Speculation: 2017 Off Season Discussion V - rt calls his shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
anybody interested in seeing DeAngelo in New York blue, the Rangers are playing the Isles right now on NHL Network. He looks fast as ever. One of my favorite players in the NHL right now. That being said, after this offseason, I still make that trade. That will be the first, and only time I admit that.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
anybody interested in seeing DeAngelo in New York blue, the Rangers are playing the Isles right now on NHL Network. He looks fast as ever. One of my favorite players in the NHL right now. That being said, after this offseason, I still make that trade. That will be the first, and only time I admit that.

I'm going to print this post out, put it in a wood frame, and put it on my bedroom wall.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
i think the only thing that would've made me happier is a Domi extension before his current contract is up.

Well, RFA though, right?

I only have a mild passing interest in all the fantasy-GM stuff, but wow if this year's team works out, we're looking pretty good for next year too, yes, looking at CapFriendly? Has that ever been true?

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
5i9cSQl.jpg

wf3D8g2.jpg

Our fearless leader, JC

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Apparently he and Doan had one thing in common, both of them have their tongue out on the ice all the time.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sounds like MTL is burying Galchenyuk again. Quick, let's offer them all of our French stuff for him.

Anthony Duclair, Pierre Olivier Joseph, Conor Garland (at least he's a Q alum?), and the MIN '18 2nd!

Reactions: Lady Macbeth

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Well, post that the off season was terrible enough times and people might start believing you. I disagree. With so many players 22 and younger we needed fresh, solid veterans to guide them through the season's ups and downs. We gave up Murphy. So? He was nothing special. We gave up DeAngelo, a favorite of both fans of underdogs and fans of the alt right. He has great potential, and also great potential to be an absolute off-ice disaster.

What we received in return for the 1st round pick and the above players is truly something good. We got 3 solid citizen veterans. We got a goalie ready to take over the net. We got a 1C. We got a vet stay at home defenseman, who is tight to OEL.

I'd say that this was the best off season in years.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Galchenyuk is another lefty...and I dont think the Coyotes should consider trading Joseph. The team does not have near enough depth on D (especially after trading DeAngelo).

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Galchenyuk is another lefty...and I dont think the Coyotes should consider trading Joseph. The team does not hae near enough depth on D (especially after trading DeAngelo).
I was joking because that's not enough for him. Left or right I don't care if you can get that caliber of player at that age for that price you do it. We may not need left shots but we need young guys who've put up a 30g season in the NHL more than any other team in the league.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, this is not a one year fix but I am surprised at some of the comments. I think bringing in Stepan and Hjalmarsson were necessary moves to start the ship in the right direction. Cant be gutting the team leadership (Doan, Tippett, Smith And Hanzal) and expect 21 year old Domi to lead the way.

Best case scenario (as I have said in a few threads now) is a TML style renaissance and the team improves by leaps and bounds. Strome and Keller are Calder candidates, Domi enters into legit 1st line LW category, Dvorak/Perlini/Crouse et al continue to improve, OEL dominates and is back in Norris contention, and Raanta proves to be a legit starter goalie. A LOT to hope for.

Realistically, to get into playoff contention you are talking about a 70 goal differential turnaround. I think they will be better offensively. I think they will be challenged to stop goals against. Entertaining hockey but not necessarily winning hockey.
I'm with you Ducky. If you don't bring in players like Hjarlmarsson and Stepan how do you plan on moving franchise forward? It would have been the Oiler model without McDavid and we know how that story plays out; except we won't be drafting at 1OV. Furthermore you are pretty much ensuing OEL leaves as soon as he can. At least now you have a shot to keep him and get this franchise out of the mediocre hell they've been stuck in for the better part of a decade.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I was joking because that's not enough for him. Left or right I don't care if you can get that caliber of player at that age for that price you do it. We may not need left shots but we need young guys who've put up a 30g season in the NHL more than any other team in the league.
I saw your "scan roster for french players" proposal on the main boards. :laugh:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm with you Ducky. If you don't bring in players like Hjarlmarsson and Stepan how do you plan on moving franchise forward? It would have been the Oiler model without McDavid and we know how that story plays out; except we won't be drafting at 1OV. Furthermore you are pretty much ensuing OEL leaves as soon as he can. At least now you have a shot to keep him and get this franchise out of the mediocre hell they've been stuck in for the better part of a decade.

We haven't been mediocre. We've just been hell.

The best way to get from hell to mediocre is by trading first round picks. The best way to get from hell to the Stanley Cup is by keeping them.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Sounds like MTL is burying Galchenyuk again. Quick, let's offer them all of our French stuff for him.

Anthony Duclair, Pierre Olivier Joseph, Conor Garland (at least he's a Q alum?), and the MIN '18 2nd!
We could even throw in smoke's poutinery.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We haven't been mediocre. We've just been hell.

The best way to get from hell to mediocre is by trading first round picks. The best way to get from hell to the Stanley Cup is by keeping them.
Best way is to draft star players. I agree with that.

We dealt a draft pick where the player projected to be a 2nd/3rd liner and a two 4D's and a guy we can pick up on waivers in a year.

The willingness to deal a first round pick should be dependent upon the quality of the draft. This was the type of draft where you can feel fairly comfortable about dealing it.

Last edited:

BigDoaner

Jun 2, 2015
Hinterland- keller led the team in points this Pre season. Is he ready or does he need a year of Tucson?

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Keller led the team in points this Pre season. Is he ready or does he need a year of Tucson?

I hope he is ready, but you never know. It's good that he earned a spot on the opening roster, but we'll have to see if he can keep it once all the big boys start targeting him during the regular season. Hopefully his agility will get him out of most situations and he'll have a fantastic season, but he'll still need to bulk up a bit.

rt

May 13, 2004
Hinterland- keller led the team in points this Pre season. Is he ready or does he need a year of Tucson?

He's probably too busy burning Vrbata effigies. That was a wonderful hot take from a year ago. Vrbata was grossly overpaid and couldn't skate a regular shift in the NHL. Haha. But why look back? We've got the blind Mitch Marner hatred we can still enjoy over a hot bowl of buttery popcorn.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Oliver Ekman-Larsson (knee) participated in practice on Friday and is getting close to a return.
There is no guarantee that OEL will be available for the opener on Thursday as he partook in some drills before leaving the ice early but coach Rick Tocchet thought the progression of Ekman-Larsson was good enough to think about the possibility of his return. "He needs a few more of those kind of practices, pushing and shoving," coach Rick Tocchet said. "So we'll see how he goes."

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Oliver Ekman-Larsson (knee) participated in practice on Friday and is getting close to a return.
There is no guarantee that OEL will be available for the opener on Thursday as he partook in some drills before leaving the ice early but coach Rick Tocchet thought the progression of Ekman-Larsson was good enough to think about the possibility of his return. "He needs a few more of those kind of practices, pushing and shoving," coach Rick Tocchet said. "So we'll see how he goes."
Awesome news. This team without both OEL and Chychrun is pretty rough.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
He's probably too busy burning Vrbata effigies. That was a wonderful hot take from a year ago. Vrbata was grossly overpaid and couldn't skate a regular shift in the NHL. Haha. But why look back? ....
Beacause you could then find the goldmine of Stefan Fournier getting cut from the team being a great disaster since he was the cure for all that ails us.

Reactions: _Del_
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->