Speculation: 2017 Offseason Roster Discussion 3 - Langkow for a 1st Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Pretty confident that Hickey is going to pull a Jimmy Vesey. Personally, I was glad that Nashville went to the Cup finals while Vesey's team got bounced in the 2nd round.

I think they should remove the UFA status for NCAA players to make it 27 years old.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Have to be careful with the AHL experience rule, only 5 guys with 260 pro games can play each night.
I would like to see them sign some primo AHL guys that can be good callups if necessary like Purcell, Grigorenko, Pirri, Desharnais etc... Tucson needs some help up front.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
If he signs I'd imagine he plays in Tucson and maybe even competes for a 7th NHL dman spot with KConn. Iirc if he doesn't sign and plays one more year in college he's a FA, so he may go that route too.

So probably he will go to college for one more year to finish his program but if he is any good, it would be nice to get him signed. Some reports seem pretty positive about his skill set. I guess the one good sign is he showed up to development camp so he must have some interest in signing.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
So probably he will go to college for one more year to finish his program but if he is any good, it would be nice to get him signed. Some reports seem pretty positive about his skill set. I guess the one good sign is he showed up to development camp so he must have some interest in signing.
Yup since he had to pay his own way it's a positive sign. He looked pretty good, he handled some dangerous offensive opportunities easily.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Chayka might be able to dangle the "burn a year off your ELC" carrot to entice Hickey.

Edit: It appears Hickey did attend the Flames last development camp so let's hope that ELC carrot (and the team's outlook) looks enticing.

Last edited:

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Murray's fine as depth if cheap and/or on a two-way. Last I looked we had like five dmen under contract for the AHL squad, and that was counting Wood who apparently may be with the big club. I wouldn't mind adding him at all for Tucson and allow him an outside chance to earn a call up.
If that's our NHL defenseman, then yes, I'd pass, but as depth and AHL help, I'd be pretty happy.

Michalek is still around locally. I suspect he will be on the RR's again next year, mentoring the the youth, not in Europe.

ScottsdaleYote

May 29, 2011
Looks like Martinook is filing for arbitration. Anyone want to peg his value? I think Cousins' 2 yr 1 mil AAV is actually a pretty good comparison. Martinook is 1 yr older, has more experience, produced slightly better (0.30 pts/gm vs. 0.25) but has a worse +/- and Cousins might be able to play C.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Looks like Martinook is filing for arbitration. Anyone want to peg his value? I think Cousins' 2 yr 1 mil AAV is actually a pretty good comparison. Martinook is 1 yr older, has more experience, produced slightly better (0.30 pts/gm vs. 0.25) but has a worse +/- and Cousins might be able to play C.

Well, his AAV went down on his second contract, so I imagine it should probably go up a decent amount this time.

2 years, 1.35 million per? It's not like we have cap issues, so whatever arbitration yields, I would most likely be fine with; if it's too much for the team, move him. Honestly, we should probably move Rieder or Martinook anyway, and Rieder is a better player in my mind.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

He's worth more I think.

Martinook plays significantly more minutes and does so against higher end talent more often.

Martinook actually has more career time played at C than Cousins even though I think Martinook is not very good at it.

Rieder is a closer comp just looking at the Coyotes. Martinook scores less so he'll get a bit less. 1.8-2m. Maybe 1.6 but I'd lean toward a little more given the minutes he plays compared to most in his position.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
He's worth more I think.

Martinook plays significantly more minutes and does so against higher end talent more often.

Martinook actually has more career time played at C than Cousins even though I think Martinook is not very good at it.

Rieder is a closer comp just looking at the Coyotes. Martinook scores less so he'll get a bit less. 1.8-2m. Maybe 1.6 but I'd lean toward a little more given the minutes he plays compared to most in his position.

Well said 1.6-2 mill for Martinook. He much better and has more value then Cousins.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Can anyone give me a quick overview on the potential and expectations for...

Christian Dvorak
Christian Fischer
Marek Langhamer

?? thanks!

Dvorak - 2nd line 200 foot C
Fischer - top 6 winger
Langhammer - goalies are hard to project but I'm calling backup at this point.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Can anyone give me a quick overview on the potential and expectations for...

Christian Dvorak
Christian Fischer
Marek Langhamer

?? thanks!

Dvorak - 55-60 point 2C
Fischer - middle six power winger - maybe a consistent 20/20 guy
Langhamer - backup NHL goaltender/AHL starter

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'd go about 1.5 for Martinook. That may be a touch too low but we have way too many LWers to be overpaying fourth liners. We shouldn't be doing that anyway. Remember when Don gave 4 years to Korpi?

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I'd go about 1.5 for Martinook. That may be a touch too low but we have way too many LWers to be overpaying fourth liners. We shouldn't be doing that anyway. Remember when Don gave 4 years to Korpi?

Exactly. At the end of the day Martinook is just a bottom six player. Easily replaceable. We technically could already replace him with what we have.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't really want to replace him because we already need another veteran forward or two, imo. Korpikoski @2.5x4 isn't really a good comparable to Martinook at 1.8x3 or so. If Martinook falls off a cliff (which he could pointswise, I'd assume. From a usage standpoint alone he's unlikely to get as many minutes), then 1.8 isn't killing you to rotate him in or out for a year or two. He was one of the few players that actually hustled the entire season last year. I'm not too worried about him becoming a passenger.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
If he actually hits the arbitration process it will only be 1 year anyway. If they avoid it I don't expect more than 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->