Speculation: 2017 off-season talk thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
If you were the GM for Colorado, would you trade a 21 year old MacKinnon for that?

It would have to include a Jones, Werenski, and/or PLD to make that kind of trade.

No idea who you are but you are only looking at this from the Colorado point of view. Even 10 seconds looking at it from the CBJ side and you realize that this makes no sense from the CBJ side.

It's another one of our board fantasies, so whatever. But I'd appreciate it if you are going to try and post "what makes sense" from the Avs side you pay the same respect to the CBJ side.

PLD isn't really a discussion (young C for a young C that could very well bomb)? We traded Johansen for Jones, you honestly think they are just going to flip him for McKinnon? Werenski could very well be the most untouchable player in CBJ history, not happening.

Good day.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
No idea who you are but you are only looking at this from the Colorado point of view. Even 10 seconds looking at it from the CBJ side and you realize that this makes no sense from the CBJ side.

It's another one of our board fantasies, so whatever. But I'd appreciate it if you are going to try and post "what makes sense" from the Avs side you pay the same respect to the CBJ side.

PLD isn't really a discussion (young C for a young C that could very well bomb)? We traded Johansen for Jones, you honestly think they are just going to flip him for McKinnon? Werenski could very well be the most untouchable player in CBJ history, not happening.

Good day.

It makes perfect sense to me that CBJ would not be interested at that price. I would not advocate for the trade from either team's perspective.

I raised the point in respectful manner, and the last time I checked it is not a poster responsibility to present the perspective of every team involved in a discussion.

If my post somehow caused you to be offended, I certainly would apologize for any perceived slight.

In all honesty, however, I cannot imagine how you could possibly be offended by my post.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
It makes perfect sense to me that CBJ would not be interested at that price. I would not advocate for the trade from either team's perspective.

LOL. Yes, you would. You would be getting two of the best young defensemen in the NHL (and our top prospect). No team would offer that and no team would turn that down.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Ok, whatever.

This is going in a bizarre direction IMO. I leave well enough alone.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
So, you wouldn't take 2 of the best young defensemen in the NHL and our top prospect?

I'll post one more time to clarify and then I will be on my way.

I think the confusion may have come from the way that I wrote my post in which I added the conjunctive/disjunctive at the end. It may have been a lack of precision in my writing. In any event, I was not suggesting that the Avs would request both Jones and Werenski in a trade for MacKinnon. My point was that Colorado would certainly ask for one of them and perhaps PLD. I think that would be too rich for CBJ and I think CBJ would likely turn down a trade of even one of Jones or Werenski for MacKinnon. I am not sure that the Avs would consider a trade for either Jones or Werenski in any event, just because they seem wedded to the idea of MacKinnon being the central point of their rebuild.

Hopefully that will clear things up.

Best.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'll post one more time to clarify and then I will be on my way.

I think the confusion may have come from the way that I wrote my post in which I added the conjunctive/disjunctive at the end. It may have been a lack of precision in my writing. In any event, I was not suggesting that the Avs would request both Jones and Werenski in a trade for MacKinnon. My point was that Colorado would certainly ask for one of them and perhaps PLD. I think that would be too rich for CBJ and I think CBJ would likely turn down a trade of even one of Jones or Werenski for MacKinnon. I am not sure that the Avs would consider a trade for either Jones or Werenski in any event, just because they seem wedded to the idea of MacKinnon being the central point of their rebuild.

Hopefully that will clear things up.

Best.

That makes more sense. Thank you.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Elliotte Friedman‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC now54 seconds ago

Cap range will go from $55.4M to a ceiling of $75M for next season

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
In all honesty, however, I cannot imagine how you could possibly be offended by my post.

I can't imagine how you would even think I was offended. It actually is possible to be in disagreement with someone and NOT be offended by what was said.

Back to the original point, if you want to say what you think one team won't do take the time to put yourself in the position of the other team. You could have simply added "and the CBJ won't go for that either".

Easy.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
So since you're the smartest on the board can you or someone else tell me how much cap space you think we will have assuming that Clarkson, Calvert and 950,000 (prospect) are going away via expansion.

Honestly just too lazy and I feel like someone already has it all calculated out.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
So since you're the smartest on the board can you or someone else tell me how much cap space you think we will have assuming that Clarkson, Calvert and 950,000 (prospect) are going away via expansion.

Honestly just too lazy and I feel like someone already has it all calculated out.

I am not smart but according to Mark Sheig said we have just over 4 million in space now with the inflation. Add Clarkson's cap hit (5.25 million), Calvert's (2.2M), that would give us around 11.5 million (give or take some more). Then add +3.25 mill if we buyout Hartnell. So, yeah we have alot if we unload Clarkson alone, let alone Hartnell too.

If they take Karlsson instead of Calvert, but we still unload Clarkson, we will have around 10 million in space.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I am not smart but according to Mark Sheig said we have just over 4 million in space now with the inflation. Add Clarkson's cap hit (5.25 million), Calvert's (2.2M), that would give us around 11.5 million (give or take some more). Then add +3.25 mill if we buyout Hartnell. So, yeah we have alot if we unload Clarkson alone, let alone Hartnell too.

If they take Karlsson instead of Calvert, but we still unload Clarkson, we will have around 10 million in space.

This is before signing Wennberg and the other guys though, I'm wondering if we will have room for a small cap hit ufa or the ability to take on a lot of cap in a trade.

How much do you anticipate after contracts are negotiated ?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
This is before signing Wennberg and the other guys though, I'm wondering if we will have room for a small cap hit ufa or the ability to take on a lot of cap in a trade.

How much do you anticipate after contracts are negotiated ?

I'm going to anticipate roughly 10 million in space (probably will have slightly more), since speculating Hartnell's buyout is just speculation at this point (Although, so is unloading Clarkson since Porty seems to be all over the place with this issue. But I digress)

I assume Wennberg and Anderson get short term bridge deals, and Gagner walks. I have projected for months that Wenny gets 2 years 3.5 million, so I'll stick with that. So we have, so that takes us down to 6.5 mill. Anderson I will guess takes a 2 year 2 million deal, so that's down to 4.5 million. Which is plenty of room for trades, but not much for UFA's, but that's not an ideal way to spend money anyway. But again these are all guesses. I am not Jarmo :P

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'm going to anticipate roughly 10 million in space (probably will have slightly more), since speculating Hartnell's buyout is just speculation at this point (Although, so is unloading Clarkson since Porty seems to be all over the place with this issue. But I digress)

I assume Wennberg and Anderson get short term bridge deals, and Gagner walks. I have projected for months that Wenny gets 2 years 3.5 million, so I'll stick with that. So we have, so that takes us down to 6.5 mill. Anderson I will guess takes a 2 year 2 million deal, so that's down to 4.5 million. Which is plenty of room for trades, but not much for UFA's, but that's not an ideal way to spend money anyway. But again these are all guesses. I am not Jarmo :P

Plus, if we make a trade, we will likely be trading a player, so more money will come off our cap hit.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Plus, if we make a trade, we will likely be trading a player, so more money will come off our cap hit.

Depends on the players being traded. It would likely even out or add to our cap if it's Murray +

I don't think we'll be trading for any players on ELCs, but I could be wrong.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Depends on the players being traded. It would likely even out or add to our cap if it's Murray +

I don't think we'll be trading for any players on ELCs, but I could be wrong.

You misunderstood what I was saying. Let's say we have $4.5 million in cap space. We can trade for someone worth more than that, because we will likely be trading salary to the other team as well.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

Pushes all the chips to the center of the table, resigns Atkinson and makes a serious play for Oshie or Tavares.

Last edited:

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Pushes all the chips to the center of the table, resigns Atkinson and makes a serious play for Oshie or Tavares.

I'd rather take a stab at offer sheeting Draisaitl than giving Oshie a contract through free agency, or ponying up what it would take to acquire Tavares

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Offer sheet isn't happening. I don't think Oshie would come here either, and would cost too much. I don't think we're in the market for FA, more of a trade type. Hopefully there is more out there than what is being rumored.

As far as pushing the chips all in, I think its far too early for that.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'd loveeeeeeeeeee Draisitl, idc if it sparked a rivalry, I'd offer sheet him if it became a possibility. It's not gonna happen, but I can dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->