Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Yeah, I was just salty that they didn't take Vilardi or Tippett. And then again when they didn't take Yamamoto or Kostin with the Chytil pick. I was not happy that draft day

Replace Yamamoto with Vesalainen, and this is EXACTLY my draft day reactions. I was not a happy camper. I was livid for about an hour after the draft haha. More than okay with the picks now though!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I had a conversation at the time of the draft, the weeks leading up to the draft and also after, with @ManUtdTobbe. He must think I am an idiot for saying I liked Andersson more than Pettersson. Seeing Andersson play for HV71 in the SHL playoffs, I loved what I saw. His mature style of play, the way he asks for the puck. I remember being in Luxembourg the night of the 1st round of the draft (I was on my way to Vienna as part of my work relocation) and watched the draft at the Swedish pub there. The same pub where I watched the SHL playoff finals. Surrounded by Swedes, the moment we picked Andersson I immediately started "comparing notes" so to speak with the hockey fans present.

I will be the first to admit that when it comes to Lias, I might be a bit biased but I am happy he has delivered so far. His season starting off with the fatigue was worrying, but he has definitely redeemed himself.

I may have been wrong there, but I was extremely happy with Andersson. I underestimated Pettersson due to the fact that he played in the Allsvenskan, and I assumed he'd struggle in the SHL. Pettersson is looking like the best player from the draft, but I honestly feel Lias has a style that translates to the NHL very well, and much more easily than guys drafted in that range.

Time will tell, but so far, I am happy.

Last edited:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Replace Yamamoto with Vesalainen, and this is EXACTLY my draft day reactions. I was not a happy camper. I was livid for about an hour after the draft haha. More than okay with the picks now though!

I was pissed for Andersson, but I nearly threw my computer when we took Chytil

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I was pissed for Andersson, but I nearly threw my computer when we took Chytil
You weren't the only one for sure. The hard part for me with Chytil is that I really liked Tolvanen and Kostin. Obviously no one should be upset with the Chytil pick now but Tolvanen should be a terrific player as well.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
I've been saying this all season. In the games I've attended, and where I was tracking him every time he stepped on the ice, I noticed his great positioning. He isn't the fastest, but he reads the play so well, he is always where he needs to be.

The only thing you need to do to get there on time, is leave on time. His movement on the ice is based on anticipation rather than it being a reaction to what just happened. Eh, I don't know how to explain it.

Nope. Dead on balls accurate. A rare bread of player.

I am not comparing him the Jagr the legend, but how you describe Lias awareness is what made Jagr such a prolific scorer. Not just Jagr's elite skills, but that he had a secondary game that revolved around being a ghost in the O'zone. While everyone was moving right he went left and came in the back door when no one was looking. I've seen this a few times from Lias.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
So happy for this kid. Deserves every second of this. A true gamer and he is only 19. So impressed so far, he has come to play for sure. How’d the PRIMARY assist look for Lias ? I was working and of course missed it.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
I was livid about the Lias pick. Pierre comparing him to Fast and Lindberg didn't help. Pierre isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

So you guys might hate me but I think the Fast/Andersson comparison could be pretty accurate? And that's no slight towards Andersson. Fast is a smart player always seems in the right place. Not the fastest but effective when forechecking and makes smart non flashy passes. Not a sniper, goals come from 5 feet in to the net. Is defensively responsible and makes smart, subtle plays in the Dzone. Not a driver on a line and not much of a zone entry player but facilitator on a line. Could see Andersson thriving with Kreider (as would anyone technically) and Buch on the wings. Hope we see them together at some point

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So you guys might hate me but I think the Fast/Andersson comparison could be pretty accurate? And that's no slight towards Andersson. Fast is a smart player always seems in the right place. Not the fastest but effective when forechecking and makes smart non flashy passes. Not a sniper, goals come from 5 feet in to the net. Is defensively responsible and makes smart, subtle plays in the Dzone. Not a driver on a line and not much of a zone entry player but facilitator on a line. Could see Andersson thriving with Kreider (as would anyone technically) and Buch on the wings. Hope we see them together at some point

Thats why the comparison doesn't stick.

Lias can really shoot the puck.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Fast has really stepped up his game with Kreider and Zbad. He’s very effectively thrown his weight around along the boards and decimating the opposition there like he can jump out of a pool or something, maybe he developed pool skillz last summer?? He was always solid at that but now is at another level taking inspiration from his line mates, great to see.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

The only reason they compared him to Fast is because they both played for Husq.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Am I the only one who heard the Fast comparison, thought about having two Fast's and was like

GaSTODW3_400x400.png

Granted, I wouldn't want Fast at 7OA, but man do I love Fast.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
We stole Fast (Fasth at the time) in the 6th round.

In reality. Do that draft over and he's a 2nd round pick in retrospect. Add a more pure scoring touch and leadership skills to what Fast brings and you have Lias in the 1st round with NYR taking him arguably a few spots earlier than projected on average.

So I wouldn't kill anyone mentioning Fast and Andersson in the same breath. I think it goes more to Fast's credit to max out his potential in the face of everyone that passed him up for 156 picks in 2010, more than it brings Lias down.

Lias game is Fast + Shot + Leadership. Re-do the 2010 draft and the comparison isn't so far off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad