Speculation: 2017 Offseason Roster Discussion 3 - Langkow for a 1st Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
What's he worth? 3.5? 4? more? Here he can play a lot of minutes and rack up points so I don't think other teams will look at him quite as favorably as we will. He still does well in per minute metrics so it's not all garbage time scoring but most teams have at least a couple wingers who would be ahead of him. No sense bidding against yourself if you're the Coyotes.

I also wonder if a sticking point could be the Coyotes wanting another bonus type contract but Vrby wanting straight cash.

I think Vrbata is worth about a one year $3.0-3.5m contract based on last season. He redeemed himself last year with Arizona after a bad season in Vancouver. No reason for him to accept a bonus laden contract unless the bonuses are easily reached and it makes sense for him.

The biggest question imo for Vrbata in FA is if a team might be willing to do a two year deal.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
So we still need a forward that can score points now that Vrbata is elsewhere. Pickings are slim, so we may have to "settle":
Radulov (L)
Grenier (R)
Chiasson (R)
Yakupov (L)
P. Thompson (R)
Stafford (R)
Purcell (R)
Rendulic (R)
Hemsky (R)
Vanek (R)
Parenteau (R)
Not sure if any are already signed yet, but I did browse through the NHL & TSN free agent trackers

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
No thanks.

We have a full roster if you put Keller and Strome in the lineup.

We all know they're going to earn a spot, I'm not convinced that we should bring in training camp competition guys.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
So we still need a forward that can score points now that Vrbata is elsewhere. Pickings are slim, so we may have to "settle":
Radulov (L)
Grenier (R)
Chiasson (R)
Yakupov (L)
P. Thompson (R)
Stafford (R)
Purcell (R)
Rendulic (R)
Hemsky (R)
Vanek (R)
Parenteau (R)
Not sure if any are already signed yet, but I did browse through the NHL & TSN free agent trackers
Chayka hasn't proven to be the settling type. Trade may be better way of adding to the roster.....lots of time before camp.

Last edited:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
No thanks.

We have a full roster if you put Keller and Strome in the lineup.

We all know they're going to earn a spot, I'm not convinced that we should bring in training camp competition guys.

Actually, I have a feeling one or both will spend more time in Tucson than with the Coyotes this season. My guess is that Keller will mainly be in Tucson (with a few call-ups) and Strome will spend around 40% of the season with the Coyotes. Of course, most of my guesses are way off, but it would still be nice to have a few more solid players, since I doubt Keller or Strome would score 50+ points even if they spent the whole season on the Coyotes roster. We also have to expect injuries, so we need a few more bodies.

I guess we could take a shot on Tynan or Bailey as well (and move them to RW). Of course trades would probably be a better option.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Well, Roadrunners just got very deep on LD but still thin on RD and C, even if Strome is left to slow roast...

Domi-22 Stepan-27(R) Duclair-21(L)
Perlini-21 Dvorak-21 Rieder-24(L)
Keller-18 Richardson-32 Fischer-20
Martinook-24 Cousins-23 McGinn-28(L)

Crouse-20 Strome-20 Kempe-28
Bunting-21 Gaudet-24 Sislo-29
Looke-20(R) MacInnis-21 Merkley-20
Rinaldo-27 Garland-21

Ekman-Larsson-25 Hjalmarsson-30(L)
Goligoski-31 Schenn-27
Chychrun-19 Clendening-24
Connauton-27

Campbell-29 Wood-21
Hanley-26 Mayo-20
Capobianco-20
Mermis-23
Smereck-20

Raanta-28
Domingue-25(R)

Langhamer-22
Hill-21
Miska-20

Have either of the new AHL D played the right? (edit: And what's Pederson's status? He looked like he could help as a depth C but no idea if he's going pro yet...)

Last edited:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Anyone know why Rinaldo seems to have missed a year? I also imagine a lot of his jam from his early years is gone.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Campbell-29 Wood-21
Hanley-26 Mayo-20
Capobianco-20
Mermis-23
Smereck-20

Have either of the new AHL D played the right? (edit: And what's Pederson's status? He looked like he could help as a depth C but no idea if he's going pro yet...)

They will probably a.) stop caring about handedness in an effort to get guys comfortable with switching and b.) loan Mayo and Mermis out to clear room for Smereck and Capobianco (as well as KEL).

Strome is going to make the team, so Tucson's center depth is kind of garbage, even with Pederson. Shame Mueller signed elsewhere.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It all comes down to Keller, Strome, Crouse, and Fischer and which of the four gets sent down:

Domi-Stepan-Duclair
Perlini-Dvorak-Keller
Crouse-Strome-Rieder
Nook-Richardson-McGinn
Cousins
= Fischer down

Domi-Stepan-Duclair
Perlini-Dvorak-Keller
Nook-Strome-Rieder
McGinn-Richy-Fischer
Cousins
=Crouse down

Domi-Stepan-Duclair
Perlini-Dvorak-Rieder
Crouse-Strome-Fischer
Nook-Richardson-McGinn
Cousins
=Keller down

Domi-Stepan-Duclair
Perlini-Dvorak-Keller
Crouse-Martinook-Rieder
McGinn-Richardson-Fischer
Cousins
=Strome down

Which is all well and good. The only trouble comes in if two of the four aren't really ready. Or three of the four. Especially if Richardson isn't ready. And/or someone else ends up injured. We need some depth. We need a reason to push some kids down for development time and have ready made, logical callups.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I get the impression nobody is going down and guys like Martinook and Rieder are on the chopping block if it comes to that.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I would like to see them sign some primo AHL guys that can be good callups if necessary like Purcell, Grigorenko, Pirri, Desharnais etc... Tucson needs some help up front.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I get the impression nobody is going down and guys like Martinook and Rieder are on the chopping block if it comes to that.

That's how I see it as well. Not sure if I would use the works chopping block, but I would say trade bait. As usual, training camp will dictate where these kids play.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
That's how I see it as well. Not sure if I would use the works chopping block, but I would say trade bait. As usual, training camp will dictate where these kids play.

Reider and Martinook are locks to make the team out of camp. They are both solid on D and can PK, also Reider gets plenty of scoring chances. The kids won't displace either but I could see one of them in a trade package.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
what are the teams plans for Brandon Hickey and is he good enough to play in the NHL?

If he signs I'd imagine he plays in Tucson and maybe even competes for a 7th NHL dman spot with KConn. Iirc if he doesn't sign and plays one more year in college he's a FA, so he may go that route too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->