Transfer: 2017 Summer Transfers and Rumors Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
So Barcelona did a big thing about Messi's contract and it turns out that he never signed one. It expires in 2018.

That's brilliant. And not at all surprising with this Barca board. He could leverage his departure to force Bartomeu out. Or he could go to England or something. It'll be very interesting.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
That's brilliant. And not at all surprising with this Barca board. He could leverage his departure to force Bartomeu out. Or he could go to England or something. It'll be very interesting.

Yup, Barto and his crew need to be embarrassed like this further in the public eye. Told the media that Leo signed his new contract in June, but Barca VP came out and admitted that isn't the case. Iniesta's also without a contract after this season

Jul 7, 2009
Yup, Barto and his crew need to be embarrassed like this further in the public eye. Told the media that Leo signed his new contract in June, but Barca VP came out and admitted that isn't the case. Iniesta's also without a contract after this season

Its quite sad to be honest.

Losing Neymar hurts.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
One would hope Messi wouldn't leave Barcelona to join freaking PSG of all clubs.

But if F.C. Barcelona really does implode like all this doom and gloom suggests - it's only fair after they enjoyed so much success and the best player in football history. It feels to me that they started losing their identity after Pep left and that old president (Laporte?) was voted out, they made bizarre transfers, got transfer bans, gave up the Unicef sponsorship in lieu of Qatar, and slowly dismantled everything that made them so special... they still won the treble despite it all in 2015.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Do people think barca will get relegated?:laugh:

Barca will have a sub par year by their standards, probably ended up trophy less but will still make it deep in the CL and under a new president in the summer of 2018 they get the necessary transfers in and move on from this.

Lio and Iniesta both will stay.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Do people think barca will get relegated?:laugh:

Barca will have a sub par year by their standards, probably ended up trophy less but will still make it deep in the CL and under a new president in the summer of 2018 they get the necessary transfers in and move on from this.

Lio and Iniesta both will stay.
Yeah pretty likely I'd say. I can't see Messi leaving.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
On paper I'm not even sure they have a better team than Atletico. Sure they have Messi and Suarez, but Atletico's defense is definitely better, while I'd also take their midfield over Barca's.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You can say what you want about the market, but bored and egotistical billionaires does make for some great entertainment.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
You can say what you want about the market, but bored and egotistical billionaires does make for some great entertainment.

Everyone are entitled to their opinion and I'm not going to say you are wrong to be entertained. But I don't know a single person in real life who I would consider "real" football fans who would agree to that. Even people I know supporting Chelsea (I don't know anyone supporting City).

People who love the sport football generally hate it (at least from my experience in Europe - I think the attitude is slightly different in Asia - having lived there - NA I don't know other than what I can see on boards like this). It adds NOTHING to the "product" on the pitch (and I'm not one of those complaining about the money in football - as long as it is generated by football itself).

I would watch every single big game in the PL, Spain and occasionally Germany and France 10-15 years ago. Now - if City play Chelsea I couldn't care less. Plastic fantastic.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Everyone are entitled to their opinion and I'm not going to say you are wrong to be entertained. But I don't know a single person in real life who I would consider "real" football fans who would agree to that. Even people I know supporting Chelsea (I don't know anyone supporting City).

People who love the sport football generally hate it (at least from my experience in Europe - I think the attitude is slightly different in Asia - having lived there - NA I don't know other than what I can see on boards like this). It adds NOTHING to the "product" on the pitch (and I'm not one of those complaining about the money in football - as long as it is generated by football itself).

I would watch every single big game in the PL, Spain and occasionally Germany and France 10-15 years ago. Now - if City play Chelsea I couldn't care less. Plastic fantastic.

I'm not saying it's the best the for the sport, but the Neymar saga was entertaining, simple as that. City wanting to now one up PSG will be entertaining, simple as that. Part of the reason we follow the game is for the entertainment factor. Why else would we all be posters on an internet message board about transfers.

The one good thing that I like about this though, is that the truly elite players will start to spread out to more teams instead of just staying at the old traditional elite clubs.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Patrick Roberts to Celtic on a 1 year loan rumored now. If true it would mean Roberts has been loaned by Man City to Celtic for 2.5 years lol.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I'm not saying it's the best the for the sport, but the Neymar saga was entertaining, simple as that. City wanting to now one up PSG will be entertaining, simple as that. Part of the reason we follow the game is for the entertainment factor. Why else would we all be posters on an internet message board about transfers.

The one good thing that I like about this though, is that the truly elite players will start to spread out to more teams instead of just staying at the old traditional elite clubs.

I don't think transfer windows were any less interesting 10-15 years ago.

Neither do I believe the talent was less spread out. Maybe we had a period with the introduction of the CL were you had an accumulation of talent at big clubs (probably without having studied it), but before that talent was most certainly more spread out than today.

Jimmy Greaves. Quite possibly the best English goalscorer ever (certainly top 3). Not that Spurs were a bad team at that time, but never won the league in 9 years. Actually the only thing I think he won was the Cup Winners Cup. Hoddle. Amazing amazing football player. Spent most of his career at a team that was slightly better than mid table on average. Just two examples from the team I know best. You will find close to world class players in a lot more teams in the 60-70-80s and maybe early 90s than you do today (even if most of them were at the biggest of course).

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's really too bad that we didn't end up getting Kovacic. That guy is a beast and just insanely good. I still feel like he should start for RM and it's a shame he's not a locked on starter. He'd walk into any team in the world and I'd take him in a second over any of our midfielders (Coutinho included).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sure, but back then, money wasn't the same as it is today. The days of those star players staying at their club are gone IMO. With the vast increase in money in sports from the 90s to now, the star players want their pay day.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
So a third bid was rejected for Coutinho . Not exactly sure what Barca is trying to prove here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad