2017 Football Thread III: End of an Eli

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This makes the whole Eli benching all the more odd, unless Mara's intent was to motivate Eli with a benching, then showcase a motivated Eli with McADoo gone for the final four games.
My understanding is that Mara was on board with benching Eli but not on board with how Reese and McAdoo did it. Then further than that, I don't think he expected the reaction that he got. From the fans, the media, and probably most especially, former Giants players. The "revolt" was on in full force.

Solid assumption is that he needed to shit can McAdoo and Reese before this week's home game against DAL. Fans might've been brutal.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Eli's game isn't based on mobility, so there is no reason to think he couldn't still be a serviceable QB for another 5 years.

Question is is he worth that to the Giants at his salary.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
My understanding is that Mara was on board with benching Eli but not on board with how Reese and McAdoo did it. Then further than that, I don't think he expected the reaction that he got. From the fans, the media, and probably most especially, former Giants players. The "revolt" was on in full force.

Solid assumption is that he needed to **** can McAdoo and Reese before this week's home game against DAL. Fans might've been brutal.

That makes complete sense. If true, that indirectly might be Eli's greatest gift to the organization after the two Super Bowls.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
This is a very fair take. He's a smart dude, though. I like smart people.

No thanks. Being a smart dude, doesn't make him a football guy. The past two drafts they've passed on franchise QBs. For a franchise that hasn't had one since they've entered the league, what were they waiting for? Would you rather have 20 draft picks or 1 franchise QB? Kizer may or may not be a player, but I'd certainly rather have Wentz or Watson. Hard pass on the moneyball GM.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
No thanks. Being a smart dude, doesn't make him a football guy. The past two drafts they've passed on franchise QBs. For a franchise that hasn't had one since they've entered the league, what were they waiting for? Would you rather have 20 draft picks or 1 franchise QB? Kizer may or may not be a player, but I'd certainly rather have Wentz or Watson. Hard pass on the moneyball GM.
This doesn't really make sense. The Browns never had the opportunity to draft Wentz. It's also not like the story has been completely written on Watson, who from what I remember, was touted, but not the most highly touted guy.

And, as @Hunter Gathers said, they seem to like Kizer.

Why am I defending the Browns? :laugh:

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
This doesn't really make sense. The Browns never had the opportunity to draft Wentz. It's also not like the story has been completely written on Watson, who from what I remember, was touted, but not the most highly touted guy.

And, as @Hunter Gathers said, they seem to like Kizer.

Why am I defending the Browns? :laugh:

:laugh:

They traded the 2OA pick to the Eagles. They could've, ummm ya know, kept it. :sarcasm:

Not picking on you, SF. Just saying we don't need a moneyball guy, or a guy from that losing culture to fix our losing culture.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
:laugh:

They traded the 2OA pick to the Eagles. They could've, ummm ya know, kept it. :sarcasm:

Not picking on you, SF. Just saying we don't need a moneyball guy, or a guy from that losing culture to fix our losing culture.
Oh, derp.

Well, they got a hell of a haul for it.

1st, 3rd, 4th, 1st in '17, 2nd in '18.

Then they flipped the 1st round pick they got for:

1st, 3rd, and 2nd in '17.

Holy hell.

So, it's all that, or Carson Wentz? I mean...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rofl. So Manning is starting again?

I hate this team right now. Everything about it.

Let's not evaluate a third round pick. Let's just say "f*** it" and start the near-37-year-old with no real future on the team. Just due to nostalgia.

Last edited:

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Oh, derp.

Well, they got a hell of a haul for it.

1st, 3rd, 4th, 1st in '17, 2nd in '18.

Then they flipped the 1st round pick they got for:

1st, 3rd, and 2nd in '17.

Holy hell.

So, it's all that, or Carson Wentz? I mean...

Right, but the Eagles are 10-2. And the Browns & all their picks... 0-12, with no sign of turning it around anytime soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->