CFL: 2017 Grey Cup Thread

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
more than enough time for a couple passes towards the sidelines to make it more manageable.
no need to throw a hail mary at that point in double coverage. get closer to guarantee at least a FG and go from there.
terrible call. not quite as bad as the semi final FG call but pretty bad.

Nice to see a Toronto team on top again. Hopefully TFC win as well

Hardly a Hail Mary from the 30 yard line.

You're already in field goal range and have a reasonable field goal attempt lined up. As I said, most QBs are thinking end zone. I don't think he should have thrown into double coverage, but had he played it safe and they lost in OT, everybody would be questioning why he didn't take his shot with 20 seconds left.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Another Grey Cup classic is in the books.

I can't help but feel for Stamps fans. The game was still there for the taking, but they gambled and lost.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Hardly a Hail Mary from the 30 yard line.

You're already in field goal range and have a reasonable field goal attempt lined up. As I said, most QBs are thinking end zone. I don't think he should have thrown into double coverage, but had he played it safe and they lost in OT, everybody would be questioning why he didn't take his shot with 20 seconds left.
Taking a shot is one thing. Throwing a suicide pass to a guy who was double covered is another.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
How about that halftime though.

ajw164440157-e1511750729305.jpg

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Taking a shot is one thing. Throwing a suicide pass to a guy who was double covered is another.

That's just it. The decision by the coaching staff to take a shot is perfectly acceptable. BLM tossing up a freebie into double coverage is inexplicable. That's the type of decision making we saw over the years from guys like Henry Burris. BLM typically takes care of the football. Just not on the last Sunday in November I guess.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
As much as you wanna give the winning team a lot of credit, I gotta agree with Bax here. That game was more of a Calgary loss than a Toronto win. They controlled this game, and their mistakes cost them the game.

Ricky Ray wasn’t very clutch, he wasn’t that great in this game at all.

Ricky Ray faced a more dominant pass rush from the Stamps then Mitchell did from the Argos - that effected Ray's game no doubt about it. You could clearly see the difference in the quality of the offensive lines.

Mitchell was also able to rely on Messam for some decent runs. Wilder did virtually nothing for Ray and the Argos offense. 15 yards rushing or something like that. This put more pressure on Ray to pass for first downs and he was put in many second and long situations.

When it counted Ray marched the team down the field with a few minutes remaining and set up the kicker for a relatively easy field goal. Given the conditions and lesser talents surrounding Ray compared to Mitchell, I thought he played fine.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
The one difference is, the Als lost to other great teams for the most part. They were maybe marginal favorites in 2000, 2006, and 2008. 2002, 2003 and 2005 were basically pick 'em games. I think they were solid favorites in 2009 and 2010, which they did win (as dubious as that 2009 win is).

Just a minor correction. In 2006 BC were pretty heavy favorites going into the Grey Cup as they had the best record in the league with a 13-5 record. Best offense and probably the best defense. Montreal was a rather pedestrian 10-8 last year.

I was at that Grey Cup and the score definitely flattered the Als. Many of the Lions' drives stalled resulting in short field goals. They dominated in net yardage and TOP.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
To borrow a quote from a poster on a Bomber forum...

So you (McDaniel) decide to go to the media after the game and publicly throw a teammate under the bus...

That don't impress me much.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I always get a chuckle out of baxterman's posts. Toronto scores a fluky 100 yard td on a pass?! lol. That was a perfect pass by Ricky Ray laying it right in there for the receiver at full speed.

Bo Levi Mitchell is a Grey Cup interception machine! 4 INTS in 2 Grey Cup games. Reilly sure didn't blow it like Mitchell did in the 2015 Grey Cup.

Even with the most egregious non-call in the game - an obvious pass interference call on Calgary that would have extended Toronto's drive deep into Calgary territory - Toronto still managed a victory.

You can really see the difference in the clutch abilities of Ricky Ray vs. Bovine Mitchell. Ray calmly leads the Argos down the field for a short field goal...the only issue I had with that drive is Ray passing it on second down...should have run it and take the clock down to 25 or so seconds after the field goal....fewer plays for Calgary.

Mitchell marches the Stamps down the field and foolishly throws into double coverage at the end of the drive to lose the game with an INT. Yes, the play was called by the OC but it's Mitchell's job to recognize there is little chance for the Stamp receiver to make the catch with the coverage. He failed and the Stamps lost end of story.
The play call there was right. The execution is what makes it look bad. All Mitchell needed to do was throw the ball to the back pylon and the worst that can happen is an incomplete pass, even with double coverage. Instead he under throws the receiver and his guy had no play on the ball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->