2017 Re-draft #1 Overall

2017 Re-Draft: Who do you take at number 1?

• Nolan Patrick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Owen Tippett

• Cody Glass

• Martin Necas

• Robert Thomas

• Jesper Boqvist

• Morgan Frost

• Michael Rasmussen

• Cal Foote

• Erik Brannstrom

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
132 points in 139 games at 21 years old. Those 7 extra points/.05 points per game really make or break the argument. These board are a sad place some times.

I still feel Heiskanen ends up the best of the bunch. 33 points in 82 followed by 35 in 68 while going point per game in an SCF run and playing all the top matchups the entire way to the Finals. Victor Hedman had 20 in 74, 26 in 79, 23 in 61 and 20 in 44 his first four seasons and I don’t recall him taking the kind of assignments Miro did these playoffs and handling them as well until he was 5+ years in the league.

At 21 Hedman had 69 points in 214 games. Heiskanen has 68 in 150. The kid is going to be the best defenseman in the NHL.

Reactions: Stealth JD

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
What argument has Petterrson over Heiskanen? Heiskanen is closer to best Dman in the league than Pettersson is to best center in the league.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
132 points in 139 games at 21 years old. Those 7 extra points/.05 points per game really make or break the argument. These board are a sad place some times.

I still feel Heiskanen ends up the best of the bunch. 33 points in 82 followed by 35 in 68 while going point per game in an SCF run and playing all the top matchups the entire way to the Finals. Victor Hedman had 20 in 74, 26 in 79, 23 in 61 and 20 in 44 his first four seasons and I don’t recall him taking the kind of assignments Miro did these playoffs and handling them as well until he was 5+ years in the league.

At 21 Hedman had 69 points in 214 games. Heiskanen has 68 in 150. The kid is going to be the best defenseman in the NHL.

Heiskanen is definitely ahead of where Hedman was at the same age.

I don’t really see the comparison between Hedman and Heiskanen though. In terms of skating, Hedman is good, but Heiskanen is on another level in that regard.

Hedman’s kind of a unicorn because of his size. At 6’6, 230 there are just some things he can do that other defenceman can’t because of his reach and strength.

If Heiskanen ups his production though he could certainly be in the mix for the top defenceman at some point. I’ve always like the Niedermayer comps for Heiskanen. A lot of similarities in their game.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Heiskanen is like Sergei Zubov, one of the most underrated beasts in NHL history IMO.

Heiskanen, Dahlin, Jones, Makar, Hughes, Chabot, McAvoy, Werenski, Theodore, Provorov, Ekblad, Fox

This wave of new young D talent is quite good

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Heiskanen is definitely ahead of where Hedman was at the same age.

I don’t really see the comparison between Hedman and Heiskanen though. In terms of skating, Hedman is good, but Heiskanen is on another level in that regard.

Hedman’s kind of a unicorn because of his size. At 6’6, 230 there are just some things he can do that other defenceman can’t because of his reach and strength.

If Heiskanen ups his production though he could certainly be in the mix for the top defenceman at some point. I’ve always like the Niedermayer comps for Heiskanen. A lot of similarities in their game.

I think he plays a lot like Hedman just obviously in a more compact frame. But honestly, I don’t think Hedman and Neids games are too dissimilar aside from the frame. Obviously Hedman being the size he is brings more physicality, and despite not being as good a skater as those two, his length and reach allow him to close gaps as quickly. I think that’s part of the reason I’m reminded of him. They play similar positionally and Hedman makes recoveries and takes away space by combining good skating with 6’6 reach while Heiskanen does it combining elite skating with 6’2 reach. Mostly I just see him following Hedman as the next best all around D.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think he plays a lot like Hedman just obviously in a more compact frame. But honestly, I don’t think Hedman and Neids games are too dissimilar aside from the frame. Obviously Hedman being the size he is brings more physicality, and despite not being as good a skater as those two, his length and reach allow him to close gaps as quickly. I think that’s part of the reason I’m reminded of him. They play similar positionally and Hedman makes recoveries and takes away space by combining good skating with 6’6 reach while Heiskanen does it combining elite skating with 6’2 reach. Mostly I just see him following Hedman as the next best all around D.

Gotcha. Yeah, I could see the similarity in terms of taking away space at the blue line. I think they have different skill sets, but I understand what your talking about in that regard. Certainly the big time upside is there.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
What argument has Petterrson over Heiskanen? Heiskanen is closer to best Dman in the league than Pettersson is to best center in the league.

Pettersson is also closer to the best defenseman in the league (Hedman) than Heiskanen is to the best center in the league (McDavid) so why does that matter? Pettersson was also quite clearly better in the regular season this year. Heiskanen had a fantastic playoffs but Pettersson was quite good himself.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Pettersson is also closer to the best defenseman in the league (Hedman) than Heiskanen is to the best center in the league (McDavid) so why does that matter? Pettersson was also quite clearly better in the regular season this year. Heiskanen had a fantastic playoffs but Pettersson was quite good himself.

I’m fine with Petterson being ranked one because of his upside, but was he better than Makar this season?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I’m fine with Petterson being ranked one because of his upside, but was he better than Makar this season?

I think he was, yes. His RAPM and relative numbers all point to him having a greater impact on his team and GF%. Pettersson was clearly more impactful than Hughes this year on the same team imo, and while I thought Makar had a better year than Hughes, it wasn't by that much. Part of that is I think centers have a greater impact than defensmen in general though.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think he was, yes. His RAPM and relative numbers all point to him having a greater impact on his team and GF%. Pettersson was clearly more impactful than Hughes this year on the same team imo, and while I thought Makar had a better year than Hughes, it wasn't by that much. Part of that is I think centers have a greater impact than defensmen in general though.

Relative numbers skew towards players on worse teams. I personally think Makar’s production as a defenceman was more impressive than Petterson’s as a forward. I believe Petterson was 25th among forwards in PPG, while Makar was 3rd among defenceman.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Relative numbers skew towards players on worse teams. I personally think Makar’s production as a defenceman was more impressive than Petterson’s as a forward. I believe Petterson was 25th among forwards in PPG, while Makar was 3rd among defenceman.

They do, but Pettersson's numbers are really good in raw terms as well. The Canucks had a better CF/60 and CA/60 with Pettersson on the ice than the Avs with Makar, a better GF/60, the same GA/60, a better xGF% and a better HDCF%. This despite the Avs being one of the best 5v5 teams this year and the Canucks being middle of the pack and terrible without Pettersson on the ice. I don't put a lot of stock in comparing forward to defenseman rankings in terms of PPG, since the number of elite offensive defensemen is far fewer and even the best offensive defensemen can't have the same impact offensively as the best forwards. MacKinnon was 5th in PPG among forwards this year, but I wouldn't say Makar was on the same level as him despite the fact that both were top 5 at their positions, because the best forwards just do so much more offensively. And even if we want to say Makar was better offensively at his position, I would say Pettersson was better defensively at his.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
They do, but Pettersson's numbers are really good in raw terms as well. I don't put a lot of stock in comparing forward to defenseman rankings, since the number of elite offensive defensemen is far fewer and even the best offensive defensemen can'thave the same impact offensively as the best forwards. MacKinnon was 5th in PPG among forward this year but I wouldn't say Makar was on the same level as him because they were both top 5 at his position. And even if we want to say Makar was better offensively at his position, I would say Pettersson was better defensively at his.

I agree to an extent, but an elite defenceman in terms of production/play driving brings a great deal of value when contrasted to the replacement level defenceman going in his place.

I probably only saw 15-20 games from Pettersson this year, so I can’t give a firm judgement on the value he brings to the defensive side/faceoff circle, that kind of thing. So, I’ll defer to your judgement there.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I agree to an extent, but an elite defenceman in terms of production/play driving brings a great deal of value when contrasted to the replacement level defenceman going in his place.

I probably only saw 15-20 games from Pettersson this year, so I can’t give a firm judgement on the value he brings to the defensive side/faceoff circle, that kind of thing.

There's value in the rarity of players like Makar, I agree, but at the same time I think it's easier to win without an elite offensive defenseman than to win without a number 1 center. I wouldn't fault anyone for taking Makar but I would take Pettersson if I'm starting a team based on just how they played this past season.

As for defense, Pettersson is a bad faceoff man and can get muscled around a bit in the corners at times, but his effort on the backcheck, stick work, anticipation and transition ability out of the zone are elite and his positioning is above average. His impact on the defensive numbers of everyone on the team is great. He's not a Selke level forward by any means, but in terms of top line players who aren't your usual matchup Selke types, he's probably as good as anyone.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
There's value in the rarity of players like Makar, I agree, but at the same time I think it's easier to win without an elite offensive defenseman than to win without a number 1 center. I wouldn't fault anyone for taking Makar but I would take Pettersson if I'm starting a team based on just how they played this past season.

As for defense, Pettersson is a bad faceoff man and can get muscled around a bit in the corners at times, but his effort on the backcheck, stick work, anticipation and transition ability out of the zone are elite and his positioning is above average. His impact on the defensive numbers of everyone on the team is great. He's not a Selke level forward by any means, but in terms of top line players who aren't your usual matchup Selke types, he's probably as good as anyone.

Nice, and in terms of getting out-muscled a bit, that will most likely stop when he adds some weight to his frame. Faceoff ability also tends to get better as a player ages. Crosby was garbage in the faceoff circle his first couple seasons.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Pick your poison between Makar, Heiskanen and Pettersson. Those would be the top 3 in any redraft for sure.

Mar 26, 2010
Had to look at the date this thread was posted. The poll results don’t add up. Yeah, Pettersson does not go first in any draft.

Easy answer here is Makar. The guy is a weapon.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Nothing to lol at. At the time of the poll, EP was playing like an elite 1C.

Just goes to show how little we actually know after just a couple of seasons. For all we know we re-do this poll again next year and the answer is Heiskanen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad