Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C) - Part II

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It`s hard to predict anything - and even harder to decide what the franchise are going to do so it`s also a gamble, because it`s extremely difficult sometimes to figure out where a player might end up in the lineup in let`s say in the next 5 years in NHL. But Rangers need a future 1st line center and ideally an elite type of center. And not a different type of a 3rd line center - we have so many already who compete in that position even though some of those players like Spooner or Hayes will be moved in the next TDL in March 2019.

I understand Gorton and his staff refuse to use him as a 4th line role center in NHL due to value hence why they sent him down, of course, it`s better for him to play a top 6 role with Wolfpack concerning his development.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
“NHL ready”

Nothing against Andersson, but our FO pisses me off.
I mean, you should blame Larry Brooks and the media for that. The Rangers never said that and clearly they didn't believe it because they sent him back to Sweden last year. They're being careful with his development to maximize what he can become as an NHL player instead of just forcing him onto the team for optics.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Lias being ready for a 4th line role right out of the draft = “NHL ready.”

I think this was more the point there. We clearly believe in his upside and we are taking the time to bring him up and let him develop into his (hopeful) ceiling.

Lias surprising everyone and exceeding expectations would far and away be one of the greatest things that can potentially happen to this team.

Kid is hungry and goes out on the ice to lead + has a monster IQ.

I know where my bet lies here.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's humorous that people are upset that a 19 year old kid is going to be playing on the top-line int he AHL. He was drafted last year. He had a very good D+1 season. He could play the entire year int he AHL (which he won't) and score 55-60 points this season and it be considered an absolute success. People do realize that most kids who are drafted are either playing in the NCAA as sophomores or are back to Junior hockey in their D+2 season?

He is being unfairly compared to Chytil who had an absolutely stud-like D+1 season. That is setting the bar WAY too high.

As I posted earlier this week: Couture, Kadri, Schenn, Brassard and a few more, all played either junior hockey or AHL hockey to start their D+2 season. And all of them were drafted around the 7th spot

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Pretty sure he can't play in the WJC because of the medal thing.

IIHF Announces Suspension of Lias Andersson from 2019 World Junior Championship

Also because he won't be u20.

A player is eligible to play in the World Junior Ice Hockey Championships if:
  • the player has his 20th birthday in the year of the tournament's ending (i.e. born in 1994 for 2014 tournament), and at latest, the fifth year after the tournament's ending (i.e. born in 1999 for 2014 tournament);

Lias was born in 1998, so he won't be eligible.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Also because he won't be u20.

A player is eligible to play in the World Junior Ice Hockey Championships if:
  • the player has his 20th birthday in the year of the tournament's ending (i.e. born in 1994 for 2014 tournament), and at latest, the fifth year after the tournament's ending (i.e. born in 1999 for 2014 tournament);

Lias was born in 1998, so he won't be eligible.

Right... because the tournament ENDS on 1/5/19. Which is kinda hilarious, because choosing the end of the tourney and not the beginning is completely arbitrary. What if the tournament started a week earlier? Doesn't matter... rather him be in a maximum of 2 places this year after what he did last year. AHL or NHL

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
As I posted earlier this week: Couture, Kadri, Schenn, Brassard and a few more, all played either junior hockey or AHL hockey to start their D+2 season. And all of them were drafted around the 7th spot

and all of them had the tools to skate at the nhl level just needed to round out their games. this is not the case with andersson. this will be a huge miss. he won't bust though he'll play in the league for us and this will piss everyone off but he'll be spot on, Mguire said he'll be a jesper fast type player for us that hopefully wears the C one day. but he won't be a high end player. and that's probably what he'll be. won't skate as well as jesper but he's better around the net and will play on the pp. we blew another high pick. not sure why anyone should be surprised by it. its in our DNA.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
and all of them had the tools to skate at the nhl level just needed to round out their games. this is not the case with andersson. this will be a huge miss. he won't bust though he'll play in the league for us and it will piss everyone off but he'll be spot on like Mguire said he'll be a jesper fast type player for us that hopefully wears the C one day. but he won't be a high end player. we blew that pick.

Considering where he is in his D-2 season, as to where Fast was, I feel further makes McQuire's comments look silly.

But that also pretty much sums up McQuire's career, from coaching to broadcasting. He's the definition of the word asinine.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Considering where he is in his D-2 season, as to where Fast was, I feel further makes McQuire's comments look silly.

But that also pretty much sums up McQuire's career, from coaching to broadcasting. He's the definition of the word asinine.

agree to disagree then but I think Pierre is going to be spot on here. didn't McKenzie say the same?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
and all of them had the tools to skate at the nhl level just needed to round out their games. this is not the case with andersson. this will be a huge miss. he won't bust though he'll play in the league for us and this will piss everyone off but he'll be spot on, Mguire said he'll be a jesper fast type player for us that hopefully wears the C one day. but he won't be a high end player. and that's probably what he'll be. won't skate as well as jesper but he's better around the net and will play on the pp. we blew another high pick. not sure why anyone should be surprised by it. its in our DNA.

McGuire compared him to Fast only because they're both Swedish and both played for Husq in their draft year.

Reactions: Edge

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
agree to disagree then but I think Pierre is going to be spot on here. didn't McKenzie say the same?

No, I think the Fast thing was pretty much a McQuire-ism.

But I don't actually see anything that has me concerned or any results that have me taking a long, deep breath.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Schenns skating was almost identical to lias'...frankly it's probably identical right now.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
“I think the biggest thing he’s got to work on is his skating,” said Lombardi. “But his hockey sense is top notch. He has the ability to make those small, smart, little plays and has no fear going into traffic, going into the blue and along the walls. He’s a real competitor and I think he’s got a chance to grow into some leadership.”

Which player is he talking about? Schenn or lias?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
You do know that Lias had one of the best D-1 seasons in SuperElit history, right?

Fast was barely a 0.5ppg player in his draft year in SuperElit while Lias was scoring in the SHL. Pierre was a total dipshit with that comparison.

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
And Nigel Dawes is a star in Russia and was a dominant junior player. As was Pavel Brendl.

Means nothing when you get to this level.

The speed of the game is slower and he’s a very good player so he was able to dominate. Just like he did in the WJC no surprise.

But speed is going to be his issue and quite frankly he never has the puck on his stick so he doesn’t drive offense. and I certainly don’t want him in the middle of the ice with the way he skates. Chytil is going to be a stud at center ice. But he probably doesn’t have franchise center upside. If and when we do get that guy this summer where does that put lias with Brett Howden here big strong skating smart third line center?

It puts lias on the wing. Behind panarin who’s coming make no mistake. Behind buchy behind kravstov no doubt and probably behind kreider still. Maybe even Vesey who has the tools to break out.

It puts lias on the third line wing in a shut down role which is probably where he helps us best. He’s not going to be a 60 pt player guys. I’d love to be wrong on this one but not sure what anyone sees that makes you think otherwise. Is he smart? Absolutely nice hands around the net good shot. Good for the power play 2 id say.

I’m certain McKenzie also compared him to fast or Lindberg at the time but that’s neither here nor there.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
I’m certain McKenzie also compared him to fast or Lindberg at the time but that’s neither here nor there.

That's just a lazy comparison because they're Swedish Rangers. And Fast's speed might be the best part of his game, so I'm not sure how that comparison fits into your agenda beyond the simple idea that Andersson can only be as good as Fast.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Brassard and Kadri are not first line players. Schenn wasn't until last year and we will see if that was anything more than a fluke. Couture is a low-end first line player.

This is the range Andersson projects into... and that's now blowing that pick. Those are good players to have gotten in that range. Basically, I have no idea why "high-end" player is the standard for 7OA.

Reactions: Ori and haveandare

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad