2017 NHL Entry Draft: Future Draft Steals

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Flyers had Frost post a fantastic draft+1 season with 112 points.

Then also had 3 other guys with PPG season in the OHL.

Also, of the top 5 OHL goal scorers drafted in 2017....the Flyers had 3 in Frost, Ratcliffe, and Strome. Suzuki and Robertson were the other 2.

Also nice to add another goalie into the fold in Ustimenko 1.81 GAA .929 SV% in the MHL

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Michael DiPietro will be an NHL goaltender sooner rather than later....a value pick in the third round by the Canucks.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
David Farrance will be an NHL Defensman. Nashville got a good one.

Good call on Farrance.

Maxime Comtois if he can get back on track.

Comtois was one of the steals of the draft.

Cayden Primeauâ€â€he played in the WJAC finals against my friend and goalie coach (but I digress). He's also the son of an NHL great, and, above all, he's a solid goaltender. That just about sums it up; I think the league's made for him.

Oh, and he won the WJAC as a 17-year old.

Primeau hasn't established himself yet in the NHL, but given where he was picked, that he already has played NHL games, and that he's one of the better goalie prospects around, I'd say this was a good call.

Going with the "steals" relative to their original expected positions.

Vilardi, Jason Robertson (if he fixes his skating), Matthew Strome (if he fixes his skating), idk why no one is taking Maxime Fortier. I'd sign him to a FA contract at least.

Robertson was a very good call.

Reactions: SI90

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The entire 2017 draft looks stellar for the Canucks.
This guy’s post was pretty solid as well. Elias Pettersson the first rounder, DiPietro tracking well and Jack Rathbone joining the team this year and could have a big role on the D.
That looks like 3 NHLers with only six picks.
Kole Lind was taken by Seattle in the expansion draft and Gadjovich has improved but still has a ways to go. He will play in the AHL again this year but may get a call up.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Is it true that at one point Comtois was considered a top10 or top5 talent but then his stock dropped a lot ?
Kind of like what happened with Aatu Raty in the 2021 draft.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Is it true that at one point Comtois was considered a top10 or top5 talent but then his stock dropped a lot ?
Kind of like what happened with Aatu Raty in the 2021 draft.

Pre-season he was ranked by TSN as Top 10. Actually Top 5 which is NHL scouts

he was ranked 4
Patrick
Lilljegrin
Kostin
Comtois
Tolvanen

NHL central scouting gave him a A grade pre-season and said he was highest rated Q player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->