Prospect Info: 2017 Ranking Final Results

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
K i'll do my current list too with the current rookie NHL'ers included. It's actually pretty close to Pierce

1. Makar
2. JTC
3. Girard
4. Jost
5. Bowers
6. Kerfoot
7. Timmins
8. Kamenev
9. Greer
10. Meloche
11. Bigras
12. Toninato
13. Beaudin
13. Lindholm
14. Smirnov
15. Henry

Reactions: ASmileyFace

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Revised list to include rookies:

1. Makar
2. JTC
3. Girard
4. Jost
5. Timmins
6. Kerfoot
7. Bowers
8. Kamenev
9. Greer
10. Lewis
11. Meloche
12. Toninato
13. Beaudin
13. Lindholm
14. Bigras
15. Shvyrov

Tope 3 have already shown they're potential and can be interchangeable in rank. Jost has been hampered with injuries and dropped in rating. No recognition for Lewis even though he was a final pre-season cut and has averaged nearly 2 points per game in the WHL. Bigras seems to need a reset to get his confidence dropping near the bottom of the list. Shvyrov is a long shot, but has lots of potential he's on the list.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Seeing Meloche get forgotten about is sad. He's still my favorite non-Makar defensive prospect; even with the numbers game in SA forcing him into some ECHL time.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Seeing Meloche get forgotten about is sad. He's still my favorite non-Makar defensive prospect; even with the numbers game in SA forcing him into some ECHL time.

Is it that, or just adding 3 players who might be legitimately better prospects (Girard, Bowers, and Kamenev) along with Kerfoot surpassing expectations? Then Timmins proving last season wasn't a fluke. No doubt the struggles play a part, but I think it is more the additions than Meloche.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I mean it's a little of colomn A and a little of column B, if those new kids weren't added & Kerfoot/Timmins weren't shining Meloche would not be as forgotten. But if he were playing a prominent role for the Rampage he would not be as forgotten either.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I mean it's a little of colomn A and a little of column B, if those new kids weren't added & Kerfoot/Timmins weren't shining Meloche would not be as forgotten. But if he were playing a prominent role for the Rampage he would not be as forgotten either.

He also has to earn that role. I know there are factors to him being in the ECHL right now, but a big part of the transition to pro hockey is finding a way to carve out a role.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Meloche and Bigras are not necessarily forgotten, it's partly due to SA being shared with St. Louis. Difficult to get playing time when the other team needs to play their youth.

Wait until the AVs have their own team and we can see if they're good enough.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think at this point, it is time to call a spade a spade... Bigras will never be a NHLer as an Av. He will likely get traded and get another shot elsewhere, but Bigras is done here.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah it's definitely a combination of both. But I'm also not nearly as high on Meloche as I was 6 months ago, and I wasn't really that high on him to begin with.

He couldn't earn a spot on San Antonio, and he's putting up less then spectacular numbers in the ECHL now as well.

It's looking like his offensive game simply isn't translating to the pro leagues, and if it doesn't, there's not a chance he's anything more then a #4/5 Dman.

As for Bigras, yeah he fell way down my list for a reason. He has no future with the Avs and quite frankly I was left thoroughly unimpressed with him during his time with us this year. A couple nice Defensive plays but absolutely nothing offensively and way more mistakes then good plays Defensively, even as a rookie where the benefit of the doubt can be given a bit, he still struggled.

Bigras should be the poster boy of these boards right now as a reminder that just because a kid looks good in juniors doesn't mean he's going to look as good in the NHL either. Especially with the way some people are talking about Makar/Timmins/Jost/etc. making quality NHL players like Barrie expendable.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Watch Meloche in the ECHL and you'll see he's way too good for that league. The vet problem plus the Blues plus Miro and Bigras getting dumped down there caused the issue. But those things are different than stats.

I agree Meloche is better than the ECHL, but where is the responsibility on the players? They can't skirt it all here.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Watch Meloche in the ECHL and you'll see he's way too good for that league. The vet problem plus the Blues plus Miro and Bigras getting dumped down there caused the issue. But those things are different than stats.

:laugh: Well if he wasn't too good for the league this would be an even bigger problem...

It's funny how quick you always are to blame a players struggles(Or whatever you want to call it) on everything else but the players themselves.

Maybe, just maybe, Meloche isn't as good as you want him to be? If he really were good enough he would have taken a spot away from someone on that San Antonio team. They're deep but they're not that deep.

Reactions: BrickAHL

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think at this point, it is time to call a spade a spade... Bigras will never be a NHLer as an Av. He will likely get traded and get another shot elsewhere, but Bigras is done here.

Agreed. If the team hadn't given up on him they wouldn't have sent him back to the AHL for no real reason. Bigras will have a successful NHL career; but it won't be in colorado.

He also has to earn that role. I know there are factors to him being in the ECHL right now, but a big part of the transition to pro hockey is finding a way to carve out a role.

I dunno what more he can do in the ECHL to earn that role though. He's dominated down there and been good when I've caught him in the A. I'm with you to some extent about the players having to bear some responsibility; but the organization has a responsibility to get the most out of its young talents as well.

Yeah it's definitely a combination of both. But I'm also not nearly as high on Meloche as I was 6 months ago, and I wasn't really that high on him to begin with.

He couldn't earn a spot on San Antonio, and he's putting up less then spectacular numbers in the ECHL now as well.

It's looking like his offensive game simply isn't translating to the pro leagues, and if it doesn't, there's not a chance he's anything more then a #4/5 Dman.

As for Bigras, yeah he fell way down my list for a reason. He has no future with the Avs and quite frankly I was left thoroughly unimpressed with him during his time with us this year. A couple nice Defensive plays but absolutely nothing offensively and way more mistakes then good plays Defensively, even as a rookie where the benefit of the doubt can be given a bit, he still struggled.

Bigras should be the poster boy of these boards right now as a reminder that just because a kid looks good in juniors doesn't mean he's going to look as good in the NHL either. Especially with the way some people are talking about Makar/Timmins/Jost/etc. making quality NHL players like Barrie expendable.

Bigras has looked good in the NHL; he should be a poster boy for the importance of building up young talents' confidence and not letting them feel like no one in the organization cares about their development. That's why Bigras has no future in Colorado, not because he doesn't' have an NHL future.

:laugh: Well if he wasn't too good for the league this would be an even bigger problem...

It's funny how quick you always are to blame a players struggles(Or whatever you want to call it) on everything else but the players themselves.

Maybe, just maybe, Meloche isn't as good as you want him to be? If he really were good enough he would have taken a spot away from someone on that San Antonio team. They're deep but they're not that deep.

Nah, meloche is in the ECHL because this is his first season of pro hockey which makes him the easiest to send down without causing friction.

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Agreed. If the team hadn't given up on him they wouldn't have sent him back to the AHL for no real reason. Bigras will have a successful NHL career; but it won't be in colorado.

I dunno what more he can do in the ECHL to earn that role though. He's dominated down there and been good when I've caught him in the A. I'm with you to some extent about the players having to bear some responsibility; but the organization has a responsibility to get the most out of its young talents as well.

Bigras has looked good in the NHL; he should be a poster boy for the importance of building up young talents' confidence and not letting them feel like no one in the organization cares about their development. That's why Bigras has no future in Colorado, not because he doesn't' have an NHL future.

Nah, meloche is in the ECHL because this is his first season of pro hockey which makes him the easiest to send down without causing friction.
I'm not convinced Bigras will be an NHL player. He doesn't provide any offense at this level, and in both of his NHL stints has been consistently crushed in the defensive zone, bleeding shots against. He was getting sheltered easy minutes this year and still was getting smoked. He reminds me a lot of Gormley. A good prospect who just can't put it together.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

He's looked okay in the AHL, not good IMO. There are circumstances around that, but it isn't like he wasn't given a chances in the AHL either. He is a young kid and has to learn how to gain a coach's trust. It is a part of the process. I don't think the group of defensemen down there are so high quality that he shouldn't be able to take a bigger role... that is on him to do that and I believe there should be healthy competition for those spots. I really don't believe in just giving a prospect a spot without earning it. Meloche shouldn't be given an AHL top pairing role just because he is Meloche. It should be earned.

Meloche can get ice time and be a high impact player in all zones in the ECHL to earn that call up. I've seen 3 of his games live down there... you can see his talent level and that he is a good player, but he isn't dominate either. Out of the 3 games I've seen. He had one utterly dominate game and 2 average to above average. He can learn at this level, it isn't hurting him to play in the ECHL.

I'm probably one of the people who hates the split situation the most in SA... I've hated it since day 1. But way too much shade is being thrown in that direction and on the staff down there. They play kids in important roles, but only the kids that have earned it. Thompson, Blais, Jost, Kamenev,Mironov, Schmaltz, Greer, and even Toninato have played important roles on that team when there and healthy. Just because some favorites (even of mine) are not getting the prime time doesn't mean the staff isn't playing the right players.

Reactions: motojime

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm perfectly happy for that staff to replace Bednar and co when the time comes, so don't mistake me for part of the crowd that's blaming Veilleux for everything. But there's too many bodies in Meloche's way that he can beat out, but who are more painful (w/ regards to the lockerroom atmosphere) to send down; especially since Woody & andrei got sent down. Come seasons end I still expect Meloche to have secured his spot in the AHL lineup; but I don't think it would've done his development any harm for a cat like Graham to not have been signed and for 'loche to be in a more minor AHL role than the one he gets with the eagles.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Mid-season rankings:

1. Makar
2. Girard
3. Compher
4. Jost
5. Timmins
6. Kerfoot
7. Bowers
8. Kamenev
9. Meloche
10. Greer

Last edited:
Reactions: BrickAHL

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
1) Makar
2) Jost
3) Timmins
4) Girard
5) Kerfoot
6) Compher
7) Kamenev
8) Bowers
9) Lewis
10) Meloche
11) Greer
12) Toninato
13) Lindholm
14) Smirnov
15) Shvyryov

I'm sure people won't agree with where I have Timmins or Compher, but meh

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just gunna include everyone who was a prospect at the start of the year regardless of whether they've graduated already:

1) Makar
2) Girard
3) Jost
4) Shvyryov
5) Compher

6) Meloche
7) Timmins
8) Bowers
9) Greer
10) Kerfoot
11) Kamenev

12) Martin
13) Toninato
14) Beaudin
15) Lindholm

Ask me again tomorrow and I might stick Compher behind Meloche & Timmins.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad