Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Said it a million times, but he's a Chris Drury clone with an attitude. Smart, stocky, tons of leadership qualities/hates to lose/yada yada yada

But yeah he's going to be really good as a swiss (swede?) army knife type who can pot between 25 and 35.
I hope we're talking good Drury and not the corpse who played here :laugh:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I hope we're talking good Drury and not the corpse who played here :laugh:

Yeah, hehe its the danger of comparisons. Wow this kid can become the next Bobby Holik! 90% of the readers will see the old fat fart stranded whale type that played for us. Not the legendary player that played for NJ.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It's instinctive for him. His on-ice presence isn't the type of thing that can be taught. I think that's one of the reasons he's "under the radar" a bit--he doesn't rely on pure skill, but rather skill and smarts. He's not flashy but gets it done all the same.

One thing that is amazing about Lias is he always seems to find his way to the puck and find his way to the net.

I love his nickname, the "Shark", its very fitting in a subtle way. He is circling like a shark whenever he get the scent of something, grin on his face. ;)

People should help to spread it, should be more nicknames out there. Can't have too many nicknames. Kramer would agree with me. Could be a Seinfeld episode, Kramer going on a crusade to spread the nickname of a young sport athlete. ;)

Link to interview where Lias is asked about his nickname, the "Shark":
Kaptenen: ”Typisk premiärmatch” - Sport | SVT.se

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac n Gs

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think people severely underrate his talent level because nothing he does out there screams of him winning a skills competition.

What you saw tonight is, in many ways, exactly what the Rangers are hoping develops to its highest level. Awareness, smart plays, positioning and doing things that don't get noticed unless you're actually watching the game.

I've been saying this all season. In the games I've attended, and where I was tracking him every time he stepped on the ice, I noticed his great positioning. He isn't the fastest, but he reads the play so well, he is always where he needs to be.

The only thing you need to do to get there on time, is leave on time. His movement on the ice is based on anticipation rather than it being a reaction to what just happened. Eh, I don't know how to explain it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I've been saying this all season. In the games I've attended, and where I was tracking him every time he stepped on the ice, I noticed his great positioning. He isn't the fastest, but he reads the play so well, he is always where he needs to be.

The only thing you need to do to get there on time, is leave on time. His movement on the ice is based on anticipation rather than it being a reaction to what just happened. Eh, I don't know how to explain it.

I agree.

I talked with a guy who worked with a team Lias played on the last couple of years. He has worked with quite many past, present and future NHLers over the years (Fiala, Fast, Tedenby, Hjalmarsson, Brännström and guys like that). He is usually a pretty negative guy, that type you know. His comment on Lias was he is just so fantastically skilled. Like he was discussing a fine wine or classical music or something like that.

When you watch him a lot, it strikes you how well he handles situations. He handles all situations so well. Sure he can play two periods and not do much, then he get a great chance and he always will make a great play. The right play.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
congrats to this young man. scoring in your first game is a serious accomplishment.

love loved the pick on draft day and continue to believe he'll wear a letter for us in the future.

this kid is going to be a winner.

I hated it on draft day, but my mind has definitely changed on the pick since then

Reactions: Ola

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Said it a million times, but he's a Chris Drury clone with an attitude. Smart, stocky, tons of leadership qualities/hates to lose/yada yada yada

But yeah he's going to be really good as a swiss (swede?) army knife type who can pot between 25 and 35.
I also think he’s going to be a clutch player too like Drury, just based on the type of goals he scores.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
congrats to this young man. scoring in your first game is a serious accomplishment.

love loved the pick on draft day and continue to believe he'll wear a letter for us in the future.

this kid is going to be a winner.

I hated it on draft day, but my mind has definitely changed on the pick since then
The only reason I didn't love it on draft day is that I was still bitter from the fact that they hadn't been able to snag Pettersson.

(Of course, if they had been able to trade up for Pettersson, it likely would've cost them the opportunity to draft Chytil, but at the time I didn't know that.)

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
The only reason I didn't love it on draft day is that I was still bitter from the fact that they hadn't been able to snag Pettersson.

(Of course, if they had been able to trade up for Pettersson, it likely would've cost them the opportunity to draft Chytil, but at the time I didn't know that.)

Yeah, I was just salty that they didn't take Vilardi or Tippett. And then again when they didn't take Yamamoto or Kostin with the Chytil pick. I was not happy that draft day

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I have seen 15-20 Lias goals this season from various leagues and the WJC's. I don't really think you can distinguish which is which, they're all scored from the same place in mostly the same situations.

I don't know about his upside and how it will translate into the NHL when he's in his prime, I simply have't seen him enough. What I do like in my limited viewings, is how he's a puck magnet. That's an inherent ability that's not really taught. If he can work on his skating a bit, I won't say the sky is the limit, it isn't, but there will be a lot of Anderson jersey's @ MSG.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
B-U-S-T!!!!!

Bieber+%281%29.jpg

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I have seen 15-20 Lias goals this season from various leagues and the WJC's. I don't really think you can distinguish which is which, they're all scored from the same place in mostly the same situations.

I don't know about his upside and how it will translate into the NHL when he's in his prime, I simply have't seen him enough. What I do like in my limited viewings, is how he's a puck magnet. That's an inherent ability that's not really taught. If he can work on his skating a bit, I won't say the sky is the limit, it isn't, but there will be a lot of Anderson jersey's @ MSG.

Yeah, this is something you notice when you watch him. He's not flashy, won't skate circles around his opponents but his situational awareness and ability to read the game results in him being in the right place, at the right time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->