U20: 2017 IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship Div. II Group A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
It doesn't make them THAT much better but Japan plays and has always played hockey better than Lithuanians, at all levels. They dominated the 2A in 2012 and have only been relegated from 1B for pulling out. If history counts for anything (and it does) you have to consider Japan to be favorites.
There's always variance and all the players change all the time at the junior level, so you can't really say anything with any certainty just based on history alone.

Lithuania seems to have a really great top 6, especially for this level. They're going to rip other teams apart. Not sure about their D, though.

kulenova seka

Croatia, playing with only 14 skaters, overcome 1:3 deficit against Romania and won 4:3 after SO. I didn't see us winning even with full squad, this is little miracle on ice.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
There's always variance and all the players change all the time at the junior level, so you can't really say anything with any certainty just based on history alone.

Lithuania seems to have a really great top 6, especially for this level. They're going to rip other teams apart. Not sure about their D, though.

Yeah great top 6 and absolutely terrible defense. This team isn't any stronger than ones before so so much for that variance stuff. At the same time, looking at how Japan handled Estonia they don't seem weaker than before either.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Yeah great top 6 and absolutely terrible defense. This team isn't any stronger than ones before so so much for that variance stuff. At the same time, looking at how Japan handled Estonia they don't seem weaker than before either.
I'm watching the game right now and some of the Lithuanian defencemen really are god awful. One guy had at least 2 passing lanes open right in front of him, but he just stared down at the ice and cleared the puck randomly along the boards in his own zone, even though he wasn't being pressured. WTF.

The Lithuanian forwards basically have to bring the puck up the entire ice themselves.

But then again, the Dutch are even worse. :laugh:

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
The announcer really loves to use the words 'dutch boys', which is somewhat disconcerting in and of itself, but what makes it even worse is the fact that it actually sounds like 'touch boys' with that strong Estonian accent.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
This Japanese team is just dominant. They are looking even better than I expected them to, really don't see Lithuanians competing with this.

Croatians just getting walked around, this is turning pretty sad.

kulenova seka

This Japanese team is just dominant. They are looking even better than I expected them to, really don't see Lithuanians competing with this.

Croatians just getting walked around, this is turning pretty sad.

Just posted on croatian forum that this game reminds me of South Park's "Stanley's Cup" episode. :laugh:

This is reality for croatian team, I still don't figure how Romanians blew 3:1 lead...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Estonia continues their tradition to completely poop the bed against Lithuania despite having relatively competitive roster and loses 7-1. It's all between Japan and Lithuania now.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Emilis Krakauskas whooping Romanians pretty good. Would really like to see him loaned out to some NLB club to see how he does against men, would be good for him.

kulenova seka

Estonia knocked Croatia late in the game by scoring four goals. Croats once again were heavily outshot, which is not suprise given the (un)quality of our D. Good thing however is that all three goals were scored by players who can suit up for U18 team in the spring (Canic already has two), so at least we shouldn't have problems scoring goals in Korea.

kulenova seka

As expected, Lithuania is playing cat and mouse game with Croatia...5:0 still first period.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Really interesting final Lithuania - Japan tomorrow, haven't been this excited for a hockey game in a long time. Very different yet pretty equal teams, Lithuania won 2-1 at U18 last year in a close game and has almost the same roster, Japanese 11 players of the same team.

kulenova seka

Krakauskas show so far against Japan. 4:3 Ltu after 40 minutes.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
It looks like Lithuania has this one in the bag indeed.

Builder23

Dec 17, 2016
Hello.Does anybody know why Croatia so heavy favorite against Netherlands.From what i saw Netherlands looks stronger. or maybe smth has hapened with Netherlands team? Huge drop on Croatia

kulenova seka

Hello.Does anybody know why Croatia so heavy favorite against Netherlands.From what i saw Netherlands looks stronger. or maybe smth has hapened with Netherlands team? Huge drop on Croatia

Where is Croatia favorite ? Netherlands is slightly better and I expect them to dictate tempo and have much more chances and SOG, only chance for Croatia if their goalie Nikolić will have big game.

Builder23

Dec 17, 2016
Where is Croatia favorite ? Netherlands is slightly better and I expect them to dictate tempo and have much more chances and SOG, only chance for Croatia if their goalie Nikolić will have big game.
I also think so.But odds on Croatia drop from 2.4 to 1.7 on win thats why i am confused.

kulenova seka

Croatia down to D2B after 3:2 loss to Netherlands. They managed to blew 2:0 lead...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I also think so.But odds on Croatia drop from 2.4 to 1.7 on win thats why i am confused.

I guess this was based on past results.

Lithuania with a win, well done boys. Sadly this is just for one year as team gets significantly weaker next year but still. Even becoming elevator team would be great.

kulenova seka

What I sincerely hope is that Medvescak nor any other croatian team or selection won't play EBEL U20 nor U18 next season. There is no point in spending weekends in various austro-hungarians towns and villages if you can't setup ******* one-timer for Smolec at PP, and supposedly junior EBEL is here to serve as sort of preparation and chemistry gathering for wjc. It is too expensive league to play in to be elevator team between D2A and B.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah Croatia was horrible this year, I don't know what are they doing there. By far the worst Croatian team I can remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad