Transfer: 2017 Summer Transfer Rumors XI: The End

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I kind of like that cheeky bid from Barca. With the news today of UEFA starting an investigation on PSG, and most other leagues' windows being closed, there could always be a chance they need to get something for him now and his salary off the books, and Barca might not be competing with anyone for him. It's worth a shot. If they don't get him, whatever, he's not great enough as that it would be a problem to miss out on him.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He's also the kind of player they'll discard when Coutinho is available next summer. As long as it's still that board and as long as they still want Cou.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I kind of like that cheeky bid from Barca. With the news today of UEFA starting an investigation on PSG, and most other leagues' windows being closed, there could always be a chance they need to get something for him now and his salary off the books, and Barca might not be competing with anyone for him. It's worth a shot. If they don't get him, whatever, he's not great enough as that it would be a problem to miss out on him.

It's just UEFA trying to look tough even though they know PSG is totally fine by FFP rules.
PSG have been in touch with them for two months and even visisted them for 3 hours and everything was perfectly fine for them.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Spanish sources say they're still after Coutinho today.
I'm sure they are, but he won't be signed now. Maybe they will do a Keita and make a deal for next summer.

I read a story that said Klopp was going to have talks with the player over his mentality in a few days. Should be fun. :sarcasm:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And Barca got rejected by everyone in the end, even for Di Maria. No more recruits apparently.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Per a reliable Monaco insider, Barca proposed 70M€ for Lemar. :laugh:
Got rejected, but they said it was their final offer. :facepalm:

I mean, Monaco should be so honored to be phoned by Barca that a 30M discount should be made (in fact, Monaco is now asking for 125M).

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I'd like to apologize to Stray Wasp for ever intimating that West Ham's owners were on a different tier than Mike Ashley.

They really aren't. Honestly, I kind of underestimated just how much the support has turned in that direction.

No apology necessary.

I wouldn't triumph over any set of fans saddled with bad ownership- even sunderland.

I must confess, while I have pretensions to being a cynic, the noisy shamelessness of some of the incompetents running clubs rarely fails to stagger me.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sevilla sign Johannes Geis from Schalke

Geis can play some beautiful long balls, but he's not too mobile, not a great dribbler, and he's not lightening quick with the short passes to keep pressers away from him. A useful player in the right situation, but he never rounded his game out and developed the skills to do anything more than launch counters from deep.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Geis can play some beautiful long balls, but he's not too mobile, not a great dribbler, and he's not lightening quick with the short passes to keep pressers away from him. A useful player in the right situation, but he never rounded his game out and developed the skills to do anything more than launch counters from deep.

Yeah, he was a beast in FIFA for me.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
It's just UEFA trying to look tough even though they know PSG is totally fine by FFP rules.
PSG have been in touch with them for two months and even visisted them for 3 hours and everything was perfectly fine for them.

To be honest, I doubt those reports, whereever they are from. Institutions like those don't really operate on a stand-by level where a club can just call them and request if they can do something and get green lights - no way that body would have all the necessary information to really make a judgement. Those things take a lot more time and documentation.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Look at PSG's detailed reponse.
August 28th, they spent 3 hours at UEFA to explain their position.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Look at PSG's detailed reponse.
August 28th, they spent 3 hours at UEFA to explain their position.

And that's all nice and good, but it's just the one side. We'll see if UEFA feels the same way about what they have been shown and what has been talked about. I'm not expecting them to be in the wrong, but them saying they've been trying to be transparent before isn't exactly the end of the line, to me.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
And Barca got rejected by everyone in the end, even for Di Maria. No more recruits apparently.

Excellent news. I'm very grateful for the management of both Liverpool and PSG for rejecting bids for their players. Liverpool in particular I'd like thank as they apparently rejected a 160 million bid (110 + 50 or 120 +40). In fact I think I'll send a nice bouquet of flowers.

Barça reportedly pulled out of the market altogether about at least 45 minutes before the post I'm quoting here. They were told the price for Lemar was 120 million.

Overall Barça's window was very bad. Losing Neymar, failing to offload the dead wood, Paulinho and failing to address a position or two equate to a bad window. That said it could have been much worse. They at least brought in 2-3 good signings as it stands right now in Dembele, Semedo and Deulofeu. Dembele looks the best true replacement for Neymar. Semedo so far has looked quite good when he's been given the minutes and if he is at that level consistently he'll have been a bargain, especially in this market. Deulofeu if managed properly has plenty to offer and has already shown glimpses of what he can add while he cost very little to bring back and at the very least should be a capable squad player. They also failed to bring in players they don't need (Lemar, di Maria) or players that weren't worth the money (Coutinho), so more great news right there. They even had a negative net transfer spend when it was all said and done. Still if properly managed this window could and most definitely should have been so much more.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And that's all nice and good, but it's just the one side. We'll see if UEFA feels the same way about what they have been shown and what has been talked about. I'm not expecting them to be in the wrong, but them saying they've been trying to be transparent before isn't exactly the end of the line, to me.

It doesn't take a genius to understand PSG has planned a long time ago to be inside the FFP rules. Them going there and making sure UEFA gets it, as they've done twice in the last two months is pretty much another proof.

PSG officials aren't idiots.

UEFA made this statement today to appease the big boys clubs (Bayern, Juve, Real, Barca) who don't like a team reaching their small club. That's why FFP exists : to make clubs don't become too big too fast and threaten to unbalance the small boys club.
Pretty sure nothing will come out of it.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Looking at the transfers, this window isn't as crazy as it's made out to be if you ask me. I think had a lot of the rumored deals happened (Coutinho, Lemar, Sanchez, etc) then it could have been. In terms of the actual transfers though it wasn't that crazy.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
It doesn't take a genius to understand PSG has planned a long time ago to be inside the FFP rules. Them going there and making sure UEFA gets it, as they've done twice in the last two months is pretty much another proof.

PSG officials aren't idiots.
I have zero reason to just take their words for or to just appeal to their authority. If there's proof, neither you nor I know at this point - you just choose to believe PSG's word for it. Again, I'm not expecting them to have messed this up, as I indeed don't believe they are idiots. But whatever their meetings/chats with UEFA were before, these bodies generally don't opperate at the request of teams - I doubt that UEFA have checked everything there is to it through these meetings so far. I'm not expecting problems for PSG, but I also have zero reason to believe the investigation is a joke because PSG says so. Their statement is actually somewhat interesting in one regard - their notion that they have valuable players they could sell in the next transfer windows would suggest that they themselves see a chance that their numbers are not okay as of now, and they would have to balance things later.

That's why FFP exists : to make clubs don't become too big too fast and threaten to unbalance the small boys club.
Not really, clubs are free to become very big if they do it financially organically. Getting a random billionair owner to pump a billion euros into his new toy just isn't a positive thing.

Pretty sure nothing will come out of it.
I really don't expect anything different. I just don't think that's a foregone conclusion already to the people that matter.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
I'm sure they are, but he won't be signed now. Maybe they will do a Keita and make a deal for next summer.

I read a story that said Klopp was going to have talks with the player over his mentality in a few days. Should be fun. :sarcasm:

His back may start to hurt again from stress. Klopp should take it easy on the lad

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
And yet Arsenal have not even come close to the shambles that Liverpool were in not so long ago. There are worse tests of resolve as a fan than just not finishing in the top 4 for the first time in ages (and still winning the FA Cup).

Two different situations for two very different clubs... and why is this turning into a "competition"?

As a Arsenal fan, we got toyed by ownership and Wenger for the past decade now. We've been promised this, that and the other and as of today, we're still waiting. We've had teams that needed one or two legit players, players that were actually for sale, who would've turned us from pretenders to contenders. Ownership has been talking about investing 150M to 180M every summer in those ****ing warechests they keep bragging about and every year, they buy above average players at a average price and they end up flopping.

Granted, we did get a couple of big fishes plus Lacazette but with the ********* that is going on now and will probably end at the same time next year, I really don't know what and who the identity of this club will be. Is Wenger really going to be given carte Blanche to sign his guys when he'll have one year left on his deal, meaning that his eventual replacement might want a shot at a clean slate instead of getting a squad he didn't pick.

Losing both Sanchez and Ozil with nothing to show for it would bordeline cripple this team. It wouldn't be good on the pitch (obviously) but I think it'll hurt off the field even more. Who in their right mind would want to join this train wreck. Signing a gambreaking player when he won't know if he'll have the same coach/system the following year is gonna be a hard sell.

All I'm saying is that we've been jerked around in the past but I think this window takes the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad