Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
We stole Fast (Fasth at the time) in the 6th round.

In reality. Do that draft over and he's a 2nd round pick in retrospect. Add a more pure scoring touch and leadership skills to what Fast brings and you have Lias in the 1st round with NYR taking him arguably a few spots earlier than projected on average.

So I wouldn't kill anyone mentioning Fast and Andersson in the same breath. I think it goes more to Fast's credit to max out his potential in the face of everyone that passed him up for 156 picks in 2010, more than it brings Lias down.

Fast's game is Lias + Shot + Leadership. Re-do the 2010 draft and the comparison isn't so far off.

I think Fast is a really fine player. I think Lias has a lot higher upside in that offense is not going to be such a problem for him as it was for Fast and he's getting to the NHL much faster. In a lot of other respects they're kind of similar. Fast is a better skater--at least right now. That's something Lias hopefully will get better at.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

In reality. Do that draft over and he's a 2nd round pick in retrospect. Add a more pure scoring touch and leadership skills to what Fast brings and you have Lias in the 1st round with NYR taking him arguably a few spots earlier than projected on average.

So I wouldn't kill anyone mentioning Fast and Andersson in the same breath. I think it goes more to Fast's credit to max out his potential in the face of everyone that passed him up for 156 picks in 2010, more than it brings Lias down.

Lias game is Fast + Shot + Leadership. Re-do the 2010 draft and the comparison isn't so far off.

The comparison and the "outraged" outcry from NYR fans had nothing to do with where Fast was drafted and where he'd go in the re-draft (e.g. noone would mind comparison to Benn if it was the mentioned, or if a goalie prospect is compared to Lundqvist). Recent offensive production to the side, Fast has always been a fine 4th liner with an ability to go up as a utility substitute if needed. Unless outsiders have a totally different from NYR fans fans perspective, this comparison was lazy at best.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Rhino Riley is one of the most respected players in the league.

Lias reminds of Ulf Dahlen if he played center. Thats not a bad thing.

You can't knock a 50 point all situations player that goes up against prime competition. The league doesn't have a ton of these guys.

This is where I see Lias.

He's an Alex Steen clone imo.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
I see "lazy comparison" is the new HFB catch phrase when we can't comprehend the same perspective fellow posters are trying to convey.

Akin to the political Orwellian doublethink in modern social commentary such as "reasonable controls"

I find myself saying this so many times. Sports and Politics share a very close micro/macrocosm kinship. On many facet's.

There's always that one person that doesn't get it and throws out "lazy derogatives" as a counterpoint to their lack of understanding.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I see "lazy comparison" is the new HFB catch phrase when we can't comprehend the same perspective fellow posters are trying to convey.

Akin to the political Orwellian doublethink in modern social commentary such as "reasonable controls"

I find myself saying this so many times. Sports and Politics share a very close micro/macrocosm kinship. On many facet's.

There's always that one person that doesn't get it and throws out "lazy derogatives" as a counterpoint to their lack of understanding.

It was me saying comparing Anderson/Fast is/was f***ing lazy, you don't have to make a 5 paragraph post whining about how I said the comparison screamed of lazy, I was talking more about the annoying douchebag from NBCSN but if the shoe fits....... I get it they're both Swedish, cool story bro.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Lias game is Fast + Shot + Leadership. Re-do the 2010 draft and the comparison isn't so far off.
Pierre mentioned Oscar Lindberg too. Seriously, what striking similarities are there between these 3 players other than being Swedish forwards on the Rangers? The first guy was comparing him to Chris Kunitz, then Pierre goes on about how the Rangers are using their highest draft pick in 13 years to replace expansion draft fodder.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
It was me saying comparing Anderson/Fast is/was ****ing lazy, you don't have to make a 5 paragraph post whining about how I said the comparison screamed of lazy, I was talking more about the annoying *****ebag from NBCSN but if the shoe fits....... I get it they're both Swedish, cool story bro.

See 2 posts before the one you quoted. And I'm seeing it in the main boards too.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

It was in reference to what Pierre said when the pick was announced on a draft day. You noted yourself the differences as you persive them. If we go with it, wasn’t there someone better to use as a comparable then? Maybe not even a Swede (gasp)?

It was lazy but now for some reason you’re trying to justify it.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Pierre mentioned Oscar Lindberg too. Seriously, what striking similarities are there between these 3 players other than being Swedish forwards on the Rangers? The first guy was comparing him to Chris Kunitz, then Pierre goes on about how the Rangers are using their highest draft pick in 13 years to replace expansion draft fodder.

Re: Andersson, Fast, Lindberg

Tenacious on the puck
Smart in all 3 zones
Good skaters
Strong boardwork
Great Hockey IQ

I'm not going to speak to them "as genetically Swedish" being a similarity but it's not hard to draw a conclusion that all 3 fit the mold of prototypical Swedish National hockey. It's no secret the National Team year in, year out play a specific style. which encompasses all those traits. It's not hard to conclude, out of all the players that put on the Tre Kroner make the NHL, that the top of the top are similar players and further separation is defined by the unique talents each player hones.

Hence my deduction that Fast and Andersson are not that far off of a comparable. They share a lot of the same base qualities that you can't say about ~70% of NHL players. The difference is Andersson has a better scorers touch and leadership intangibles, as well as something I touched on in another thread which is his knack for getting ahead of the play. Hense his being a 7oa selection vs. Fast who was a 6th rounder (that achieved 2nd rd'er abilities in retrospect) I compared that to Jagr's ability to Go left while everyone else went right and sneak in the back door to score a goal no one saw coming. That doesn't mean I'm comparing Andersson to Jagr as a whole.

Can any player ever really be compared accurately to another? I think that's splitting hairs. There is a reason why TV guys and fans compare players, and Coaches/GM/s are reluctant to do so.

Reactions: shinchanyo

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Personally it's hard to take it as a real analysis when all 3 of those players are Swedish Rangers. There are other Swedish players in the NHL, and there probably many other players of different nationalities who play a more similar game.

Like if it's a comparison to a Canadian forward who plays on the Penguins, I think Ok this guy is actually looking at similar players around the NHL, not just picking two Swedish Rangers.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Re: Andersson, Fast, Lindberg

Tenacious on the puck
Smart in all 3 zones
Good skaters
Strong boardwork
Great Hockey IQ

I'm not going to speak to them "as genetically Swedish" being a similarity but it's not hard to draw a conclusion that all 3 fit the mold of prototypical Swedish National hockey. It's no secret the National Team year in, year out play a specific style. which encompasses all those traits. It's not hard to conclude, out of all the players that put on the Tre Kroner make the NHL, that the top of the top are similar players and further separation is defined by the unique talents each player hones.

Hence my deduction that Fast and Andersson are not that far off of a comparable. They share a lot of the same base qualities that you can't say about ~70% of NHL players. The difference is Andersson has a better scorers touch and leadership intangibles, as well as something I touched on in another thread which is his knack for getting ahead of the play. Hense his being a 7oa selection vs. Fast who was a 6th rounder (that achieved 2nd rd'er abilities in retrospect) I compared that to Jagr's ability to Go left while everyone else went right and sneak in the back door to score a goal no one saw coming. That doesn't mean I'm comparing Andersson to Jagr as a whole.

Can any player ever really be compared accurately to another? I think that's splitting hairs. There is a reason why TV guys and fans compare players, and Coaches/GM/s are reluctant to do so.

Sidney Crosby is good at all 5 of those things why don't you compare him to Fast?

Reactions: shinchanyo

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Personally it's hard to take it as a real analysis when all 3 of those players are Swedish Rangers. There are other Swedish players in the NHL, and there probably many other players of different nationalities who play a more similar game.

Like if it's a comparison to a Canadian forward who plays on the Penguins, I think Ok this guy is actually looking at similar players around the NHL, not just picking two Swedish Rangers.

Well. Unfortunately for me. I'm not as much of a hockey junky as I was 2 decades ago before kids and a wife. I was the guy everyone asked who who was back when the internet wasn't in every household. In a small NY town, I followed the national papers and THN's publication the way my neighbors followed the Yankees and Mets.
I developed an interest in evaluating players. I'd watch out of market games as much as I could. It was fun. At this point in my life, I watch Rangers games on TV. Im lucky if I can get tickets once a year and travel an hour to get there, and I'm content chatting on the internet when I feel I have something to say, not 100 fluff post's a day. No time for that.

So my "lazy evaluations" come from what I know.

Your lucky I didn't name drop Jan Erixon. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Jeff Gorton should say no to World championship for Sweden for Lias, because he has played enough hockey this season including the remaining games for Wolfpack.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Jeff Gorton should say no to World championship for Sweden for Lias, because he has played enough hockey this season including the remaining games for Wolfpack.

Officially Gorton doesn't have control over it once the season is over. I'm sure Lias would listen to recommendations.

Reactions: Ori

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016

Seems like Andersson has been called up to the Sweedish National team. Possibly the world championships?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
How'd he do in the actual tourney?

As expected he played in the group stage against the lower ranked teams. He got a chance to play with Zib and Rakell a bit and was actually pretty decent. Got some PK time in those games as well.

Later on, he was a spare forward all the way to the final. Not bad for a 19-year old. The fact that he got to pick up his medal wearing his hockey gear and not a suit is a nice touch

Reactions: Inferno
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->