverpool be a better team if they sold Coutinho, and then took the money to buy VVD and Draxler?

Still think the MF isn't strong enough if they do that.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
To my understanding that offer was only £82.2m. Heard one of the add-ons was him winning Ballon d'Or :laugh:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Would Liverpool be a better team if they sold Coutinho, and then took the money to buy VVD and Draxler?

Still think the MF isn't strong enough if they do that.

They wanted VVD before Barca came in for Coutinho. That would be a terrible window if that was it.

What would make Liverpool better is if they took that 250m and got 4 players around 60m in quality and reinforced. It's not a one in/one out scenario here.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
They wanted VVD before Barca came in for Coutinho. That would be a terrible window if that was it.

What would make Liverpool better is if they took that 250m and got 4 players around 60m in quality and reinforced. It's not a one in/one out scenario here.

No I agree. It's also really hard to now take windfall from Coutinho and splurge. I was more thinking of what's readily available if you did sell. VVD is debatable I guess, but I think theyd sell with a big offer.

Was just thinking out loud if there's a way selling Coutinho at this stage, with whats available, makes you a better team.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No I agree. It's also really hard to now take windfall from Coutinho and splurge. I was more thinking of what's readily available if you did sell. VVD is debatable I guess, but I think theyd sell with a big offer.

Was just thinking out loud if there's a way selling Coutinho at this stage, with whats available, makes you a better team.

The way I see it:

Liverpool will have 200-250m from Coutinho sale and not buying Keita and Virgil.

What they should be doing is finding out who they can get and what their releases clauses are so they can act quickly. Money isn't the problem. Name status of the team isn't the problem, so what's the obstacle besides stubbornness and laziness?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The reason they aren't selling Coutinho has nothing to do with signing other players.

They want to send a message that when players sign a five year contract in February they will not be bullied into selling them in August.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Was really quiet, but some updates.

- Arsenal still want Lemar and the negotiations are ongoing, but as we all know Monaco will not let him go for cheap.

- Debuchy could be moving to Besiktas.

- Multiple rumours of Arsenal going in for Draxler if Lemar's deal is stopped. His agent though said he's happy at PSG, but PSG might want to cash in on him with Neymar's addition.

- Arsenal linked with Juan Cuadrado, but seems strange.

- Arsenal rejected a loan offer for Mustafi from Inter. :laugh:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

Pretty dominating back line. Can't see how Spurs aren't best defense in the EPL again.

Bit early to say with Sanchez I would say, but fantastic depth now. Even better if Foyth can be signed as well. Good planning (again - very impressed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad