2017 Free Agency Could Be Thin on Elite Talent

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Nothing earth shattering here.....

The expansion draft --depending on the rules---could see a bunch of trades.

Some will be from teams who would be exposing talent like TB at forward or Anaheim/Minnesota on defense. Do these teams want to lose a player or do they trade them to another team.

Will teams be able to swy who Las Vegas picks. Either by team X telling Vegas we will give you prospect and or pick if you only pick for this short list of players. On the flip side team X has been trying to get a player from team Y who will be exposed. team Z says to Vegas draft him and send him to us and we will give you this.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
I don't even expect the 7 guys listed to all hit the free agent market. That still won't stop ridiculous contracts from being handed out, just like every summer.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
We say the same thing every year about every ufa class. It's quite comical

And it's true a lot of the time. This year included.

The truly elite don't seem to make it to July 1st as often as we the fans would like. Stamkos was the closest.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
There was no elite talent this year either. Not a big deal.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Oshie stands out to me. Would think caps definitely sign alzner and kuzy to significant contracts so there's a big chance he's available. What will he ask for on the market?

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
We can all but remove Benn from that list. I think there is no chance he is not signed long term for big money with Dallas.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Teams with an excess of cap space will use it even if it means more offer sheets. It would be more informative to see who the RFA's are next year

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
We say the same thing every year about every ufa class. It's quite comical

If you include Stamkos (who took meetings with teams prior to July 1st), the forward class alone this year was much deeper than the entire class next year (fwd, goalie, defence combined); That's before the inevitable re-signings of Benn and Burns; as well as some others.

Next year looks ugly.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It won't be like this year's pool for sure, but I still see some good names there that will spark interest and help teams like Marleau, Sharp, Miller, Oshie, Radulov (if he succeeds this year), Stafford, Shattenkirk, etc.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
It won't be like this year's pool for sure, but I still see some good names there that will spark interest and help teams like Marleau, Sharp, Miller, Oshie, Radulov (if he succeeds this year), Stafford, Shattenkirk, etc.

Based on previous years, you can probably assume that half that list won't make it to July 1st.

The scary thing is the list usually looks really good and by October its been whittled down to nothing.

this year, its starting at a low point.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Don't tell TSN this, they've already started the Tavares to Toronto talk.

member 157595

Generally speaking, if you're reliant on UFA signings to get your elite talent in a hard-capped league, you're doing it wrong.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Why MB insisted on 1-year deal with the second-tier wingers in this year's free agency, I'll never understand.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Oshie stands out to me. Would think caps definitely sign alzner and kuzy to significant contracts so there's a big chance he's available. What will he ask for on the market?

If he pots 25-30 again this year, I'd guess he gets 6 million plus per year. If the Caps end up moving Marcus Johansson (current RFA) this summer, I'd think that opens up a little more money for the Caps to retain Oshie. Given what I saw from Oshie this season, I hope that is the way it plays out. He was good during the regular season and great in the playoffs.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am surprised we didn't see more 1 year deals this year(from player pushing for that). I think next year will be a great year to be a UFA due to all the spots opening up due to expansion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad