2017 Football Thread III: End of an Eli

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I
Gotta assume that Flowers moves to RT now. I'l go out on a limb and say he'll actually flourish there.

The interior line is still a mess, though.
I like Brett Jones, he was good, and certaintly better than Richburg, last year. DJ Fluker is passable as a Guard, if we draft another one we have a decent line next year.

Edit: Actually, no. I don't buy Flowers as a RT.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Only if they believe that one of these guys is a franchise QB. Otherwise, you take Barkley, if he's there.

If we spend this pick on a OG, I'm gonna be furious.

Yea I can understand this point of view too. I am pro-QB at 2, but if they don't see anyone as an elite guy I'd be ok with either Saquon or a trade down.

But I am really hoping they land the next guy at 2.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'm not sold on Bridgewatter, even as stop gap.
Although I would love to go with a build piece, I think Jets have to consider QB.
I think it was Bill Pollan on M Kay yester day and he say all 4 of the top QBs prospects have issues. I think he was saying to effect Allen is the best one for Jets.
That's okay. And we can re-up 1 yr the guy from last yr to start again, cheap enuf. even if he is possible injury risk pushing towards 40.
But we need to get like Paxton Lynch, who we should have taken the first time, and lose Hackenberg.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I love what the Jets did today. Two veteran QBs, one who still could hold a ton of upside, allowing them to take a QB in the draft if one is there that they like BUT not otherwise feel like they MUST take one.

Signing Trumaine Johnson is huge, especially if they can land another starting-caliber CB. Johnson, FA/draft, Skrine, plus the two young safeties is the makings for a very good secondary.

And then Crowell is a great signing. I've always liked him. Versatile, durable. Draft another and they're in pretty decent shape there.
Bridgewater has not completed a pass since 2015. Trumaine Johnson is the #68 CB per PFF. I don't see him being worth $15 million but it's 1 year and Jets have to pay someone to be cap compliant so whatever. Will McCown follow in Fitz's footsteps in his 2nd year or prove 2017 wasn't a fluke?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Bridgewater has not completed a pass since 2015. Trumaine Johnson is the #68 CB per PFF. I don't see him being worth $15 million but it's 1 year and Jets have to pay someone to be cap compliant so whatever. Will McCown follow in Fitz's footsteps in his 2nd year or prove 2017 wasn't a fluke?
PFF also has Johnson allowing 1 TD in 932 snaps last year. The opposing passer rating against him was under 80. Is that really the 68th best CB in the league? If so, there are a f***ing load of really good CBs in the league. PFF isn't the gospel truth and I've always found their "overall" rankings kind of strange. JMO, though. Yeah Johnson is overpaid by a few million but he limits big plays, he doesn't give up touchdowns, and he's a perfect fit in the Jets' scheme. It's also a multi-year deal, not just one year.

With McCown and Bridgewater you get two character guys who can mentor the young QB you hopefully draft. And then you've got two veteran guys to play out the season while that guy grows. Maybe Bridgewater picks up where he left off a couple years ago. He was a pocket passer anyway. Maybe he can be Vinny Testaverde, who had no knees. Anyway, signing the two is giving yourself two potential options and hedging your bets.

Plus, like I said. Crowell was solid. Williamson is a good move. Long was a decent signing with upside. I like the moves. I expect a few more and then I'm hoping for a good draft. Get the Jets back into position where instead of crumbling in the fourth they're winning those games and making the playoffs.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Who said that? But I distinctly remember you saying something about how much endorsement money he'd get playing in NY.

You basically said the Browns would buy him over everyone. The Jets are a worse team than the Vikings and the Browns significantly worse than both. The idea that the Browns were ever a contender him died very early on.

He IS passing on money. He’s trying to win. Which is why he surely wouldn’t go to Cleveland.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
And in all honesty, I am fine trading him if we can get 90 cents on the dollar. I'm not fine trading a generational talent for less than that. I'd normally want 1.10 on the dollar or more.
At the current time, what would you say is 90 cents on the dollar for OBJ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad