2017 NHL Entry Draft: Future Draft Steals

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Morgan Frost.

Only because my faith in the ability of Flyers scouts to find talented forwards in the last third of the first round is limitless.

He better be because there were many, far to many than to list who were rated way higher than Morgan. I to have faith in the Flyer's scouting department so I will bite my lip and keep my fingers crossed.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

JohnnyHockey

Dec 30, 2013
Going with the "steals" relative to their original expected positions.

Vilardi, Jason Robertson (if he fixes his skating), Matthew Strome (if he fixes his skating), idk why no one is taking Maxime Fortier. I'd sign him to a FA contract at least.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
He better be because there were many, far to many than to list who were rated way higher than Morgan. I to have faith in the Flyer's scouting department so I will bite my lip and keep my fingers crossed.

This means nothing to me. I'm a big believer that you are much better off taking a riser instead of a faller, and I'm pretty sure the data bears that out.

I'm also a big believer in later birthdays, and guys who are still great players at that level despite being younger and less physically mature.

I'm also a big believer in skating, hockey sense, and competitiveness.

All of that describes Frost to a tee.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I think if you're looking at later-round upside, as a 'steal' then Lucas Elvenes to Vegas in the 5th might qualify?

Based purely on the reports out there, he has some good tools.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
This means nothing to me. I'm a big believer that you are much better off taking a riser instead of a faller, and I'm pretty sure the data bears that out.

I'm also a big believer in later birthdays, and guys who are still great players at that level despite being younger and less physically mature.

I'm also a big believer in skating, hockey sense, and competitiveness.

All of that describes Frost to a tee.
Can you present the data? Genuinely curious

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Really impressed by what I saw of Fabian Zetterlund during the U18 for Sweden. Young for this class (Late August '99), but competes really hard and skates the game really well. He really started to come on late in the season and the draft process and I think the Devils got a riser who is going to really going to start to separate from the pack this upcoming season. Blown away by his offensive instincts and some of the plays he makes look like he was seeing the ice from the catwalk. Crazy impressive to have played SHL games for having turned 17 only about a month into the season.

Morgan Geekie has been mentioned, and he certainly fits the bill as well. He was a young eligible last season and was passed over but had one of the bigger breakouts in his D+1 that I can remember from a countable stats metric. 25 points to 90. Really strong skater. Fantastic defensively.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Can you present the data? Genuinely curious

giphy.gif

I don't believe you are capable of having a genuine conversation.

As for the data, I've seen a post or two in the last year or so that explored it but I don't have them bookmarked. You can believe it or not, I don't really care. If you are indeed genuinely curious, go knock yourself out with the search feature.

Some unsolicited advice: You may want to adjust your approach if you want to have genuine conversations.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
giphy.gif

I don't believe you are capable of having a genuine conversation.

As for the data, I've seen a post or two in the last year or so that explored it but I don't have them bookmarked. You can believe it or not, I don't really care. If you are indeed genuinely curious, go knock yourself out with the search feature.

Some unsolicited advice: You may want to adjust your approach if you want to have genuine conversations.
Some unsolicited advice: You may want to adjust your approach of presenting opinions absent of facts if you want to have genuine conversations.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Blackhawks got one hell of a steal with Evan Barratt at the end of round 3.

Kid is going to be a gamer and does the little things right to excel to the NHL level.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
So one year later, who seems to have good production for where they were drafted. Who are your steal one year later?

I think Cayden Primeau is the biggest steal. One of the best goaltenders in the NCAA this season.

2017-2018 for Primeau:
Hockey East goaltender of the year.
Hockey East Rookie of the year.
Hockey East First Team All Star
Dominated and won the beanpot and the Ivan Hlinka tournament.

That's trending as a Grand Slam pick for the Habs.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
From the Rangers-
Chytil. He was a 1st rounder but wasn’t he projected to go in the 2nd? I remember a lot of people said the Rangers f***ed up bad with their 1st rounders.
Morgan Barron is looking very good (late round pick.) no one knew about this kid and then he lights it up at Cornell. Great size, speed, offensive IQ and is a C. Big fan of this pick
A lot of good calls in this thread though. Elvenes, Primeau, Chekhovich, Chmelevski, Frost. It’s early but a lot of them are looking like they should’ve gone much higher than they did. 2017 is a really underrated draft and has improved its stock like no other I’ve seen so far.
2 guys I’ve been big on but had disappointing seasons were Ikonen and Lipanov. A lot of people were also calling them underrated+future steals pre/post draft but I expected a lot more this year. Hopefully next year they’ll be better

Reactions: RoyalHabs

Petr Cejka

Feb 1, 2018
Thomas
Poehling
Ikonen
Walsh
Primeau
Drozg
Eriksson Ek
Talvitie
Chainey
Jones
Swayman
Petruzzelli

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So one year later, who seems to have good production for where they were drafted. Who are your steal one year later?
Its still too early, as no one is really a steal until they actually demonstrate NHL value, or the NHL team somehow monetizes that value by trading them for something worth significantly more than the pick used to take them. At this point their more risers than steals.

For example, Cayden Primeau had a great year, but he still has a very long way until he's a legitimate NHL goaltender given the trajectory around that position.

Tolvanen probably most dramatically improved his stock, as its very hard to crack the top 10 from 30th overall. Chytil had a promising year. Connor Timmins moved solidly into the first round. But, none are really "steals" until they dramatically outproduce the expected value of where they were picked in a way that provides real value to their NHL team.

If we go back to 2016. Guys like DeBrincat, Bratt and Samuel Girard are establishing themselves as legitimate steals, as they are significantly outperforming where they were drafted at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad