2017 OHL U18 Priority Selection Players

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
According to the spreadsheet just 7 of the 96 players signed with their OHL team. How many of the 7 are actually playing in the OHL? Boomhower and Curran are not.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
According to the spreadsheet just 7 of the 96 players signed with their OHL team. How many of the 7 are actually playing in the OHL? Boomhower and Curran are not.

Marko Jakovljevic has been in and out of the line up for the Sting. He's at the bottom of my depth chart for the Sting. Too slow for the OHL in my opinion.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Gotta think the OHL was hoping for the OHL 18U draft having more of an impact than this.....

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
So, does this draft get held again in 2018, or does it go away this year?
Go away.. the good ones can be taken in draft as always anyways the year after their draft year....I know a few guys that scout and they don’t do a whole lot of scouting in major midget maybe a handful of visits through year is all they do to make a bit of a list

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think the U17 results will eventually improve as more players elect to play one more season of midget knowing they will get more ice time and knowing there is a 2nd chance draft specifically targeting those late blooming players.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Yantsis 4 goals 6 assists.

Yantsis was not drafted in this

KIT’s picks were:
1st: Kobe Desmond
2nd: Reece Bolton
3rd: Jackson Norlock
4th: Anthony Tremonte
5th: Ben Addison

And those 5 have combined to play 0 seconds in the OHL

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Bobber: I don't think Yantsis was ever drafted as he signed as a FA.

True. If I remember correctly, the league wanted the Rangers to refrain from signing Yantsis as a free agent when they did so that he could be included in this draft.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Yantsis was not drafted in this

KIT’s picks were:
1st: Kobe Desmond
2nd: Reece Bolton
3rd: Jackson Norlock
4th: Anthony Tremonte
5th: Ben Addison

And those 5 have combined to play 0 seconds in the OHL
Rangers had to battle the league over signing Yantsis because they wanted him in the draft so basically the same thing. Rangers jumped the gun and signed him. Talked to his parents during his first game in KW.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Yantsis played for Kitchener in the 2016-2017 season, well before the U18 draft.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Rangers had to battle the league over signing Yantsis because they wanted him in the draft so basically the same thing. Rangers jumped the gun and signed him. Talked to his parents during his first game in KW.

Your confused with your timeline here. Yantsis played for KIT last year, and the U18 draft wasn't until the following off-season

edit: Sorry just noticed Duke Guy said the same thing

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Yantsis played for Kitchener in the 2016-2017 season, well before the U18 draft.
That was my point. Yantsis would have been in that first draft if the Rangers hadn't jumped in ahead of time and signed him. They knew he was going to be in that draft. The picks mentioned above were the kids drafted by the Rangers but they were proactive taking Yantsis early. The league tried to stop them but they has no legs to stand on. I do see the point that he wasn't in the following draft but would have been if not for the Rangers and still probably had more points than was mentioned by Generalsupdates if drafted by another squad. Six of one half dozen of the other.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
That was my point. Yantsis would have been in that first draft if the Rangers hadn't jumped in ahead of time and signed him. They knew he was going to be in that draft. The picks mentioned above were the kids drafted by the Rangers but they were proactive taking Yantsis early. The league tried to stop them but they has no legs to stand on. I do see the point that he wasn't in the following draft but would have been if not for the Rangers and still probably had more points than was mentioned by Generalsupdates if drafted by another squad. Six of one half dozen of the other.

But he wasn't drafted, so it's really not "6 of one, half dozen of the other" because this is about who was drafted in the U18 draft, not who would've been picked if they weren't already in the OHL.... Lol

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Who are the players who have played from this draft?
EDIT: Sorry I just looked at the spreadsheet...Wow not many have played. That is too bad

Last edited:

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
This draft was only held last year. What do you expect? These are players who went undrafted originally. They are longshots to begin with. OHL is a league for older kids. Revisit this discussion in two years and then it will have merit.

Reactions: flamebird

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Another point on the U18 Draft is that when you look at the number of players selected by OHL teams and compare it to the number actually playing it shows the scouts have done their jobs. The eligible players have really been picked clean and there just aren't many diamonds in the rough.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
That's true but also I think Midget AAA U-18 in Ontario just doesn't have the overall talent to choose from that's going to step into the OHL and make an impact. There still is a lot of kids that don't make the OHL out of their Midget Minor seasons. But anyone that has a shot down the line usually plays Canadian Junior A in leagues like the OJHL, NOJHL, so on and so forth, where they can still play at a competitive level of junior hockey. What the OHL did was take a page out of the USHL's book. The USHL has a phase 1 and phase 2 draft. Phase 1 being for kids in the 2002 birth year this year. Phase 2 is for anyone else that is still junior hockey eligible. They have more success with it because our Midget Major U-18 programs retain some good kids that don't go the CHL route or USHL right away, and we don't have many other great options as far as other junior leagues besides the NAHL. In fact some kids that play U18 in the Tier 1 Elite League (Belle Tire, Victory Honda, LA Jr Kings etc..) are so good that they committ to div.1 colleges straight out of there. That isn't a shot at Ontario U-18 kids, just saying there are more avenues in Ontario for kids that aren't quite OHL ready but good enough to play at a good level of junior and not play another year of Midget. This type of system with a U-18 draft I think doesn't really fit in Ontario.

Reactions: flamebird

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad