Prospect Info: 2017 OHL Prospects Review

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Thanks.
Could you get more into why you rank Gordeev over Middleton? Is it just based on offensive potential?

Offensive potential to a certain degree, but more has to do with his skating advantage over Middleton.

Offensively right now, I think that they are relatively equal players in terms of ability. Gordeev has a big point shot but hasn't quite figured out how to use it yet. Middleton has some decent vision as a passer, but he's never developed the confidence (or the skating ability) to become a good puck rusher.

But in terms of projecting them as a pro, I think Gordeev could project a tad bit better because he's very agile for a big man. His defensive IQ isn't as good as Middleton's right now, but that's not to say that it couldn't get there.

Two prospects who are very close, but Gordeev gets the slight edge because I think I see his game translating a bit better to the pro level eventually.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Offensive potential to a certain degree, but more has to do with his skating advantage over Middleton.

Offensively right now, I think that they are relatively equal players in terms of ability. Gordeev has a big point shot but hasn't quite figured out how to use it yet. Middleton has some decent vision as a passer, but he's never developed the confidence (or the skating ability) to become a good puck rusher.

But in terms of projecting them as a pro, I think Gordeev could project a tad bit better because he's very agile for a big man. His defensive IQ isn't as good as Middleton's right now, but that's not to say that it couldn't get there.

Two prospects who are very close, but Gordeev gets the slight edge because I think I see his game translating a bit better to the pro level eventually.
That's fair. I see it a bit differently as I think Middleton's defensive iq as the more important apect. I also feel that his skating is good for a big man coupled with his iq gves him tremendous spacing and timing.
Other than that I do agree with your assessment of their relative skills and that sid if Gordeev hits on all his skill and Middleton does too, the nod would have to go to Gordeev.
That said Middleton look like he has the better chance to be a nhl player be it a 6 or 7 whereas Gordeev has a slightly steeper hill to climb but yes, very close.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I am thinking Nicolas Mattinen and Keaton Middleton may be going into the 2018 draft.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Nice write up. I've come to respect and enjoy Middleton's game. It would be amazing if he could tweak that offensive game and put regular points up this year. Can't argue with his character and his defensive game. If he keeps the mobility improving you would think he'll get a decent look at the AHL level.

Gordeev is interesting because skating is so important but as Marincin has shown the Leafs it's not everything. Defensive acumen is still critical to making it.

Rasanen. He will need a Middleton-like skating improvement to be considered anything other than a wasted pick in my mind. Mobility is an absolute necessity.

You mention Gordeev going back to Flint but I thought he was traded to Hamilton?

Last edited:

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Nice write up. I've come to respect and enjoy Middleton's game. It would be amazing if he could tweak that offensive game and put regular points up this year. Can't argue with his character and his defensive game. If he keeps the mobility improving you would think he'll get a decent look at the AHL level.

Gordeev is interesting because skating is so important but as Marincin has shown the Leafs it's not everything. Defensive acumen is still critical to making it.

Rasanen. He will need a Middleton-like skating improvement to be considered anything other than a wasted pick in my mind. Mobility is an absolute necessity.

You mention Gordeev going back to Flint but I thought he was traded to Hamilton?

He was drafted and traded from Hamilton to Flint. You heard he got traded back??

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
Thanks Brock... this is the sort of rational analysis that's getting harder and harder to find these days.

Personally... I have high hopes for Keaton Middleton... even though he was basically treated like garbage on this board following last year's draft. Indications were that he was one of the pleasant surprises at the Leafs' recent development camp.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Huh? This isn't exactly consistent. How can being a bad skater be ok for one guy and not another?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: