Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C) - Part II

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Even if AV has input, and Gorton listens to that input... that's on Gorton. People are responsible for what they control. The coach does not control roster decisions, whatever input he might or might not have.

I didn't say otherwise. It's not AV's "fault" that Staal was brought in. I'm certain it was discussed among the Rangers' coaches, scouts and leadership group and I'm sure Staal's role on the team was discussed as well. The trade is on Gorton, for sure.

And when it comes to players in a role, people are responsible for what they can control... same thing... and at the end of the conversation about a player who is competent enough to play the role he was asked to, it comes down to whether or not a player performed in that role. Staal didn't. That's not on AV, that's on Staal.

Disagree almost entirely. Regardless of what a player is he should perform well in whatever role you require of him whether or not it plays to his strengths? Even if that were true, that's still on the coach who needs something from a player that might not be, or have never been, in his wheelhouse. Lias Andersson is in the "A" because this coach knows his role is not a 4C.

And no... what I quoted was verbatim what Staal said without using it in another context. People who think that's spinning, deserve the eye roll.

You literally did NOT quote Staal "verbatim" - you made up a quote to suit your argument that was your interpretation of what he said.

Here's the thing - I get your take on what you think he was saying and that you're possibly correct. My take isn't so outlandish that it's implausible or worth being described as "spinning".

To me, Staal wasn't saying "I suck and every center there is playing better than me so I'll do whatever they need me to do". My take is that Staal was saying "That's a very successful team over there and the guys playing 1 & 2C deserve to keep their jobs so I'm not coming there to upset the apple cart and I'll do whatever they need me to do".

Staal's underlying numbers were actually pretty good that season but his shooting percentage, for whatever reason, was terrible. He had a ton of high danger chances, excellent possession numbers, and a career horrible shot %. He bounced back the next year and the year after that even more.

My blame with AV isn't solely on AV. It's also on Gorton because there clearly wasn't a spot for him. It's also on Staal for not being able to adapt to whatever his puzzling role here was trying to be. It's also on AV because maybe he should've upset the apple cart.

You can tell me all you want that Staal didn't perform in his role here and I'll agree with that. I'll also take that a step further and say he wasn't put in a position to succeed and really didn't have any opportunity (by design, apparently) to play in the role that he spent his entire career before, and after, playing.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
5 games, but still... He will be with Rangers as soon as we trade Hayes.

He will finish the season in New York. And I still believe Chytil will spend some time in Hartford during the season.

The guy does nothing but produce.

Yep. At any level, in any situation, he finds ways to get into position to score. It's not even surprising to me at this stage.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I initially thought about 20 games before Lias was back up on the Rangers, look likes it might be a bit sooner if he can keep this up

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Years of being a parent has done that long before this board could take its swings. =)

One of the cool things about the boards is that it represents a diverse array of cultures, languages, ages, and perspectives.

The challenge is that is can sometimes be difficult to decipher what people are trying to communicate.

I generally try to take that into account before responding.
How's the little one doing?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I've only been a parent for a few months and I feel like my brain has completely melted.

At least this message board gives me a minute to formulate my thoughts before responding.
My kid is almost 2, and number 2 is on her way early next year....it goes fast. Trust me.. enjoy these moments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad