2017 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by bluesfan94, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corto

Corto Faceless Man

They have a 4-3-3, and they've been using it.

Ribery and Robben ageing on the front 3, and Xabi in the middle 3 doesn't help...
    Robben might have a season or two in him yet, but Bayern need to find replacements for those 3 primarily.

Sanchez and another world class AM/wide striker will work, but I'm sceptical of Kimmich replacing Xabi (or rather, Kimmich being a world class midfielder that Bayern need him to be if they want to run vs Real, Barca, Juve and PSG).
    FWIW, Kimmich said he'd rather be Xabi's successor than Lahm's at RB.

The system is there, it's just that some players need to be replaced next season.

2. bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223 Registered User

You said 30 not 50. Money isn't an object for China and those transfer fees are also a statement to the rest of the world that they can get prime aged players from top clubs, not just older, not as good, or from non-top leagues. I think Oscar would've been sold at 50 as well, and 40 is probably the point where Chelsea values the depth over the money, it's not like they were looking to sell.

But, sure believe in some conspiracy if you want.

3. Havre

Havre Registered User

I changed it to 50 so that we wouldn't argue more about the value of Oscar (personally I believe it is closer to 30 in the European market).

You mean they didn't want to pay less for Oscar just to make a statement? I take my "conspiracy" theory then. Not sure if you are serious.

4. bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223 Registered User

I agree, something around 25-30 would've been what he'd return to a typical club in Europe if Chelsea were motivated to sell.

Then, what about Hulk, Teixeira, or Martinez? Do you really believe there is a conspiracy that multiple Chinese clubs want to ensure that Chelsea receives more money, so they have an advantage over their Euro competitors? I think you are undervaluing the impact of the politics involved in Chinese soccer. If you are trying to buy something that isn't available, you have to massively overpay, that's just basic economics. That's what happened. Similar reasons for why Juve paid so much for Higuain, money wasn't an object and Napoli was only going to sell for crazy money.

Take Ramires, he sold for pretty close to his value because Chelsea were already motivated to sell him. Oscar may have become more of a depth piece, but we weren't motivated to sell him quite yet for his market value.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  5. Havre

Havre Registered User

Chelsea, Zenit and Shakhtar got things in common. Martinez is the odd one out in that respect.

I don't know what to believe, but if I were a Chinese politician I wouldn't instruct clubs to overpay for European players without getting something more than just an expensive football player. I understand the politics behind it (at least on the surface). I used to live in China. I know Xi Jinping loves football. I also know the Chinese aren't stupid. They don't generally do these kind of things out of lack of knowledge (like we have seen some foreign investors doing in for example the PL/England).

If they had overpaid for Messi, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic or something like that I could have understood. What kind of name recognition etc. will someone like Martinez bring? Many fans in Europe wouldn't even really know him. Teixeira the same. So why "target" players that, if following your argumentation - aren't for sale, and at the same time don't really bring anything extra to the league compared to dozens of players that would be for sale every summer at much lower prices?

It might not be anything there, but I still think these are questions worth asking. Especially if a limited number of clubs end up getting fresh money year after year in such a way. I'll ask again when the 5th Chelsea player gets sold.

6. cgf

cgf FireBednarsSuccessor

Browbeaten Bookkeeper
    Kimmich has been better than Xabi for two seasons now; why would he suddenly regress now that the old spaniard is no longer blocking him for PT?

7. cgf

cgf FireBednarsSuccessor

Browbeaten Bookkeeper
    Some people will find conspiracy theories to latch onto in everything

8. Luigi Habs

Luigi Habs Captain Saku

I'm reading Real Madrid preparing to bid 45M for 16-yr old Vinicius Jr? How does that make sense? Where's Odegaard btw?

9. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

Remember when the norwegian poster came here after that transfer and told us all how Odegaard made the right career choice when we said he ruined everything for money (because, he said, Odegaard and his father are smart and would NEVER make a choice based on money) ?
    How would he look in Monaco, Ajax or Porto right now?

10. Wee Baby Seamus

Wee Baby Seamus Yo, Goober, where's the meat?

I can only imagine if Odegaard had picked any of those three (or Southampton, who were also linked). If only he had the good sense of Ousmane Dembele, who was obviously infinitely ahead of Odegaard in the development curve but still rejected Madrid for a place where he'd play more.

11. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

Indeed. Odegaard is still younger than Dembele though and has plenty of talent. He could still grow into an elite player, though he's been pretty luke warm at Heerenveen with some moments of brilliance. You can see the talent is there but yes his development seems to have been stunted moving to Real Madrid -- he could have chosen basically any other club and it would have been smarter. Ajax would have been probably the best one for him to go to but anyway.

12. Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon Dybalascibar

Pretty sure it's done now...

Also Musacchio is close to finalizing his switch Milan... not a good career move for him.

13. Havre

Havre Registered User

Glad you could clear that up :laugh:

Feel free to disagree of course.....

14. Ajacied

Ajacied Stay strong Appie! ❤

It was also Ajax which eventually decided no. He wouldn't have cracked Ajax' starting 11. Klaassen anchors that entire team. Not to mention the talent pool at AM. Odegaard isn't even a starter for Heerenveen with Aissaidi bursting onto the scene. He was a liability during his first few games. Real Madrid fines Heerenveen €40.000 for every match he doesn't play, so the coach usually brings him in during injury time now. Heerenveen is a good place for him though. He just needs some seasoning and maturity. Definitely not as ready and impressive as previously hyped.

Hard time seeing him get quality time in Monaco or Porto, the way he's currently developing.

15. Deficient Mode

Deficient Mode Registered User

Uhhhhh what??? That's a thing?

Still plenty of time for him to turn things around. The guy is absurdly creative. Doubt his career goes to waste completely. He needs to get out of Madrid. That much is very clear.

16. les Habs

les Habs Registered User

Yeah. Not the same clause, though perhaps it should be, Granada have to pay Barça every time Sergi Samper plays. So now that they're going down for sure they've stopped playing him to save money.

17. phisherman

phisherman Registered User

I wouldn't call it good sense regarding Dembele's transfer. Read up on the shady business behind his transfer.

18. cgf

cgf FireBednarsSuccessor

Browbeaten Bookkeeper
    "The shady business" meaning the Rennes owners stake in Puma or Dembele deciding on BVB?

19. Deficient Mode

Deficient Mode Registered User

The shady business has to do simply with his shuffling of agents. Not with his choice of club to develop at.

20. Blender

Blender Registered User

No one even needs to bother. The burden of proof is on you to prove these allegations that there is anything crooked going on.

21. Live in the Now

Live in the Now Registered User

Awards:
    Only if you consider an agent sending their client to Chelsea and then to China to make the most money "crooked."

All clubs have an agent they prefer to deal with. Just so happens that Chelsea's favorite agents also like China. The lesson here is that if you want to make money buy South American attackers who are barely not good enough to start for Brazil and Argentina. If Joorabachian or Mendes are the agent, you're set.

22. phisherman

His choice eh?

"There is no suggestion that Pinault’s influence resulted in Dembélé moving to the German side, but Sambagué believes that Rennes had “closed the door to all of the clubs except Dortmund, who were willing to pay more than the clauseâ€.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ennes-borussia-dortmund-agents-release-clause

23. Havre

Havre Registered User

Am I saying anyone needs to bother? I'm just interested in seeing if someone else feels the same way or are able to convince me I'm asking stupid questions.

Not sure if that is such a strange thing for someone writing on an Internet forum.

"Burden of proof" is taking it a bit far isn't it? I'm not writing a scientific paper and agree or disagree I have argued my case. As you say you don't have to bother.

24. phisherman

People get ******** when you question their club's integrity. It's as if their club is immune to any wrongdoing.

25. Live in the Now

Live in the Now Registered User

Awards:
    FIFA is opening an inquiry into Pogba's transfer to United.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.