2017 NFL Off-Season News Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20209226/miami-dolphins-rb-jay-ajayi-being-evaluated-concussion

Dolphins RB Jay Ajayi being evaluated for concussion...
Ajayi got a lot of work in Miami's first full-contact, full-padded practice of training camp. He ran the ball and caught several passes out of the backfield while taking some hits in the process. Dolphins safety T.J. McDonald, for example. had a big hit on Ajayi that knocked the tailback off his feet in one of Ajayi's final plays.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/08/01/seahawks-safety-kam-chancellor-signs-contract-extension

Chancellor extended three years. He certainly got paid, but he earned it.

I was irritated by his holding out a couple of years ago, but to his credit he came back and proved he was the man despite not getting his way at the time. Just as with Earl Thomas, the D isn't the same when he's not on the field so it's great to have him a few more years.

I would agree with that too. I'm all for the players getting paid what they should. But, I think that players and their agents need to fully understand how contracts work in the NFL. All of the power right now lies with the owners. So, when Chancellor signed his 2nd NFL contract, he had just completed his third year of his rookie deal. He earned about $1.5 million up to that point in time. So got some security with $17 of the $28 million guaranteed. Have to be smart about how you structure the deals. Keep the term at most 1 year longer than when you are due any significant amount of guaranteed money.

Now this new deal gets him $25 million guaranteed. His style of SS playing in the box is being phased out with the RB being more of a receiver like McAffery, and having to cover the TE. So, I doubt he'll be a Hawk when he doesn't have anymore guaranteed money on the contract. Just the reality of life in the NHL.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Read an article saying Jared Lorenzen is finally serious about losing weight after weighing in at 503 pounds.

He's only 36.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Read an article saying Jared Lorenzen is finally serious about losing weight after weighing in at 503 pounds.

He's only 36.

At 503 pounds, you usually don't last much longer after you turn 40. Good luck to him, because it really is a life-or-death scenario.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Do you not remember the video incident and the Steelers telling him to quit the TD dances?

Those aren't even really noteworthy offenses, but if you're going to be paid as the highest paid player in the NFL you can't be missing games due to suspensions for silly stupid things like breaking uniform rules or posting videos online.

lets be real here. fining players for TD dances and fining players because their socks are too high is pretty ****ing ridiculous. Yet the NFL lets players celebrate sacks in all kinds of ways.
they dont call it the NoFunLeague for nothing

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
lets be real here. fining players for TD dances and fining players because their socks are too high is pretty ****ing ridiculous. Yet the NFL lets players celebrate sacks in all kinds of ways.

Agreed, the TD celebrations are something fans love and the NFL has to go and (try) to ruin it.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

agree - but that's a totally separate issue (what the NFL fines players for).

My point was that I wouldn't pay a player the top contract in the NFL if he cannot avoid being suspended.

I will say though - if some of these guys want a bump from a $15M/year contract to a $25M contract/year, is it too much to ask for them to wear whatever shoes the NFL wants them to? I understand you think you deserve more money; but when you become the highest paid player in the league you also become a "leader" in the league and represent it. More money = more responsibility.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Jerry Jones HOF speech... god he has his flaws, but I love this man.

He's an arse at times but I respect him for being such a good and cunning businessman. I remember in the late 80's he said he'd likely give up GM duties in a decade, obviously that didn't happen even tho it should have, but he's managed to make the 'Boys one of the worlds most valuable teams despite having to juggle multiple duties.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
The surprising stat last night shared about Jerry was he's drafted more Pro Bowlers than any other team since 1989 (not sure of the exact year, but it was a while)

The media has always knocked Jerry on meddling too much, but that stat kind of shocked me. Maybe the media has been giving him a bad rap that was undeserved.

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
The surprising stat last night shared about Jerry was he's drafted more Pro Bowlers than any other team since 1989 (not sure of the exact year, but it was a while)

The media has always knocked Jerry on meddling too much, but that stat kind of shocked me. Maybe the media has been giving him a bad rap that was undeserved.

This seems like a pretty silly metric

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Here's a great article that breaks it down (the Cowboys drafting of Pro Bowlers)

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...rs-than-any-other-nfl-team-over-last-10-years

I'm not a Cowboys fan or anything - just kinda surprised at this though. Fun, useless NFL fact IMO. Jason Garrett's actually hit the jackpot a lot as well as Jimmy.

Pro-Bowl elections have just changed so much over the past 10 years. I'm not sure they're even a great barometer of talent anymore. Trevor Siemien was a Pro Bowler last year at QB (!!) and he's probably going to lose his job this year at some point. Nobody even wants to play in the Pro Bowl anymore.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Jerry Jones HOF speech... god he has his flaws, but I love this man.

I got a chuckle out of the statue/geisha doll story from Japan but the real highlight for me was Jones publicly burying the hatchet with Jimmy Johnson and thanking him for being a big part in rebuilding the Cowboys from the NFL's worst team into Super Bowl Champions. Now hopefully the Cowboys can finally start planning the ceremony for adding Johnson to the Ring of Honor. :handclap:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't even recall if Jerry and Jimmy finally did let bygones be bygones before that, but it was certainly time to do it, especially since Jerry is in the PFHOH and Jimmy isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad