Transfer: 2017 Summer Transfer Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
How much would Laporte cost?? I want him for Arsenal.

More than what I'd want to pay. So thrilled we got Umtiti last Summer for what is very likely less than half of what Laporte cost.

Paying 70M euros for Morata is insane.

He's not a 70 million player even in this market.

Barca should be all over that. Well any team should be really, but Barca would be a great fit IMO.

If Barca don't get him they can go **** off... He's worth whatever the price is.

It's Barcelona or Juventus. Juve often finance purchases by selling spare parts or stars. They have neither available to sell this summer.

I read something about his wanting to go to Juventus. Either way I don't know that Barça will get him. There's a lot of pressure on the board to do something though. Laporta is on the attack and a Copa season isn't good enough for the supporters. So we'll see.

I would rule Madrid out here though. Mbappe' sounds set to stay at Monaco and Madrid are going to cash in on Rodriguez and Morata if not somebody else. Hell they could find a PL buyer to pay Verratti's fee for Kroos and it'd be a wash. Speaking of that, Verratti could be an upgrade on Kroos or he could simply replace Casemiro. I also recall reading that if Madrid won the CL that Modric might leave, though I thought that was BS.

Madrid continue to prove themselves very good at offloading their very good but not great players on desperate but rich Premier League teams. The cachet of having succeeded at Madrid really sells.

When they sell Rodriguez I could see him living up to the price tag with the right team in the right league. So IMO he could be an exception depending on the fee. You're absolutely right though and Morata will be another glaring example.

That's a lot of money but I guess it doesn't matter cuz it's unlimited

It may seem unlimited now, but I wonder if it's sustainable. Either I'd simply want my club to do better in the transfer market when there are better players available for less.

Does anyone know a journalist named Paolo Bargiggia?

He is saying Barca is set to make a 100 million dollar offer for Verratti and that they will meet with his agent on Monday.

See above. Only other thing I'll add is that PSG don't like us and business might be difficult.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He's a useful part, but doesn't replace Ibrahimovic. Not that they could do that anyway. Between Rashford and Morata they will probably score a few more league goals than Ibrahimovic scored this season. Probably 22 between the two of them.

They will need Mkhitaryan and Pogba to score more goals from midfield and attacking midfield positions.

Mkh scored 4 league goals and Pogba scored 5. Mata scored 6.

The top four teams?

Hazard with 16, Pedro with 9, Willian with 8, Marcos Alonso with 6, Fabregas 5. Cahill also came up from the back with 6 goals.

Alli with 18, Son from wide left with 14, Eriksen with 8.

Sterling with 7, de Bruyne with 6...so a little low, and a LOT of players with 5.

Mane and Coutinho with 13 each, Lallana with 8, Wijnaldum with 6.

This is a league regularly decided by goals from players who aren't your strikers. That being said, it's obvious why they'd buy Morata and it's a good signing despite the cost. They have nobody to hold up the ball with Ibrahimovic leaving, but it isn't a massive difference making signing because he's replacing what they lost. What they have to have is for Mkhitaryan and Pogba to score ten or more goals each, most likely. Their defenders are no threat coming forward or on set pieces, Fellaini and Herrera don't score either.

Or they could just sign a wide player or midfielder who scores a lot of goals. That would be smart.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That being said, if they get Juventus Morata who scores 7 goals and don't sign at least two or three other goal scoring players, they won't challenge for anything. His other contributions won't look so good otherwise, with the exception of combination play with Mkhitaryan. Pogba isn't a lost cause, but people shouldn't be expecting another attacking level from him. He scored one league goal after December was over.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Mkhitaryan certainly can be the midfielder who scores lots of goals. I could see him gelling very nicely with Morata. In theory at least. Who knows how Mou will affect that.

I think Zlatan's effect on United last season and his irreplaceability to them is a bit overrated honestly.

That being said, if they get Juventus Morata who scores 7 goals and don't sign at least two or three other goal scoring players, they won't challenge for anything. His other contributions won't look so good otherwise, with the exception of combination play with Mkhitaryan. Pogba isn't a lost cause, but people shouldn't be expecting another attacking level from him. He scored one league goal after December was over.

He scored 7 goals but also had 7 assists. As a bench player. It could be worse.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Mkhitaryan certainly can be the midfielder who scores lots of goals. I could see him gelling very nicely with Morata. In theory at least. Who knows how Mou will affect that.

He scored 7 goals but also had 7 assists. As a bench player. It could be worse.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a bad signing or something like that. It is merely the case that they absolutely had to make this signing, and they need Pogba and Mkh to show their value. Especially Pogba.

I think Zlatan's effect on United last season and his irreplaceability to them is a bit overrated honestly.

Well, considering the way Mourinho wants to play football, it probably isn't. With another manager it's a different story. Unless they signed Lukaku or Costa, or any other massively unrealistic signing of a player that isn't available, they would have some sort of problem. Mourinho wants a big, outdated central forward. I probably shouldn't call the position outdated, but his vision of the role certainly is. Forwards like Belotti who would score more goals probably weren't even under consideration.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Belotti may not have exceptional size & strength like Drogba did; but his aerial ability, hold up skills, and ferocity would seem to tick a lot of Mourinho's boxes.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Size and strength is definitely needed for Mourinho football though. So are defenders and midfielders who score goals with their head, which makes some of his choices even more strange.

I would assume they have to score about 35-40 more goals to challenge for the title.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Well, considering the way Mourinho wants to play football, it probably isn't. With another manager it's a different story. Unless they signed Lukaku or Costa, or any other massively unrealistic signing of a player that isn't available, they would have some sort of problem. Mourinho wants a big, outdated central forward. I probably shouldn't call the position outdated, but his vision of the role certainly is. Forwards like Belotti who would score more goals probably weren't even under consideration.

Morata is pretty strong and direct. Not a tower, but still a powerful player. He's not smaller than Benz or Higuain, and Mou made do with them.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
This is directly the effect of Emery's poor man management.

Anyway, PSG are ready to spend a record fee on Mbappé.
Don't see the point, he won't come anyway.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Klaassen to Everton rumors heating up again. Daily Mirror expects this to be done in less than 10 days. Fee should be between 23 and 28M.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
This is directly the effect of Emery's poor man management.

Anyway, PSG are ready to spend a record fee on Mbappé.
Don't see the point, he won't come anyway.

Is Di Maria on his way out? Have seen some rumors about him being the forward to leave instead of Lucas (maybe they will sell them both?) James Rodríguez being speculated as a potential signing. I'd like that Di Maria-James "swap".

Losing Verratti would be such a blow, but I still like PSG's options in the midfield. Could field a trio of Matuidi-Rabiot-Lo Celso. Too bad Motta is basically a lock to start most games.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think if Lucas finds a club who's willing to pay 30M, he's gone.
Di Maria is more problematic : can they replace him?
James on the left and Di Maria on the right isn't quite bad.

Motta signing an extension is an awful choice.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hope that's a mis-report. Hoffenheim would make a lot more sense as the next step for Gnabry. Kid's a beast, but he still needs some polish before being Bayern ready.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Hope that's a mis-report. Hoffenheim would make a lot more sense as the next step for Gnabry. Kid's a beast, but he still needs some polish before being Bayern ready.

It's not. Bayern confirmed it. The way they funded his transfer to Bremen for a year of development and the chance to buy him dirt cheap a year later still feels wrong to me. Arsenal would have surely gotten more money if Bayern were asking directly. Just a roundabout way of buying and loaning out a player, only designed to pay as little money as possible.

Anyway, he's a very good player, but I don't know how he'll fit in with Bayern.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's not. Bayern confirmed it. The way they funded his transfer to Bremen for a year of development and the chance to buy him dirt cheap a year later still feels wrong to me. Arsenal would have surely gotten more money if Bayern were asking directly. Just a roundabout way of buying and loaning out a player, only designed to pay as little money as possible.

Anyway, he's a very good player, but I don't know how he'll fit in with Bayern.

Lewandowski - Sanchez/Mueller
Gnabry/Brandt - Veratti - Vidal - Robben/Coman
Kimmich
Alaba/Javi - Boateng - Hummels
Neuer​

or

Lewandowski
Sanchez - Mueller
Neuer​

boom

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I meant the source. :laugh:

Oh I knew what you were saying, I was commenting on Morata himself, just quoting you since your post was the first reference.

If I'm paying 70m for a striker I want either a current top 7-8 player in his prime or a young player who has the potential to be top 5.

Morata clearly isn't at that level now and I just don't see him having that type of potential. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a good player, but I think it's like 20-25m overpayment.

As far as style of player, I think a little too much is made of not having an Ibra style physically dominating presence. Mourinho adapted the style when Ibra wasn't playing, and the midfield got involved more in faster buildup. Obviously when you lose a guy with the quality of Ibra, you're going to struggle to replace the goals, but morata and rashford can be a good attack and I think Mkhi will be activated more and Pogba will have a little more freedom to get forward. At least I hope.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Lewandowski - Sanchez/Mueller
Kimmich
Neuer​

or

Lewandowski
Sanchez - Mueller
Neuer​

boom

Umm, Thiago?

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Please Wenger? He's what we need.

But but it would block Maitland-Niles progress to the first team....

As for Gnabry he leaves Arsenal because of playing time. Now goes to Bayern where he would probably get the same playing time as he would if he stayed at Arsenal....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->