2017 NHL Redraft?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
2017 looks like its going to be a pretty deep draft. Just no absolut generational players like McDavid. Not a good draft to have #1 or #2

In 3-4 years redraft lists will be very interesting for that draft.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Patrick's upside should be questioned at this point. Not sure I'd have him top 5 in a redraft
That’s fair. I won’t make excuses about all the injuries he’s had, but that has hampered his play a bit.

We’re kind of pegging him a Sean Couturier development path. There are times when his play is just abysmal, but for all that I’ve seen in Patrick’s good play in comparison to Hischier... 9/10 time I would take Patrick. The only thing is... we have to see consistent high level play. He isn’t flashy which is why he may seem distant, but he’s a complete player. A perfect new age flyer. Please don’t say WaTcH sOmE dEvIlS hOcKeY... I live in 3 places throughout the year and watch a ton of Flyers, Penguins, Rangers, and Devils hockey (live in NYC, PHI, and PIT).

Before Couts was the 1C... avg DZS% was 39/41% and had comparable OzTOI/60 to 4th Line players. The moment he crossed the 45% threshold in OzTOI/60, he started his 30G - 70P play.

While Patrick is a good 2-way player, he was used as a shutdown this year with Hakstol. Only Raffl and Jori Lehtera has better OZS% and ZS|OzTOI/60 in comparison to usage. While that stat isn’t on Corsica or HockeyReference... it measures your usage in each zone accordingly.

I don’t have the exact numbers (I may be off, but the deviation or error isn’t high).

Out of Patrick’s 61 points in his career
OzTOI/60 above the 50% meridian: ~.82PPG
50/61 points.

OzTOI/60 below the meridian and that’s been ~110 of the 140 some career games: ~.18PPG
-The other 11 points.

Usage for these players are key. I’m not going to sit here and complain that we’re comparing F like Pettersson and Hischier getting 1PP, 1C, and high Oz chances... they definitely have earned it where Patrick hasn’t yet.

Sadly, Hakstol paired Patrick and Dale Weise together like they were brothers and Patrick sat on the 3rd Line for most of the season. He did have Voracek and Patrick as a shut down line lol... that was also really really bad.

—————
I wouldn’t go as far to say his upside is in question. You can see elite play when he’s on his game. Patrick just isn’t a flashy player. He won’t burn you with amazing stick handling or blow through the D with speed, but he’s a very efficient hockey player. Patrick needs a coach to exploit that.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
That’s fair. I won’t make excuses about all the injuries he’s had, but that has hampered his play a bit.

We’re kind of pegging him a Sean Couturier development path. There are times when his play is just abysmal, but for all that I’ve seen in Patrick’s good play in comparison to Hischier... 9/10 time I would take Patrick. The only thing is... we have to see consistent high level play. He isn’t flashy which is why he may seem distant, but he’s a complete player. A perfect new age flyer. Please don’t say WaTcH sOmE dEvIlS hOcKeY... I live in 3 places throughout the year and watch a ton of Flyers, Penguins, Rangers, and Devils hockey (live in NYC, PHI, and PIT).

Before Couts was the 1C... avg DZS% was 39/41% and had comparable OzTOI/60 to 4th Line players. The moment he crossed the 45% threshold in OzTOI/60, he started his 30G - 70P play.

While Patrick is a good 2-way player, he was used as a shutdown this year with Hakstol. Only Raffl and Jori Lehtera has better OZS% and ZS|OzTOI/60 in comparison to usage. While that stat isn’t on Corsica or HockeyReference... it measures your usage in each zone accordingly.

I don’t have the exact numbers (I may be off, but the deviation or error isn’t high).

Out of Patrick’s 61 points in his career
OzTOI/60 above the 50% meridian: ~.82PPG
50/61 points.

OzTOI/60 below the meridian and that’s been ~110 of the 140 some career games: ~.18PPG
-The other 11 points.

Usage for these players are key. I’m not going to sit here and complain that we’re comparing F like Pettersson and Hischier getting 1PP, 1C, and high Oz chances... they definitely have earned it where Patrick hasn’t yet.

Sadly, Hakstol paired Patrick and Dale Weise together like they were brothers and Patrick sat on the 3rd Line for most of the season. He did have Voracek and Patrick as a shut down line lol... that was also really really bad.

—————
I wouldn’t go as far to say his upside is in question. You can see elite play when he’s on his game. Patrick just isn’t a flashy player. He won’t burn you with amazing stick handling or blow through the D with speed, but he’s a very efficient hockey player. Patrick needs a coach to exploit that.
@NJ DevLolz for some reason I can’t edit my previous post, but so you can see... these circled games are areas where Patrick has received ZS|OzTOI/60 >50.25% I think it was.
E2E8B168-9B7A-4648-8A6F-D303CD660C9D.jpeg

646957A1-AF21-49EF-9015-0B098EF89F77.jpeg

25F35BFE-1687-4B6E-808C-081D4901AA2E.jpeg

There are more than just these games. The most prevalent stretch of high OzTOI that we talk about, for his play, on the flyers board is that West Coast stretch in the first pic. He was given an opportunity by Hakstol to play with good players in scoring opportunities... he showed great play... then was switched back to a defensive role.

This isn’t to say he’s underrated or it’s all in the coaches, but it’s hard to produce when the opportunity isn’t there.

Also, I’m not just circling all of the times where he produced well.In that big circle or one of the others he replaced Simmonds on the 1PP and had 5 PP goals I think or he had 3 in a short span of time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->