Prospect Info: 2017 HF Devils Top 25 Prospect Rankings

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It's hilarious in hindsight that Coleman isn't on this list. I do know a few were high on him, particularly Jim.
He's really blossoming into a John Madden type player this season. You can't really blame the consensus for him from last year though, he looked like another AHL plug call up for most of his stint here. Plus he's 26 already.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Then what would the top 5 look like then?

McLeod, Boqvist, JQ, Rykov, Speers/Anderson/ Walsh?
Something like that, yes. I no longer consider Hischier, Bratt, Wood, and Santini to be prospects, they are NHLers.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Then what would the top 5 look like then?

McLeod, Boqvist, JQ, Rykov, Speers/Anderson/ Walsh?

My top 5 non-NHL players in the organization right now on how they will project to the NHL, hmmm. that's tough, but at the moment, I would go with:

1. Boqvist
2. Walsh
3. JQ
4. McLeod
5. Rykov

Last edited:

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
My top 5 non-NHL players in the organization right now on how they will project to the NHL, hmmm. that's tough, but at the moment, I would go with:

1. Boqvist
2. Walsh
3. JQ
4. McLeod
5. Rykov

**Anderson just misses out
Are you low on McLeod, or just high on the other guys?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Are you low on McLeod, or just high on the other guys?

High on all of them, I like JQ just a tad more than McLeod at the moment mainly due to his physicality and shot.
McLeod is younger, much faster and can shoot up the list if he shows his potential at the WJC and the rest of the OHL season.
His scouting reports are high on his hockey smarts but I'd like to see that from him on the grand U-20 stage.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Here would be my Top-12 at this point in time.

1. Boqvist
2. Walsh
3. JQ
4. McLeod
5. Rykov
6. Zetterlund
7. Anderson
8. Studenic
9. Talvitie
10. Maltsev
11. Davies
12. Seney

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
High on all of them, I like JQ just a tad more than McLeod at the moment mainly due to his physicality and shot.
McLeod is younger, much faster and can shoot up the list if he shows his potential at the WJC and the rest of the OHL season.
His scouting reports are high on his hockey smarts but I'd like to see that from him on the grand U-20 stage.
I'm a bit down on JQ. Pretty decent season, but over the coarse of one and half seasons Kowalsky has questioned his conditioning(last year) and his 5v5 play(this year). Also wonder if he has the quicks to do what we want to do.

McLeod at least brings the mix of size speed and intensity, while also playing smart defensively, that is our blue print. And he's a righty, which could give him an edge to get into the NJ lineup.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh

1. Boqvist
2. Walsh
3. JQ
4. McLeod
5. Rykov
6. Zetterlund
7. Anderson
8. Studenic
9. Talvitie
10. Maltsev
11. Davies
12. Seney

Speers is still a better prospect than a few of those guys. Disappointing season but he did make the team out of camp last year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

1. Boqvist
2. Walsh
3. JQ
4. McLeod
5. Rykov
6. Zetterlund
7. Anderson
8. Studenic
9. Talvitie
10. Maltsev
11. Davies
12. Seney
Speers, Gignac, and Bastian all completely off?

It might not be a coincidence that all 3 of the young guys who moved up the AHL are having bad years on what has been a very bad team.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Speers, Gignac, and Bastian all completely off?

It might not be a coincidence that all 3 of the young guys who moved up the AHL are having bad years on what has been a very bad team.

I forgot about Gignac, he could possibly crack my 10/12 range, maybe over Seney.

I'm not too high on Bastian, wanted Dahlen at that pick, and hope I'm dead wrong but I don't see Speers making any impact here.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I forgot about Gignac, he could possibly crack my 10/12 range, maybe over Seney.

I'm not too high on Bastian, wanted Dahlen at that pick, and hope I'm dead wrong but I don't see Speers making any impact here.
Bastian's #'s are pretty pedestrian, but he is only in his + 1 year, doesn't play pp, and as noted the team has been bad.

On the other hand, doesn't get a lot of shots on net. Speers has 10 more sog's, both having played 29 games.

Edit: you actually like Gignac more then those 2? He's had the least impressive season of the 3.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Bastian's #'s are pretty pedestrian, but he is only in his + 1 year, doesn't play pp, and as noted the team has been bad.

On the other hand, doesn't get a lot of shots on net. Speers has 10 more sog's, both having played 29 games.

Edit: you actually like Gignac more then those 2? He's had the least impressive season of the 3.

Yes I do.

If Gignac can add more bulk and strength he has the speed, hands and vision to make the NHL.
It sux he's already out for the season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Being so close I think I'll wait to see how our top guys perform at the WJC and try to draw up a ranking after that.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
1. Anderson
2. McLeod
3. Quenneville
4. Boqvist
5. Rykov
6. Maltsev
7. Walsh
8. Zetterlund
9. Davies
10. Studenic

The top 8 are all razor thin margins. A guy like Maltsev could easily be top 3 in a couple weeks. The list would also move a ton depending on the weight you give to floor, ceiling, age, etc. For example, Boqvist has a higher ceiling than Quenneville at this point, but Quenneville should be able to step into a top 9 role in the nhl very soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad