2017 NFL Off-Season News Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Here's a great article that breaks it down (the Cowboys drafting of Pro Bowlers)

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...rs-than-any-other-nfl-team-over-last-10-years

I'm not a Cowboys fan or anything - just kinda surprised at this though. Fun, useless NFL fact IMO. Jason Garrett's actually hit the jackpot a lot as well as Jimmy.

Pro-Bowl elections have just changed so much over the past 10 years. I'm not sure they're even a great barometer of talent anymore. Trevor Siemien was a Pro Bowler last year at QB (!!) and he's probably going to lose his job this year at some point. Nobody even wants to play in the Pro Bowl anymore.

I think Pro Bowl selections still matter if we're looking at a player from last generation that's still trying to get in. So think guys like Tomlinson and Jason Taylor, who just got in obviously. Back then the game still had some merit.

Now though? Highly questionable.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
NFL suspends Atlanta CB Jalen Collins 10 games for PED use.

from espn.com:

hi-res-c8df132091d8754720065f715606e199_crop_north.jpg

Atlanta Falcons cornerback Jalen Collins, who started in Super Bowl LI against the New England Patriots, has been suspended without pay for the first 10 games of the 2017 regular season for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Collins is due to make $928,440 this season. The 10-game suspension will cost him $546,141.

The league made the announcement Sunday, hours after Collins nearly intercepted a pass at the end of practice. It marks the second consecutive year Collins has violated the same league policy. He served a four-game suspension without pay at the beginning of last season.

If he commits a third violation of the PED policy, Collins would be suspended for at least two years according to the league's policy. He would then be permitted to apply for reinstatement to the commissioner after 24 months.

"We are extremely disappointed that for the second straight season we are dealing with a suspension for Jalen. Such are the consequences when certain choices are made. Our decisions going forward will be based on what [coach] Dan [Quinn] and I feel is best for the team," general manager Thomas Dimitroff said in a statement.

Full story here: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20267827/jalen-collins-atlanta-falcons-suspended-10-games-peds

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Yeah long overdue.

I'm honestly a little bit tired of the league berating these dudes and throwing them under the bus every week. They have an extremely difficult job and people gotta realize they're not going to be 100% accurate.

Feb 24, 2017
NFL suspends Atlanta CB Jalen Collins 10 games for PED use.

from espn.com:

hi-res-c8df132091d8754720065f715606e199_crop_north.jpg

Atlanta Falcons cornerback Jalen Collins, who started in Super Bowl LI against the New England Patriots, has been suspended without pay for the first 10 games of the 2017 regular season for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Collins is due to make $928,440 this season. The 10-game suspension will cost him $546,141.

The league made the announcement Sunday, hours after Collins nearly intercepted a pass at the end of practice. It marks the second consecutive year Collins has violated the same league policy. He served a four-game suspension without pay at the beginning of last season.

If he commits a third violation of the PED policy, Collins would be suspended for at least two years according to the league's policy. He would then be permitted to apply for reinstatement to the commissioner after 24 months.

"We are extremely disappointed that for the second straight season we are dealing with a suspension for Jalen. Such are the consequences when certain choices are made. Our decisions going forward will be based on what [coach] Dan [Quinn] and I feel is best for the team," general manager Thomas Dimitroff said in a statement.

Full story here: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20267827/jalen-collins-atlanta-falcons-suspended-10-games-peds

Oh, wow. Thank goodness the Patriots were able to erase that deficit and we have a legitimate champion. It would have been a major black eye on the NFL were the "champs" found to have been harboring PED abusers.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I would want to know the timing of the offer and the year of the 2nd rounder before I rip the Bengals too much. Like, if the Browns offered Houston's 2018 2nd round pick then it's easier to understand.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Turning down any offer of a 2nd round pick is foolish no matter what year

McCarron will never be starter in Cincy and you may never get an offer like that again

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Turning down any offer of a 2nd round pick is foolish no matter what year

McCarron will never be starter in Cincy and you may never get an offer like that again

I would have taken the offer too, I just think people read "2nd round pick" and can go a bit crazy. A 2nd round pick a year later is worth closer to a 3rd. And when it's a good team's pick the value gets even lower.

That said, I do wonder what's up here with the Bengals and McCarron. It wouldn't be that shocking if they were giving Dalton one more year to push the team forward this year, and then if he couldn't do it they could move him on for a 1st round pick. Run with McCarron as a bridge QB and use the extra ammo to draft your future, long-term QB.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I'm confused, how does a dude get suspended 6 games for DV when it was proven in court it was a made up story?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm confused, how does a dude get suspended 6 games for DV when it was proven in court it was a made up story?

You're talking about a league that suspended Roethlisberger for nothing, so who knows.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I'd fight the hell out of it, unless facts come out that nobody knows now.

I agree. If this is over that alleged incident with his Ex, then this is whack. Especially when the police didn't even bother pursuing it. And that leaked text message between his ex and her friend about lying to investigators.
Still confused about why this is taking over a year. Browns investigation lasted 10 months because his wife wouldn't talk to NFL investigators.

Who knows. To be determined on amount suspended(as far as I know).
Outside of that case, the rest of his off the field "incidents" are nothing, that we know of.
Unless the NFL has some tape that no one knows about.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
that's not what happened

My bad a prosecutor looked over the evidence of the claimed, injuries, incidents and how good the witnesses were and the texts and decided not to do anything or file charges over six weeks of looking over stuff.

They better have crazy evidence. Cause the giants kicker got 1 game for a whole lot of police reports. So this has to be a different incident that people don't know about, if it is Dv.

Chances are, it's 4 games for weed plus 2 games were conduct detrimental to the league. That I would not argue and the right thing was done

Last edited:

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Chances are, it's 4 games for weed plus 2 games were conduct detrimental to the league. That I would not argue and the right thing was done

Wouldn't we of heard about him failing a drug test, multiple times, for a suspension over weed?

Him worried about not passing a test, and failing a test are two separate things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->