2017 Football Thread III: End of an Eli

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
lol Josh McCown may be my playoff starter since he's actually been pretty damn solid this year and Dak's freefall parachute got replaced with a fire hydrant.

benched prescott for mccown in one of my fantasy leagues. its crazy how bad the cowgirls are without elliot

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I don't see how he "outperformed" Eli at all. His mobility was a breath of fresh air, but most of his passes were off the mark, threw behind receivers a bunch. Threw only the one airmail pass that Engram went HAM on, got bailed out by a lot of YAC and some great catches. Penalties also kept some drives alive.

He played well enough, but to say that he "outperformed" Eli is a bit much, IMO.

Really? A guy off the bench who hasn’t played in ages performed just as well (at the minimum) as our $20+M starter who hasn’t missed a game in years. That speaks volumes and it should be enough to show management that we officially need to move on.

When was he really off the mark? He wasn’t airmailing guys. His worst pass was one to Shep that was behind him, but close enough that Shep still made the grab. His main problem was that he held onto the ball too much. A problem dating back to college.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Also, if the reports about McAdoo getting fired today are accurate, what a shit show by management.

With a decision this huge, I find it hard to believe that Reese and Mara weren't in lockstep with McAdoo on the Eli benching. Now, after the backlash, they're going to can him. I want McAdoo gone as much as anyone, but what a gutless attempt to escape culpability by management.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Really? A guy off the bench who hasn’t played in ages performed just as well (at the minimum) as our $20+M starter who hasn’t missed a game in years. That speaks volumes and it should be enough to show management that we officially need to move on.

When was he really off the mark? He wasn’t airmailing guys. His worst pass was one to Shep that was behind him, but close enough that Shep still made the grab. His main problem was that he held onto the ball too much. A problem dating back to college.
I take issue with the notion that Geno performed just as well "at the minimum" as Eli.

Nothing he did yesterday, to me, stood out, besides being able to beat Eli in a race.

I'd much rather be playing Webb right now.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I take issue with the notion that Geno performed just as well "at the minimum" as Eli.

Nothing he did yesterday, to me, stood out, besides being able to beat Eli in a race.

I'd much rather be playing Webb right now.

He performed the exact same as Eli has. Hell, his yards per throw were basically the same (212) as Eli's season-long average. I'm not sure how you can even take issue with that. A single game, after not playing in ages, and he basically goes the same as Eli (all in near identical situations)? It's really not debatable that they performed on a roughly equal basis, at the minimum. Frankly, it seems like pure Eli fanboy-ism to say the opposite.

And the idea that his mobility in the pocket didn't stand out to you is incredibly perplexing. If you take a better QB who is similarly mobile as Geno, you end up with a much better player than either of those guys are. The simple fact that he didn't collapse on himself at the sight of pressure was a welcome change.

I saw what I needed to see with Geno. That Eli Manning is no better than a replacement-level player as it sits.

I'm not sure what the final sentence is in regards to since it's something that I've said already. Webb should be getting half of the next game and he should be transitioned to starter after.

Reactions: TheTakedown

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
He performed the exact same as Eli has. Hell, his yards per throw were basically the same (212) as Eli's season-long average. I'm not sure how you can even take issue with that. A single game, after not playing in ages, and he basically goes the same as Eli (all in near identical situations)? It's really not debatable that they performed on a roughly equal basis, at the minimum. Frankly, it seems like pure Eli fanboy-ism to say the opposite.

And the idea that his mobility in the pocket didn't stand out to you is incredibly perplexing. If you take a better QB who is similarly mobile as Geno, you end up with a much better player than either of those guys are. The simple fact that he didn't collapse on himself at the sight of pressure was a welcome change.

I'm not sure what the final sentence is in regards to since it's something that I've said already. Webb should be getting half of the next game and he should be transitioned to starter after.
I said his mobility in the pocket was the only thing that stood out, not that it didn't stand out.

You can accuse me of "Eli fanboy-ism" as easily as I can accuse you of anti-Eli bias.

Let's say Eli threw that ball to Engram where he made the ridiculous catch, or the ball to Sheppard where it was behind him and then Sheppard went for what, 30 YAC? Let's ay Eli threw those balls. What would you have said during the game? I'm sure with Engram, it'd have been something along the lines of Eli airmailing another one and he's lucky Engram bailed him out. With Shep, something similar. Eli missing the target, and Sheppard making a great play.

Now, I'm not saying that you're crediting Geno on these plays, but I have an extremely difficult time believing you wouldn't have railed Eli for those throws.

sidenote: Does anyone have YAC stats from yesterday? I'd like to compare Geno's total YAC yesterday to Eli's avg out of curiosity. What about PFF numbers, or QBR?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I said his mobility in the pocket was the only thing that stood out, not that it didn't stand out.

You can accuse me of "Eli fanboy-ism" as easily as I can accuse you of anti-Eli bias.

Let's say Eli threw that ball to Engram where he made the ridiculous catch, or the ball to Sheppard where it was behind him and then Sheppard went for what, 30 YAC? Let's ay Eli threw those balls. What would you have said during the game? I'm sure with Engram, it'd have been something along the lines of Eli airmailing another one and he's lucky Engram bailed him out. With Shep, something similar. Eli missing the target, and Sheppard making a great play.

Now, I'm not saying that you're crediting Geno on these plays, but I have an extremely difficult time believing you wouldn't have railed Eli for those throws.

sidenote: Does anyone have YAC stats from yesterday? I'd like to compare Geno's total YAC yesterday to Eli's avg out of curiosity. What about PFF numbers, or QBR?

I would've said gorgeous catch without any other comment. Generally what I say when a player bails out his QB. Not sure what you're even getting at, since I post the same f***ing thing no matter who is behind center.

Sort of like how I said gorgeous throw on the TD pass to Engram like I've said when Eli has hit Engram in the endzone.

You have a serious case of selective memory, man.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I would've said gorgeous catch without any other comment. Generally what I say when a player bails out his QB. Not sure what you're even getting at, since I post the same ****ing thing no matter who is behind center.

Sort of like how I said gorgeous throw on the TD pass to Engram like I've said when Eli has hit Engram in the endzone.

You have a serious case of selective memory, man.
Maybe, maybe not, maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Maybe, maybe not, maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.

No, the truth is what I just said it is. Whenever you see me saying "great catch", it's generally due to a poorly placed ball (not something so egregious to point out it being a bad throw). Eli has a ton of those. Most QBs do. Geno had some yesterday. Not every ball is thrown on target. I'll rip on Eli if he's throwing the ball to no one (either airmailing it or throwing it so low that his receiver can't get to it).

For example, the prime example of Geno airmailing it yesterday was a slightly high pass to King. However, it wasn't out of King's grasp as it went right through his hands. So while it was a high pass, it should've been caught. Whenever I've bashed Eli for airmailing a pass, it's due to the receiver having to be multiple feet off the ground to have a chance (King was about 3 inches off the ground on that play, for reference).

It's the same shit week in, week out. I'm incredibly consistent with my comments. Stop this selective memory bullshit.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
God damn. This is all so surreal. Hopefully we get a fully cleaned house. Cut Manning, get rid of the assistants (can Quinn FINALLY go?!?!?), and don’t hire internally.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Spags interim? What's the "market" like for GM availability? Can we steal DePodesta from the Browns? Should we?

I think this also all but guarantees a QB selection in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->