CFL: 2017 Grey Cup Thread

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I have said the same thing the last two times the Stamps lost so I guess I shouldn't be surprised by any outcome but I can't see how the Stamps lose this.

They are much more talented on both sides of the ball, have better special teams and at worst the coaching big is equal.

The Stamps have dominated the Argos the past few seasons so should win this handily but there is thecaways present choke factor that the Stamps seem to be better at than any team in pro sports.

I think Calgary wins fairly easily 31-20 with the Argos getting a late TD to make it look somewhat competitive at the end.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Calgary should win....but Calgary should have won last year. And in 2012.

I think the key to the game is Claybrooks' scheming against Ricky Ray. Blitzing is, and always has been, his kryptonite. For some reason, Don Matthews was the only coach that seemed to realize this and bring 7-man rushes over and over. I think Calgary has a smart enough coaching staff to bring pressure consistently. Toronto will need to counter that with screens and dump offs to James Wilder. I expect defensive MOP Alex Singleton to spy Wilder in those situations, and that's going to be the biggest one-on-one matchup. Toronto has their work cut out for them. They couldn't move the ball at all against Saskatchewan last week, needing a pick-6 to win. Calgary's defense isn't typically as aggressive as Sask's though, which is a benefit to the Argos.

Toronto's defense has been quietly solid for most of the season. I think in their minds, they know the likely need to hold Calgary's offense to 25 points or less and force a couple turnovers to have a serious chance of winning. Not a small task, but Bo-Levi Mitchell has tended to wilt in Grey Cup games. 3 picks last year to put the Stampeders on the wrong end of one of the biggest upsets in history. Had trouble moving the ball against a mediocre Hamilton defense as the Stamps were a holding penalty away from losing in 2014 as well. Will he finally come through with a great performance? Possibly, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Prediction: Calgary chokes again. 26-25 Argonauts. The Argos don't hold a victory parade, citing lack of fan interest.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I'd like to see Toronto win this cause of all the former Als; head coach Trestman, GM Popp, SJ Green and especially Bear Woods who was treated so badly by the Als.

Oh! And go Shania.:heart:

Reactions: Al14

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Stamps will take this one. They run a cycle of disappoint me one season, thrill me the next and we all remember what happened in 16.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Goig with my head, I would have to go with the Stamps here.

At the same time the Argos have won 5 straigt Grey Cup games (91, 96, 97, 04, 12). Comes down to the Ray and Wilder show IMO.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Going to go with T.O. I want to see wilder run wild. going to tune in after the rams/saints game. what a great day of football so far.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
All that snow in Ottawa and not a trace here just West of Montreal. Should be arriving soon I guess. but I hope not. Will make for a fun game, I hope the Argos found the staple gun. :laugh:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I’m pretty sure any noise for Toronto is Redblacks fans rooting for them. Very little crowd presence from Argos fans.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Just looked out the window and it's snowing. I knew we'd get it.

And touchdown Argos. Nice pass and run.. 100 yards, new record.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
How the hell does a hold like that get missed. Good freaking god.

Well a huge makeup call there I guess. Command centre strikes again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad