2017 Summer Friendlies

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Sturridge scored a chip shot and injured himself in the process. Because of course.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Rafinha is not good enough to be playing for Bayern.

I don't think that's completely true.

They're being asked to do one thing in this side, but I think both can do other things.

Salah and Mane are better passers than they get credit, and their shooting is underrated.

Speed is their most obvious quality, but they're going to do much more in this side.

That was probably harsh on Mane, but in Salah's case his approach is usually to run at defenders and knock the ball past them. Maybe he'll do more but that's just what he's shown.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Rafinha is not good enough to be playing for Bayern.

That was probably harsh on Mane, but in Salah's case his approach is usually to run at defenders and knock the ball past them. Maybe he'll do more but that's just what he's shown.

Maybe.

I think he can do more. He's not really here to do that, but he can distribute if need be. I think we'll find pretty quickly he can do a lot more skills than expected. That's partially why I'm excited. They have the speed, but they're also able to break down players.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Sturridge scored a chip shot and injured himself in the process. Because of course.

He said he's trained a lot and just had a tight muscle, then said he was fine.

If he can play and is in good form he'll have a good season, it feels like. It's really too bad that such a talented player can do something great and immediately get hurt.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Everyone talking about Mane, Salah and Sturridge...Firmino was the man of the match yesterday pretty easily. He had Bayern's defensive shape completely out of whack and they had no idea how to track his movement, or how to deal with his pressing. He might only score 10-15 goals this season (though I think he can score more) but he's going to facilitate a huge number of goals because of the way he moves and thinks the game. Absolute gem of a player.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Everyone talking about Mane, Salah and Sturridge...Firmino was the man of the match yesterday pretty easily. He had Bayern's defensive shape completely out of whack and they had no idea how to track his movement, or how to deal with his pressing. He might only score 10-15 goals this season (though I think he can score more) but he's going to facilitate a huge number of goals because of the way he moves and thinks the game. Absolute gem of a player.

He really is always going to be underrated because he's not being asked to put in the goals.

The interchange with the forwards and midfielders is going to be difficult for a lot of sides to handle.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Moreno did, but it might be too little, too late. Maybe it helps his value.

Grujic has had two great preseasons. He just needs to stay healthy and improve. It's a long way for him, but he has a lot of the tools they can use.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
733ef9509ce76093b6ae9579cd3c80ee.png

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Milner once again showing he's not a left back, keeping a player onside when he shouldn't have. Robertson needs to take this position.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Meh...Gomez and Klavan got caught ball watching also. Ward made a fantastic save and they should have cleared it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If Bayern take Rafinha into the season as a starter and show any of the lack of service they did in these two games, their season definitely does start this weekend.

Meh...Gomez and Klavan got caught ball watching also. Ward made a fantastic save and they should have cleared it.

That was bad too, but I'm more worried about players who will actually play a big part and neither of them will.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Bayern will be fine.

Robertson will take over the starting leftback position sooner than later...though maybe Moreno will be given a shot...though we've been down that road a few times.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
If Bayern take Rafinha into the season as a starter and show any of the lack of service they did in these two games, their season definitely does start this weekend.

Rafinha is nothing but a backup to Kimmich. Not an ideal one at this point, obviously, and given Kimmich's rather recent end to his offseason given the time off after the confed cup, he might play against Dortmund. That said, that SuperCup really isn't seen as much more than a preseason friendly in Germany.

Well their season doesn't start until 7 months from now.
In a way, that's true. There's a classic quote around Bayern on "the best preseason in club history", which lead to a disastrous season. That said, the form, agility, tactical approach we've seen in most of our preseason games has been worrisome.

A convincing win against Leverkusen on match day 1 would obviously wipe all that away, but I wonder if Thomas Tuchel isn't sitting at home and starting to think about a scenario to end his sabbatical early.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't believe in the loan system, but Ejaria should be loaned because he's good enough to play yet not good enough to play here yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad