2017 Islanders Prospect Rankings: #12

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Just a random observation, and maybe people are low on Salo because we still don't know a ton about him, but it seems like 3-5 years ago our 2nd round pick (and first in the draft) would have easily been ranked in the top 10. May just not be remembering correctly, but I feel like this is a positive sign for our depth especially on D. A guy who was drafted in the 2nd round with potential to be a top 4 guy some day, we are ranking as our 5th best D prospect. We need some more depth at RW and C but on D, G, and LW we are very strong.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Just a random observation, and maybe people are low on Salo because we still don't know a ton about him, but it seems like 3-5 years ago our 2nd round pick (and first in the draft) would have easily been ranked in the top 10. May just not be remembering correctly, but I feel like this is a positive sign for our depth especially on D. A guy who was drafted in the 2nd round with potential to be a top 4 guy some day, we are ranking as our 5th best D prospect. We need some more depth at RW and C but on D, G, and LW we are very strong.

We have 12 very strong prospects with NHL upside in my opinion.

A few years ago, I honestly think we had 5-6 strong prospects, but the depth fell off before 10.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Also another random observation, but the HF 2013 rankings had 1. Strome, 2. Nelson, and 3. Reinhart as our top 3 prospects. Goes to show you, you can't get too high on your own players until you see consistent impact at the NHL level. Until then, they're all wild cards.

In addition, Matt Donovan was #5 ahead of both CDH and Anders Lee. What a world we live in

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Also another random observation, but the HF 2013 rankings had 1. Strome, 2. Nelson, and 3. Reinhart as our top 3 prospects. Goes to show you, you can't get too high on your own players until you see consistent impact at the NHL level. Until then, they're all wild cards.

In addition, Matt Donovan was #5 ahead of both CDH and Anders Lee. What a world we live in

I'd say Nelson panned out for a 30th overall pick. Reinhart, Donovan, and Lee all had skating issues, and only one of them panned out.

de Haan's stocked dropped when he went pro due to his shoulder injuries, while Donovan put together some nice seasons in the AHL, which didn't expose his mobility deficiencies.

Strome for me, was the perfect junior scorer, and guys like Barzal and Ho-Sang could skate circles around him.

Clutcherbuck

Feb 28, 2007
Albany, NY
Avoiding the inevitable Salo train here with a Vande Sompel vote. I just really feel that Salo's "first steps" skating issue is going to keep him from the NHL, at least for several years. He can overcome it, but it will take a ton of work.

Ricklongisland

May 31, 2016
New York

Yeah I remember thinking Donovan would be one of our next up and comers. He had a few real good years in the AHL while de Haan spent most of the time on IR. I was one of those people who would slap you silly if you said de Haan had more upside.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
We have a very solid crop of prospects here. Where would you rank the Islanders as a team against others?

Top 10?
Top 5?

Top 10 for sure, I think Corey Pronman had us ranked #4 but his rankings tend to be more skill based.

Local290

Jun 28, 2016
I agree top 10 for sure, probably close to top 5.

And THN has is at 23 in the future watch issue. Absolutely ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad